• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrells
    • Feb 2017
    • Toowoomba

low beam not working after high beam

Been trying to figure out the mystery of my headlights. My low beam work, but if i go from high beam to low beam they don't turn on. Would this be a sticky relay? or a problem in the column?
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

there is a recall for the high beam stalk/Actually i think they clean the connector and dunk it in di electric grease.Was done on my NZ Pajero last service(180k)The mitsi man called it a recall,mabe its just a service bulletin.
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• 98NL GL
      • Oct 2011
      • Cairns

worth a try if all else fail.

Originally posted by chrells View Post
      Been trying to figure out the mystery of my headlights. My low beam work, but if i go from high beam to low beam they don't turn on. Would this be a sticky relay? or a problem in the column?

I think your head light bulbs are on their way out. Id buy new set of bulbs and replace the old ones.

Let us know how you go.
      Last edited by 98NL GL; 08-03-17, 07:34 PM.
      XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
      1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
      1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
      2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

oops disregard my post didnt read the gen 2 part!
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• chrells
          • Feb 2017
          • Toowoomba

Originally posted by 98NL GL View Post
          I think your head light bulbs are on their out. Id buy new bulbs and replace the old ones.

Let us know how you go.
          Replaced the bulbs first. Im hoping it's just a shitty relay, this column stuff looks annoying

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

It's not the bulbs. They either work or they don't. New ones work better, though.

Separate relays for high and low on the Gen2? I think so - been a long time since I had one. If the lights work on low beam and then on high then it's not the relays. Confirm by swapping the relays high to low.

Try this: turn on low beams and then pull the stalk just enough to flash the highs, but not enough to turn them on so they stay on. If they flash ok and lows stay on then the problem is in the stalk. It's switching from low to high ok but not from high to low. Possible worn/sticky contact point but, more likely, broken or worn plastic part inside the switch.

Just buy a replacement. Should be on Ebay for $80 or thereabouts. Only buy from Australia or Japan though - anywhere else is likely to have the indicator/lights switch on the left, not right.
            Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X