• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotare
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
    Alot of other 4wd's have the intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, where it should be. I know there are alot of other variables but i cant see it being too much of a problem on the Paj. If it is im happy to upgrade the rad aswell, anything to get that intercooler away from the ground and up higher into some decent airflow
    I agree, but it's likely other vehicle manufacturers designed their vehicles cooling system with consideration to a factory fitted front mounted intercooler. Edit:Straight from the cross country 4x4 website and almost word for word what I just stated:

Another drawback with FMIC systems is they can have a tendency to put extra load on your vehicles cooling system; eg. radiators and air-conditioning condensers. Unless your vehicle is already fitted with a factory front mount where the manufacturer would have taken this into account, you should purchase a quality FMIC system that has been designed by people familiar with your vehicle, who can demonstrate that no overheating issues will occur.

2013 NW VRX

Comment

• spiderpig
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by rotare View Post
      I agree, but it's likely other vehicle manufacturers designed their vehicles cooling system with consideration to a factory fitted front mounted intercooler. Edit:Straight from the cross country 4x4 website and almost word for word what I just stated:

Another drawback with FMIC systems is they can have a tendency to put extra load on your vehicles cooling system; eg. radiators and air-conditioning condensers. Unless your vehicle is already fitted with a factory front mount where the manufacturer would have taken this into account, you should purchase a quality FMIC system that has been designed by people familiar with your vehicle, who can demonstrate that no overheating issues will occur.

Yep i agree with that, but has anyone found/proven the paj cooling system to be inadequate at the moment as designed? Yes during certain situations the coolant temp can certainly get up there, like and 4WD would in the same situation, but i cant recall to many issues or complaints with people having overheating problems?
      Certainly something to keep an eye on though if a FMIC is installed up higher.

Comment

• Easykill1978
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Melbourne Vic

actually you can mount it there in the front.. and place rubber/sponge around the cooler to meet up with (on mine it would be the heat exchanger for the ac) dont know if thats the same on yours.

and a high speed electric fan behind the cooler should do the job.

also you can get a thicker radiator, or a radiator fan thats designed to pull more air..

the options are limitless for your ride.

my TMIC works very well, also the side effect of cool air blowing over the top of the head, so the oil flowing around there etc will be cooler than otherwise when it flows back down to be pumped again
        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• rotare
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
          i cant recall to many issues or complaints with people having overheating problems
          This forum is full of threads and examples of gen 3 & 4 owners having issues or concerns with engine temps and over heating, particularly as these vehicles age.

Punch in 'over heating' using the search function and there are two pages worth of threads started on the topic.
          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• spiderpig
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by rotare View Post

Punch in 'over heating' using the search function and there are two pages worth of threads started on the topic.
            I just did and i didn't see one with a specific title about a later gen (NT Forum) pajero overheating.
            Can you link some specific relevant threads for my bed time reading?

Comment

• Easykill1978
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Melbourne Vic

lets cool it down.

the biggest issue with heating problems.. is people dont fully understand the upper and lower limits of our motors..

going from a steady 85 deg C too 110 Deg is fine, it will hit limp mode in the 110s range.. too many factors influence this (eg engine load, outside temps, coolant, thermostat etc) soo people tend to panic when they suddenly see higher temps than the idiot dash gauge is reading.

if your that worried, get a thicker rad core..

do regular maintenance and ensure the clutch fan is working as it should.
              My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Morcs
                • Jun 2015
                • under a rock

I would be more inclined to go with water/methononol injection and have it activate only when needed/wanted. This will drop the air charge further if only worried about performance and economy and in some cases drop below ambient temperature.

Have not done this yet but contemplating on my other ride that is not really relevant for this forum. Being v8 petrol with a carby and turbocharged with out intercooler as carby acts as a natural intercooler to some extent.
                Last edited by Morcs; 19-11-15, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• apsilon
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Hills District NSW

FWIW, I'm yet to see over 98degC water temp according to my scangage. That's on a 42degC ambient air day and full boost after a hill climb. I have no doubt I could break 100degC water temp with a sustained high boost climb but to some degree you need to drive to conditions and IMO with normal driving just cruising it's not an issue. A thicker rad core would be nice but I haven't seen the need for it yet.
                  MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                  Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• P4J3R0
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Brisbane

The foam that seals the radiator to the car subframe is falling apart on my NS. As this happens I'm noticing that it is slowly getting hotter as the system is not working as efficient as it should.

New foam tape is on the list of things to do at the next service.
                    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Adelaide

I finally bought the Torque app this week and with only a couple of days of driving, the coolant seems to be steady at 88 degrees. Today it went to 90 driving up a hill.
                      I'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully we'll get a couple of hot days soon to see what impact that has.
                      Then after the intercooler goes on, I will have a good baseline to see what impact the FMIC has on the coolant temps.

John

Comment

• spiderpig
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
                        I finally bought the Torque app this week and with only a couple of days of driving, the coolant seems to be steady at 88 degrees. Today it went to 90 driving up a hill.
                        I'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully we'll get a couple of hot days soon to see what impact that has.
                        Then after the intercooler goes on, I will have a good baseline to see what impact the FMIC has on the coolant temps.

John
                        Sounds good, looking forward to hearing the progress. Got mine tuned by MRT last week so reckon the intercooler upgrade will be a nice addition.

Comment

• rotare
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2007

John
                          Awesome. Hopefully it has very little impact on coolant temps. Be keen to see what the outcome is as I'm really wanting to upgrade to a better intercooler on mine.
                          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Adelaide

Hi guys,
                            Just a quick update.
                            The intercooler has been fitted, but I can't pick up the car til next Saturday as the workshop is closed this week.
                            Dave said the fit out went well the new kit is great, but I will have an opinion next week

John

Comment

• samrenny
                              • Oct 2013
                              • Qld

Hi guys,
                              Just a quick update.
                              The intercooler has been fitted, but I can't pick up the car til next Saturday as the workshop is closed this week.
                              Dave said the fit out went well the new kit is great, but I will have an opinion next week

John
                              Nice mate, keen to hear the results! Was it a custom job?
                              2010 NT Pajero VRX Pearl White

- 2" Dobinsons Lift - Xrox Bar - Electronic brakes - Rhino Pioneer Rack - Roo Systems awning - TJM Airtech Snorkel - K&N Air Filter - 82ah Dual Battery system - Waeco CFX-65DZ - Custom rear drawer - 3" Xforce Turbo back Exhaust System - Bushskinz Bashplate - Redarc EGT and Boost Gauge - 285/65/r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers -18x8 CSA Raptors - 1000mm Korr XD500 LED Bar -

Comment

• spiderpig
                                • Jan 2008

Hi guys,
                                Just a quick update.

John
                                Sounds good

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X