Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 06-03-09
Valued Member

Default headlight wiring upgrade

Hi all,
I have a Pirana superloom from another vehicle. Manufacturer says it will fit/suit the new NS fine.

Has anyone upgraded the guage of the headlight wiring on their NS?

I have found with other vehicles it has made a huge difference but ive not owned a mitsubishi before, and maybe the guage of wires used as standard is sufficient...

Cheers
Gary
Old 06-03-09
Valued Member

If you DOUBLE the thickness of the headlight wiring, the right side lamp will be as bright as the left one was before.

Yes, the wiring run to the right light is about twice as long as to the left one, so there is double the voltage drop in the right light.

If you can't see any difference in brightness between the left and right lights now, then you won't see any difference with improved wiring.

If you really want to test it, disconnect the harness to the left bulb and use two heavy wires to connect the bulb direct to the battery, even bypassing any relays. Now check if you can see any difference between the two.

Spending a hundred dollars on a new harness and then going for a drive and concluding, "yes that money was well spent, I'm sure it's brighter" is not a realistic approach.
Old 07-03-09
Valued Member

I rewired my headlights myself, using relays and heavy gauge wire. Whilst I can't remember the figues I took, my voltmeter told me that there was a significant improvement in the voltage available to the lights at their socket, when turned on - ie the current draw was happening which will tend to reduce voltage if the wire gauge is inadequate.

This is an interesting article on the topic, from a Landrover owners site:

http://users.mrbean.net.au/~rover/headlamps.htm

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
Old 09-03-09
Valued Member

wont cost me any extra - I already have the loom... was just wondering if there was a voltage drop problem in the pajero as in many other vehicles - seems that there is but will only be able to measure the difference in brightness by the 'seat of pants ometer' !

Cheers
Gary
Old 09-03-09

Send a message via Skype™ to whatsupkramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawk View Post
wont cost me any extra - I already have the loom... was just wondering if there was a voltage drop problem in the pajero as in many other vehicles - seems that there is but will only be able to measure the difference in brightness by the 'seat of pants ometer' !

Cheers
Gary
Gary

How abouts turning the lights on and using a volt meter to determine what the voltage drop is. If you don't have one it is always a usefull tool to have and you can pick cheep ones up for less then $20. (I am not saying that they are any good as I need Cat IV meters for work so I use the Fluke's)

Chris