• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

The advice on always grounding a connection

Why is this always suggested over just going to the batteries negative terminal? say with spotlights & cable runs for fridges.

All parts of the vehicle exposed body have paint & are not bare metal, so there must be some significant resistance from the layer of paint. My bonnet pressure switch did not work while touching the metal frame, only in a pre existing hole where some of the paint was not present i think.

In my bonnet the main ground site looks to be attached to a worn area with no paint. or maybe an area that is rustless steel?

maybe I'm wrong about the paint? please correct me if so.

thanks
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • jimsutt
    • Jun 2012
    • Sydney

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
    Why is this always suggested over just going to the batteries negative terminal? say with spotlights & cable runs for fridges.

All parts of the vehicle exposed body have paint & are not bare metal, so there must be some significant resistance from the layer of paint. My bonnet pressure switch did not work while touching the metal frame, only in a pre existing hole where some of the paint was not present i think.

In my bonnet the main ground site looks to be attached to a worn area with no paint. or maybe an area that is rustless steel?

maybe I'm wrong about the paint? please correct me if so.

thanks
    It's better to go back to battery negative than try an connect to vehicle body... If you check out the existing wiring you will see negatives run to all lights etc.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

As you've noticed, manufacturers ground to body, rather than running everything back to the battery negative in individual, separate circuits. Reasons for this include cost (less cabling) and reduced weight.

More importantly though, the body represents a much lower resistance than individual returns, so lighter cabling can be used on the positive side to still get minimal voltage drop in any circuit. Less cabling also reduces the likelihood of failures due to cable damage. Done properly the possibility of creating ground loops is also reduced.

What is essential, though, is the quality of the connection. Grounding to body won't work if you just drill a hole in a light gauge panel and pop a bolt and nut through it. If you look at the factory grounding points you'll see that they usually use a welded nut on the back of lighter panels. Since this is attached before painting there is a good connection to the panel and the electricity can flow through the bolt and the threaded section where there is no paint. The use of toothed washers can also improve the connection, biting through the painted surface to the metal underneath.

In later model vehicles with "smart" alternators grounding to body also enables the current flow to be monitored (through a single cable connection to the battery negative) so that alternator output can be adjusted to compensate for the load.
      Last edited by NFT5; 11-01-18, 08:21 AM.
      Chris

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
        As you've noticed, manufacturers ground to body, rather than running everything back to the battery negative in individual, separate circuits. Reasons for this include cost (less cabling) and reduced weight.

More importantly though, the body represents a much lower resistance than individual returns, so lighter cabling can be used on the positive side to still get minimal voltage drop in any circuit. Less cabling also reduces the likelihood of failures due to cable damage. Done properly the possibility of creating ground loops is also reduced.

What is essential, though, is the quality of the connection. Grounding to body won't work if you just drill a hole in a light gauge panel and pop a bolt and nut through it. If you look at the factory grounding points you'll see that they usually use a welded nut on the back of lighter panels. Since this is attached before painting there is a good connection to the panel and the electricity can flow through the bolt and the threaded section where there is no paint. The use of toothed washers can also improve the connection, biting through the painted surface to the metal underneath.

In later model vehicles with "smart" alternators grounding to body also enables the current flow to be monitored (through a single cable connection to the battery negative) so that alternator output can be adjusted to compensate for the load.
        Totally correct. I have found that nearly all accessories I have purchased and requiring wiring do state that scrape off any paint and dirt from a surface before bolting/screwing earth fixture to body work. Same as a battery terminal...clean and shiny is required for an excellent join between terminal and connector. Dirty connections lead to high resistance connections that will not allow accessory to function correctly.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• traktor
          • Oct 2013
          • sydney

I found these articles useful

http://www.w8ji.com/battery_wiring.htm

It explains why you should use ground connections instead of the negative post.
          Also one can find description and photos of proper ground connections.
          Here is an extract from the article:

