• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gen1
    • Nov 2012
    • Melbourne

Control Arm Bushes

So moving along from a previous post about the front end of my NX has anyone ever had to replace the lower control arm bushes? At 30k on the clock mine are completely stuffed. Mitsubishi consider it a wear item but as a gesture of goodwill on behalf of the dealer they will sell me the complete control arms for $900. I do notice that several suppliers will supply the bushes alone. How big a deal is it to replace these bushes? Something that can be achieved with a press or is it an altogether more complicated job?
    2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension
  • linc
    • Jan 2008
    • Perth

I just got both lower control arm bushes replaced on my NW for $154 at a MM Servicing Centre. They were dry, cracked, and full of red dirt ... and was the source of a really REALLY annoying creaking sound under braking, and light acceleration from stationary. Took them about an hour, by all reports.
    Worth the $$ spent IMO, and certainly didn't appear to be any reason to replace the whole assembly.
    Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
    Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
    Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• gen1
      • Nov 2012
      • Melbourne

Well thats more re-assuring. Mitsubishi dealer reckoned it was easier and more cost effective to replace the complete assembly while acknowledging that this was usually done on cars with upwards of 200k on the clock...
      2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• linc
        • Jan 2008
        • Perth

Originally posted by gen1 View Post
        Well thats more re-assuring. Mitsubishi dealer reckoned it was easier and more cost effective to replace the complete assembly while acknowledging that this was usually done on cars with upwards of 200k on the clock...
        I'll dig out the receipt/workshop report tonight mate -- only had it done a few weeks ago.
        Originally MM Servicing blamed my aftermarket suspension as the source of the noise (this was last July, more notably the noise began days after they serviced the car....), so I took it to the suspension fitters. They pointed immediately to the worn sway bushes ($100 to replace) which they did, and seems to make a difference for a day or two. I persisted with the issue and eventually took the car back to MM a few weeks ago. They said once up on the hoist, they could replicate the creaking noise by moving the front wheels fore and aft, and that all led to the lower control arm bush diagnosis. 3 weeks on, still as perfectly quiet as ever and, as i said, a lot cheaper than $900!
        Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
        Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
        Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Punch your VIN into PartSouq.
          Quick random search had LCA assemblies for $205 AUD each, for that price it is cheaper than fitting Ploytuff bushes!

OJ.
          Last edited by old Jack; 22-01-18, 06:22 PM.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• gen1
            • Nov 2012
            • Melbourne

Thank you all, glad I'm finally getting to the bottom of this!

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Punch your VIN into PartSouq.
              Quick random search had LCA assemblies for $205 AUD each, for that price it is cheaper than fitting Ploytuff bushes!

OJ.
              Plus about $100 pr side for delivery - $619.45 for both sides inc delivery!
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                Plus about $100 pr side for delivery - $619.45 for both sides inc delivery!
                Ouch, freight takes the shine off!
                Replacing bushes is a cheaper option if you can do it yourself and even if it cost you $200 to get the bushes replaced you are still a few hundred ahead!

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• gen1
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Melbourne

My understanding is that they replace them with poly bushes and this may not be ideal? I know they never lasted on my old LandRover but that thing had a hell of a lot of wheel articulation that the Pajero doesn't

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by gen1 View Post
                    My understanding is that they replace them with poly bushes and this may not be ideal? I know they never lasted on my old LandRover but that thing had a hell of a lot of wheel articulation that the Pajero doesn't
                    Urethane bushes in the 80's and 90's had a bad reputation as they were way too hard and whenfitted without lubrication were prone to seizing and splitting. Things have changed and there is no reason a Urethane bush of the right hardness, chemical
                    Cal make up and fitted correctly, can not give the same or greater life than a OE rubber bush. I do not know how hard the Polytuff bushes are so it might be worth a phone call to discuss.

OJ.

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

Ive not done it on the Pajero yet but on my last car, a Commodore, I found a cheap ass Ozito Multitool sliced the rear of the bush off with ease and the I was able to just drive it out with a drift and a 2lb hammer. It still needed a good flogging but no press.

the polly ones were in 2 pieces so no press required there either.

steve
                      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Bushboy
                        • Dec 2011
                        • Broken Hill, Australia

NP Bushes

Jeez my 05 NP PAJ has done 376K, no bush changes yet, but rear starting to creak 👍

Comment

• gen1
                          • Nov 2012
                          • Melbourne

Old post, but as it turned out the worn bushes was a bad misdiagnosis of a problem that lay elsewhere. On inspection they were as good as new!

Comment

• batteoui
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Casablanca Morocco

and what was the issue then ?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X