• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

NX vs NP - my one week review

Ok, one week in with my new NX and here are my first impressions compared to the NP I dumped...I mean....replaced.

I drove the NP today after a solid week in the NX and to my surprise it was like slipping on an old pair of gloves. Everything just felt right.

Anyway..here're my thoughts and opinions.

Noise

No comparison here - NX win hands down.

Comfort

No a fair comparison yet as I'm yet to put LT and a lift onto it. But boy, those road tyres and stock suspension is a nice ride. Smooth and quiet. NP feels like a truck.

Steering

NX feels a bit more direct than the NP. Nice.

Power

CRD plus Aysin transmission is much, much smoother. NX is a way, way better. Will cost me more in Donaldson filters though But the power difference isn't as much as I expected. Not much in it really.

Brakes

OMG. NX is unquestionably superior. 1000% improvement over the NP

Entertainment Unit (Rockford)

My NP has a nice aftermarket head unit and amp, speakers etc. But, I don't know why the trend is towards touch screen control and buttons. They're so much harder to use in a car. You loose the sensor of 'feel' to help out and instead need to take you eyes off the road and look. Yes, voice control...but still.

Overall the rockford stereo sound is very, very good.

Smartphone Connectivity

Don't get your hopes up here. As for smartphone connectivity with my iPhone 6s - waste of space currently. Needing to plug the phone into the connector in the glovebox for every trip is annoying and pointless. My garmin GPS is now back on the windscreen, as I find Apple maps is useless as a nav. aid. in Australia. I just use bluetooth connectivity and Siri - same as on the NP unit.

I tell ya what, I'm really sick of the "Agree" every time I start the car. Still miles ahead of the factory NP unit, but not leaps and bounds ahead of the $700 aftermarket Pioneer I had in the NP.

Radio Antenna

NP is a two height adjustable electric. NX is built into the 3rd window. I've heard about performance problems in the NX, but if it works it's a step forward. The electric antenna gets knocked on the tracks and you can't put it down without turning off the stereo - like in a carwash or narrow track.

Trip meter

NX wins - nice to see the economy readings. Not sure how accurate it is, and could have been designed a LOT better.

What's the point of the graph? You can't read historic values off it anyway. And it's upside down! Just give me instant l/100, 5 min avg, and 30 min avg, tank avg, and trip avg. numbers would be fine...I can count, no need for useless pictures.

And Range to Empty, gee thanks - as soon as the fuel light comes on it goes blank. Just when you'd think you'd really need to use it!

EGR mod

$143 SPVi mod vs $20 blanking plate. NP wins...unless you put a 5c resistor in yourself

Fuel Tank size

hmmm, NX is 88 litre and NP is 90. Not sure where that 2 L went...but NP wins

Looks

NX is sweet. Never like the front end of the NP until I put the BBar on.

Now the BBar will be a step backwards in styling.

Side Mirrors

NP mirror is flat, so when I look in it I can judge distance properly. NX is convex, and I go cross-eyed looking at it. On the NP I put a little 50c sized stick-on convex to see the blind spot. I prefer the NP, as your eyes can judge distance better. The electric folding feature of the NX is nice though, and they're heated.

Climate Control Air-conditioning

IMO, a big step backwards. NP has two dials, the temperature, and the mode. Now the mode has been replaced with a button that chooses one or the other. I liked the dial for the mode on the NP, as it actually controlled the airflow in increments between, say, face and face+feet.

The NP also has an auto fan. I liked this. When the engine wasn't warm, ir didn't bother pushing air at you until it warmed up.

EDIT: I was wrong. The NX has an auto fan too.
    EDIT: after 3 months ownership now I can positively say the NP climate control performs far far better. The NX is terrible in comparison.

Instrument Cluster

Hmmm I can think of a word that goes well with "Cluster". A step backwards. The NP was large and clear. Only PITA was the speedo was out (over) by 9%. NX is about 3%.

The warnings in NX are grouped nicely in the middle, but the speed and taco needle has a stupid black bar around it which just sucks on such a small dial.