Sharing the negative battery lead to engine bolt with anything else or connecting directly to the battery negative post with anything except the block and chassis grounds is a terrible idea. (Connecting electrical devices or hardware directly to a battery negative post is a bad idea (no matter who tells you to do it) unless the negative connection is 100% ground isolated at the electrical device.) When an electrical device is directly connected to the negative post, if the negative post to block or chassis connection opens up or develops excessive resistance, the battery negative post will divert alternator or starter current through whatever is attached to the negative post. This can be hundreds of amperes! Very few devices and wiring will suffer a fault like this without permanent damage. It is also a fire risk.
          NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by traktor View Post
            Sharing the negative battery lead to engine bolt with anything else or connecting directly to the battery negative post with anything except the block and chassis grounds is a terrible idea. (Connecting electrical devices or hardware directly to a battery negative post is a bad idea (no matter who tells you to do it) unless the negative connection is 100% ground isolated at the electrical device.) When an electrical device is directly connected to the negative post, if the negative post to block or chassis connection opens up or develops excessive resistance, the battery negative post will divert alternator or starter current through whatever is attached to the negative post. This can be hundreds of amperes! Very few devices and wiring will suffer a fault like this without permanent damage. It is also a fire risk.
            Balderdash.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• traktor
              • Oct 2013
              • sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Balderdash.
              Perhaps, you need to read the full article ...
              NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Perhaps, you need to read the full article ...
                OK - I take it back.

He's worried about making a connection at the battery post, and again elsewhere in the vehicle, creating a parallel path through the ground wire. I read that he was worried about the hundreds of amps flowing through the equipment itself.

I apologise.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• traktor
                  • Oct 2013
                  • sydney

The auther builds race cars, i'd imagine his requirements are tougher then for 'normal' cars due to safety concerns. I learned a few tricks from him.

Particularity I use dialectic grease for all electrical connections, specifically when crimping.

Comment

• Bru9
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Victoria

Thanks all.

Forgot to add: what about rust between the connector & body? Since the site is not stainless. So if you scuff the paint back wont rust inevitable develop between the connection?
                    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• 06PAJ
                      • May 2017
                      • Brissy

You will always get corrosion with dissimilar metals
                      Use the grease for connections to avoid corrosion for a little while
                      2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
                      2014 NW 3.2L VRX
                      Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• Turorit
                        • Oct 2016
                        • Adelaide

I found these articles useful

http://www.w8ji.com/battery_wiring.htm

It explains why you should use ground connections instead of the negative post.
                        Also one can find description and photos of proper ground connections.
                        Thanks for the links, very interesting reading.

How has everyone wired their winches? Mine included a negative lead long enough to reach the battery negative post, which is what I've done.
                        I feel like I should cut this to a shorter 40cm lead and go straight from the winch to the chassis rails/similar?

Similarly I've run 4m of double-sheath twin 6B&S to the rear for my fridge & compressor. Negative lead straight to the battery post...

Fire hazard(s) waiting to happen?
                        2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
                        --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                          Thanks all.

Forgot to add: what about rust between the connector & body? Since the site is not stainless. So if you scuff the paint back wont rust inevitable develop between the connection?
                          Cover the connection in enamel paint, plastic paint, correct type grease or quality battery terminal spray...simples.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Turorit View Post
                            Fire hazard(s) waiting to happen?
                            The fire hazard comes if there is a ground connection at each end i.e. Connection to battery terminal at one end and to chassis at the other end.

If this happens, and the primary connection from battery to chassis goes high resistance/open circuit, your fridge ground wire can become the return path for your starter motor and/or your alternator.

Under these conditions, fire wouldn't be an automatic consequence, but it couldn't be ruled out either.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • Sydney

I’ve run the winch return to the bigass chassis ground just below the battery. Seems to be the primary chassis ground. With the newer smart alternators I wanted the earth to pass the current sensor just before the -ve post. I’ve wired the earth from the second battery in the rear tub to one of the M14(might be M12) bolts holding the steel rear seat carrier to maximise contact area, ie there is a path into the chassis via another two bolts.
                              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X