• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smcguane
    • Jul 2008

Wheel Size Options

Hi Guys,

I am new here and recently bought a 1996 NJ Pajero.

So far the work done is as follows

* Dual Battery System
    * Approx 2inch lift at the back (have not wound tortion bar up at the front yet)
    * TJM Winch Bull Bar
    * Alpine Stereo - clarion splits
    * 12volt sockets front and back including fridge power
    * Hella spotlights ( old ones changing over to lightforce xgt next week )

The main problem i have now is working out what wheel / tyre size to get for my pajero.

Can i run 35's like i see on the SWB pajeros or do i need major modifications for that?

What options do i have for wheel sizes as i am looking to buy a set this week.

S

My Pajero Picture 1
    My Pajero Picture 2
  • Shayne
    • Oct 2007
    • Outer East - Melbourne

Hi - hope I can help you with this info
    With a 2" Spring Lift you will only fit 265 on 16" rims or 32's on 15" Rims
    33" or 305 70 16 will fit on, but will rub on the front guards when you turn and touch the rear guards when the suspension is compressed.
    Tyre height is the issue. Guys who run 33 and 35" tyres have installed a 2" or higher body lift as well as suspension lift
    Even when running 33" tyres the gearing suffers and the speedo is out
    It makes low range even taller, reduces power overall - this is due to larger rolling dia
    To run 35" tyres the diff gearing would need to be changed and the transfer gears changed to make low range usable. I am not being negative towards these type of changes, they are great - but cost money.
    It looks like you have 16 x 8" standard alloys fitted - maybe put 265 on these rims? It depends on your intended application - off road weapon or touring.
    I run 265 75 16 on 16 x 8 Steel rims Landcrusier offset. This places the wheels further out towards the guards - making the track wider
    If went though this with my NL. Tried 4 different size rims with 33 32 305 and 265 tyres and tested them to see which was the best application.

I'm not an expert - just sharing my personal view. Stand to be corrected by anyone!!!
    97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

Comment

• redpaj
      • Aug 2007

I run 35inch simexs et'2 with a 20mm suspension lift and a 2inch body lift with no sway bars and I clear them fine on my lwb nj pajero. you will notice your gearing is out but personaly it hasnt bothed me to much since I can still crawl around it the hard stuff.

Simon

Comment

• smcguane
        • Jul 2008

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input.

I do want to take this baby offroad .. but not crazy stuff as i have wife and kids .. at the same time though i dont want to be inhibited by ruts and low ride height.

What would be the recommended solution ...?

Would i be right in saying 2" body lift and 33's with sunraysia rims?
        or should i get some simmex of bfg muddies for my stock rims at 31 ( i think its 31 )

Comment

• redpaj
          • Aug 2007

you will be fine at putting a true 32inch tyre on with no body lift but if you do do a body lift I would get 33" tyres if you are going to use the car every day or if they are only play tyres 34 or 35" tyres.

Simon

Comment

• m1s3ry
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Kalorama, VIC.

Taller tyres will always be better, no point in having all the tread in the world if you are sitting on your diffs BTW 33's are a good size for the Paj.
            Steele Perkins (#1263)
            NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• nj pajero
              • Nov 2007

here is mine with a 2inch body lift and 33s since this i have put some 8 inch sunraises on it with the navara/mitsubishi off set

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Shayne View Post
                It looks like you have 16 x 8" standard alloys fitted - maybe put 265 on these rims?
                For the record, those rims are 15x7", and I think 31x10.5R15 is about the largest "common" tyre size available to suit. I had no trouble running this size of tyre on my NJ.

Later model GLS Pajeros came with 16x7" alloys, which will fit 265/75R16 tyres, nominally 32". Since you have the 3.5 (with a "factory body lift") you should be able to run these without scrubbing, and this would be what I would recommend for touring.

If you want larger again, you should be able to fit 285/75R16 (33") on 16x8" rims. I run Patrol fitment (zero offset) rims, because the minor change in offset helps correct the impact on steering geometry caused by the taller tyres. I also have a 24 tooth speedo gear which has corrected the speedometer nicely.

If you want larger than that, I can't help.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• smcguane
                  • Jul 2008

Hi Guys,

Well to respond to some of the information you have posted.

This 4x4 is only used to drive to the train station each morning approx 2kms and does not get used for every day driving.

On weekends unless im going specifically to pickup anything large its parked as i have another car.

So ... in saying that if i got 33"s i will need a 2" body lift .. does anyone know how much this costs?

Comment

• redpaj
                    • Aug 2007

oh I just looked at the pic and your paj does have the factory 35mm body lift so you should be fine at just running 33inch or 285/75/16 tyres with out modifing or changeing anything.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X