Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 29-09-19

Default What would you upgrade a Pajero to

Hi Everyone

My NS manual Pajero has given me a few bills lately, it does have about 325000 kms on it and has done its share of off road, towed vans and my teenage boys borrow it regularly and probably give it a hard time so I can’t complain, I am quite fond of my Pajero.

I did think I should upgrade, but that is not cheap and there is nothing out there that I actually like. If I was just buying a car for myself it would probably be a WRX or i
I30N, but they can’t tow the caravan and the I30N would be painful in ski season and don’t do the 7 seater kid carrying stuff my wife likes.

I must admit for the other 1 percent of my driving I love the ability to go off road, now I have done it, I don’t want to lose it.

But what can I replace my Pajero with, ours is a manual which is why I bought it. They tell me I can’t bu6 a new manual Pajero, turns out I can’t buy a manual for most Fourbiees now. One thing I do like is the Pajero AWD on road capability, I only just found out the Holden and Isuzu and most others do not offer this.

I have had to replace heaps of suspension parts and I think I may have too many super pro bushings now that my NVH is worse than a new Pajero.

I can not find a replacement for my car I actually like, I am just about to spend $5000 this month fixing it up again.

But what car replaces it as I am lost, I
Ike the AWD 4H setting so many cars do not have this so as much as I liked the Colorado or Trailblazer missing this option rules them out. Isuzu tells me I void my warranty with a load levelling hitch so no AWD or hitch it is gone.

As the Pajero has not really changed since 1999 I am unsure if I should buy the same car. Toyota’s have that PDF nightmare and the new Pathfinder looks boring.

A new Pajero seems to be my fav option, although the local dealer put me off with some delay delivery issue. Having driven an MUX loved its 8 litres per 100 km fuel consumption compared to me at 2l/100 km higher.

Anyway can you guys please suggest some options?

Cheers

Peter

PS As nothing rocks my boat I fully expect I will end up fixing my Pajero.

Last edited by Mitsu07; 30-09-19 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo corrections
Old 29-09-19
Valued Member

I don't know either so I just keep patching my NM up.
Dean
NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.
Old 29-09-19
Valued Member

A low kilometre NW or pre-DPF NX.

Much cheaper than new and some may still be under factory warranty.

I went through a similar exercise about 12 months ago and decided to keep the NW. At that time it was 5 years old, just coming out of warranty and had about 47,000kms. It's probably good for another 300,000km and the new ones don't really offer anything that would have swung my decision.
Old 29-09-19
Valued Member

I was really tempted by the Paj Sport, particularly the next model due out here in early 2020 or maybe a Triton for towing but at this point, I think I've decided to keep my NX. It's sturdy, has enough power and is bloody reliable (no DPF)
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 30-09-19

I'll buy a Wrangler as soon as I can...

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.
Old 30-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
I'll buy a Wrangler as soon as I can...

You poor disillusioned bugger....a jeep? Thats classed as self abuse!!!

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 30-09-19

a Prado 150 would be nice .
Old 30-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgtr View Post
a Prado 150 would be nice .
I just spent 2 weeks in a brand new gutless & wallowy Prado and couldn't wait to get back into my powerful & agile Pajero.
They are far more different than I would have thought.
Depends what you want from the car, but be sure to live with one for a week or two before buying.
Old 30-09-19
Valued Member

New defender.....but not before its been out for awhile just incase its as reliable as a landrover.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 30-09-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seigried View Post
New defender.....but not before its been out for awhile just incase its as reliable as a landrover.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hi, thanks for the feedback, my Paj has 325000kms on it. My teenage and 20 something kids flog it hard, plus now I did the off road stuff I am not sure I can give it up. If I did not need to tow my wifes caravan and the older kids ski trips Id have a hot hatch or commodore V8, but there is nothing else out there with AWD and the towing capacity I like.

I guess I will just throw another few thousand at a new clutch and drive shaft.

Once again thanks for the feedback. I am on my 2nd lift kit which compared to the first is awesome, plus bull bar, winch and stuff plus a few extra mods to get proper wheel alignment which the lift so might just keep it.

Cheers

Peter