• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveH
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • sydney

I'm a believer in using lower gears and letting the engine rev a bit higher, so it is not working as hard.

what if you dropped to 3rd gear and kept the revs around 3000? The speed may be lower but so would be all the temps inc EGT.
    2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Hi Travis,
      Who did you talk to that mentioned "5-10mins"? I've been thinking it's more of an issue about sustained high temps rather than 1-2mins.

My recent trip up the coast to Port Macquarie at Xmas saw regular EGTs of 600deg on the big hills. One hill I kept feeding it and was close to 700 by the top. When cruising on flat ground I was 400deg to start with.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Travis73
        Respected Member who is going grey .......at the sides.
        • May 2014
        • Eaton, WA

I dont want to mention names, but it was somebody at MRT in Sydney. I rang them because on their website in regard to Pajero power upgrades that a FMIC should not be fitted. I wanted to find out why...he reckoned they did that because a lot of people think that when you install a front mount, you instantly get lots more power & torque. Which you don't. I knew that already...The 5-10 min duration was the kind of time that some damage might start with EGT's in the 600 plus range. I see temps in the 600-650 range on occasion too. Once or twice higher than that. Duration would have been less than a minute when these temps were reached, so at the end of the day, I reckon that's OK so far and in the future I will be using some caution until a FMIC goes in.
        2010 NT Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bullbar, Lovell 2"/Bilstiens/Polyairs , 265/70/17 Pirelli ATR's, Airtek Snorkel, Beaudesert Turbo back 2 3/4", ECU tweak by Maximum Motorsport (Kewdale). Paddle shift and Lock up Mate. ARB Long Range Tank.
        2005 22" Paramount Delta...

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Gen 4 Pajero's all have FMIC's from factory but some people have replaced these with larger FMIC that have required a new location for fitment but it is still at the front. "Geopaj" and I have started looking at whether the factory IC can be relocated from behind the sway bar to in front and lifted, tilted and shrouded to get it into the airflow. We know from the tests we have conducted the factory IC works much better when there are no bash plates fitted so it is all about airflow and that is with it located behind the swaybar!

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Travis73
            Respected Member who is going grey .......at the sides.
            • May 2014
            • Eaton, WA

Sorry Old Jack, but I would not refer to the factory position as front mount. More like below and out of the way mount...
            2010 NT Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bullbar, Lovell 2"/Bilstiens/Polyairs , 265/70/17 Pirelli ATR's, Airtek Snorkel, Beaudesert Turbo back 2 3/4", ECU tweak by Maximum Motorsport (Kewdale). Paddle shift and Lock up Mate. ARB Long Range Tank.
            2005 22" Paramount Delta...

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Travis73 View Post
              Sorry Old Jack, but I would not refer to the factory position as front mount. More like below and out of the way mount...
              Technically a FMIC but you are correct it’s factory position is woeful!

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
                • May 2017
                • Newcastle

What I seem to be noticing is a reduction in intake temp of say 20deg seems to make very little impact on EGT. I've been running around this week with no intercooler bash plate and seeing some much improved intake temps but this is making little change to EGT. One particular hill my intake temps usually hit 70deg but with the bash plate removed 50deg. EGT still hits 400deg regardless of my reduction in intake temp. I wasn't really expecting to see a miracle reduction in EGT but I'm thinking a bigger intercooler is not going to keep my car off 600deg up the big hills. More likely a better tune will yield the desired results. However I'm a firm believer intercoolers do provide cooler more oxygenated air to the engine though.

Benny
                2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• benckj
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Alexandra , New Zealand

Just happened to read this thread as I've recently help install a water injection system on my son's Hilux which we installed a SC14 supercharger. Works great by bringing down EGT temps, increased torque and clean burn.

Surprised no one has mentioned it as its the best of both worlds. Been running a WI system on my petrol turbo for years. Would drive without it!

jim

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

I've mentioned water injection but I think in another thread. Doesn't seem like many around here have done it to Pajeros. I installed a Snow Performance water/meth injection system on my blown GT Falcon. I'd be interested to hear from people that have installed such a system on a diesel Pajero or the like.

Benny.

Comment

• benckj
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2017

Snow makes some decent kit. On a diesel you really only need something very basic generally a stage 1 without progressive mode or failsafe system. Simple to use the pressure switch to start squirting at say 10psi and control flow with the nozzle size. Don't even need a solenoid on line as can use a NRV. if you want to save a few $$ then piece together a system yourself. Can get 200psi pumps for under $100USD.

WI will make a huge difference to EGT's and give more torque. My son's Hilux can now make it up hills in 4th where he had to chop down to 3rd and rev the guts out of his little 2.4l diesel. The low down performance is outstanding which is one of the main reasons for going with a SC as he is on 35" tyres.

jim

Comment

• NTBenny
                        • May 2017
                        • Newcastle

Yeah wouldn't be too hard to get something going. I just used the washer bottle tank on my GT. My EGT gauge has an optional relay output that I could use to trigger the water injection at high EGT or trigger the injection at a preset boost pressure. It's tempting.

Benny.

Comment

• benckj
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2017

What’s stopping you?

Comment

• NTBenny
                            • May 2017
                            • Newcastle

Too many other things I want to buy as well. haha. I want to service my gearbox and clean the intake out as well. Too many things to do and not enough time to do them.

Benny

Comment

• DanMelSA
                              • Jan 2009

Did not read all the responses, but based on my car having this switch on the dash, I tracked downed the previous owner, he said the temps just out of the exhaust were 600 to 700 when towing through hills. (chipped). He was retired aircraft electrical technician, so he ended up putting a switch on the dash that turned the chip off when he was towing through hills, as he said those temps were so extreme it would be close to melting the piston (his words).
                              in the end based on this and what he was wanted to tow (2.7 ton van from memory), he felt that his 2010 N Paj would not last the distance and moved on to a bigger land cruiser...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X