• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul77
    • Apr 2017
    • Sunny Coast

Outdated uhf radios

I'm looking for a uhf radio. I want to get a 5W hand held unit which I can connect to my bullbar antenna.
    I read a bit about them and read somebody complaining about a fairly new uniden handset because it doesn't have a usb connection for charging and apparently the menu is very complicated. This got me thinking:
    Why do radios look like we are in the 1980s? Where is the touch screen and USB?? Why don't they have WiFi for software updates?? Does anyone know of a modern day uhf? I know that there is a Garmin GPS with inbuilt uhf (can't be connected to external antenna though). And the display is hardly modern!
    I know that a new phone isn't as strong as a good uhf but surely there is a way to find a good compromise!!?
    I don't really want to spend $300 on a radio on wich I have to hit the mode button 5 times to change the settings!
    Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

Sold:1997 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC V6
    2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.
  • paul77
    • Apr 2017
    • Sunny Coast

So I am the only one?
    Does anyone know of an at least a little more advanced handheld 5w radio?
    With good menu layout, USB, etc..

Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

Yes I agree, I get tired of scrolling the menus on my little hand helds and even my wired unit in the wagon definately looks dated to the 80's

No idea of reasonable solutions though
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

i find my 5w no name handheld virtually useless INSIDE the Pajero.
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

this thread prompted me to look at uhf cb,s and i found this

I dont know much about radios etc,its the sort of thing that you dont really know much till you start using them and talking to people who do know this stuff...

is THIS more like you expect paul77?
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• rykiel575
            • Sep 2017
            • Sydney

Id prefer an older style versus a modern touchscreen for reliability sake.
            2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
              this thread prompted me to look at uhf cb,s and i found this

I dont know much about radios etc,its the sort of thing that you dont really know much till you start using them and talking to people who do know this stuff...

is THIS more like you expect paul77?
              Tep, except it's missing the two things he asked for, hand held and USB charger.
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• paul77
                • Apr 2017
                • Sunny Coast

Thanks everyone. That GME looks pretty good! I was after a handheld but it's generally good to see that they are working on updating cb radio technology. I might buy something a bit cheaper to get me through another couple of years until there are more models to choose from!

Comment

• Fritterbug
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2013
                  • Brisbane

That GME looks interesting. However even though I love technology and all the latest gadgets I don't see the point in that GME.
                  When I use a UHF I generally just set it to whatever channel and then unless I want to talk then that's it.
                  I remember buying a GME with Selcall and got all excited about using it. That was nearly 20 years ago. So far I've used Selcall once as I soon found out no one else I new had a Selcall unit. Early days though so I might get a second go at it :-)
                  I'd rather technology improvements went towards clarity, range etc
                  My GME Tx3420 is still going strong
                  MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• geopaj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
                    Id prefer an older style versus a modern touchscreen for reliability sake.
                    Given how easy it is to break a smartphone’s touch screen, I’ll be sticking with my ‘old fashioned ‘ handheld with physical buttons (which has been dropped on concrete/rocks/in mud several times and lives rolling around in my glovebox but is still going strong)
                    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• daw
                      • Feb 2016
                      • Melbourne

May I suggest the following units for in car usage -

Unit - the uniden UHF CB 9060 model, https://www.uniden.com.au/product/uh906

Antenna - RFI CDQ5000 model, https://www.prestigecom.net.au/rfi-c...-5dbi-uhf-cb-a

I get some 25km range with both....

Handheld are mainly for back to car communications and not much else. Yeah sure a good (expensive) unit will get some 1 to 2 km away, but the best car to car comms is done via a car mount unit, more clearer & reliable instead of the crackling handheld. But having said this, the weather & environment conditions play an important part two, so while a handheld pushes 5w a good mobile setup pushing the same 5w will get far better coverage too...
                      2016 GLS NX Midnight Black Pajero, diesel, factory fitted towpack & low profile chrome nudge bar, legal tinted front windows & UV clear tint on rear windows, 23 inch 336W Osram LED Lightbar with a full LED conversion of the factory standard bulbs all together with full canvas seat covers and the SPVi mod....

Sometimes, it not all about going bush. Instead, its all about the looks!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X