Front seats

A step backwards. NP, even at 220k is more comfortable. Softer leather too. NX has lumbar support, but that about the only positive. Passenger seat is not height adjustable in the NX - was in the NP and was the first thing the misses complained about. The seat belt buckle presses into my butt and is uncomfortable - Ok - so I could loose a few pounds.

OBDII

NX wins - yay. At last I have it!

Headrests, 2nd and 3rd row

Step backwards. The NP's are...hollow so you can see through them. NX are solid. With the 7the row in you can't see anything! But I like the 2nd row middle headrest that is a lot smaller and does block any vision...the middle spare wheel does that for you!

Auto thingys

Headlights, wipers, rearview dim, high beam

Sweet - NX way ahead. I like 'em

Headlights

HIDs on the NX are brilliant...if you excuse the pun. love them.

Auto high beam is...ok....gets it wrong quite a lot thinking the red reflectors are the taillights of a car, but it does immediately dip when oncoming car comes along. Overall I like it.

Spare wheel

Big step backwards....let's not go there. But at least the rearview camera gets good visibility and the tail light aren't on the bumper....now, where to put the rubbish bag?

Rear Door

NX much better. Changed the mechanism and much smoother/easier
    EDIT: however, the mechanism is weak as piss. If you try to close the door with the arm locked, it is very easy to bend it. Once bent, $200 repair. Stuffed mine once already.
    They put a stupid little caution sticker so when you do make a mistake, the warranty doesn't cover it. You don't need to push very hard to ruin it. Not fit for purpose IMO.
    NP mechanism is solid and forgiving. NP wins.

Cruise Control

50:50. NP has a stick, whereas NX has buttons on the wheel. Buttons feel cheap in comparison. NX doesn't perform as well (take too long to adjust after a hill for example), but I like that you don't need to turn it on for every drive. Of course this is compensated by the bloody AGREE on the stereo head unit.

Sunroof

Sweet as. 2nd row passengers love it

7th seat.

50:50. NX is better as the headrests are now stored in the same area. But - headrests are now solid and restrict visibility A LOT.

Rear Tiedown points

damn things are cheap plastic. I moved the metal once across from my NP.

Drivers Pedals

Well, NX doesn't have a proper footrest, but has nice shiny metal looking ones. NP wins

Glove Box

What! The NX only has one. The NP has two. NP wins

Transmission lever

You MUST have your foot on the brake to go off Park in the NX. NP lets me do it anytime. Other than that...same. NP wins.

Dash construction

NP wins. NX is likely (read expected) to 'shake' on really severe corrugations. NP was proven and solid.

Roof Racks

NX wins here. 100kg rating compared to 60kg on the NP

Privacy glass

50:50 What's the point, unless you live in Tassie! You still need to pay to get it clear tinted to filter out the UV rays in mainland Australia anyway, so why bother in the first place.

Sun visors

Step backwards. NP has a 'sleeves that you can slip thing into. NX doesn't

Wheels

18s look really nice, but WTF....the Montero has 17"s that look exactly the same. What numbskull thought 18"s were a good idea on a 4x4 in Oz. So far they cost a couple of hundred buck per wheel more and don't last as long. Theoretically they don't work as well too. Coopers warranty for 17"s is 70k, and just 50k for 18s.

NP wins hands down!

Trim quality

NP wins here too. NX just feels more plastic.

Paint

I really hope the NX doesn't have the problems with rust the NS/NTs had.

Rear Diff Lock

ooohhh yeaahhhh. NX wins

Airbags

NX wins - has side curtain ones that the NP doesn't have.

2nd row seat

OMG, the damn things actually roll forward without man-handling them. NX wins

Snorkle installation

Gees, 5 hours labour to install the safari on the NX...what're they doing? taking the engine out!

Diesel Fuel Pump

NX wins...lets no got there either

Conclusion

So, that's a score of 19 for NX and 15 for NP. A lot closer than I expected.

I think you can see from the above that the accountants have wielded their might pens to keep the NX price competitive and on a diet to allow the extra gadgets.

Absolutely no regrets getting the NX - After 13 years of evolution, some strengths and weaknesses, but, I must say, the NP is still a great car; and driving it again today after a week in the NX proved it.

What wins the NX over though is the engine/transmission, brakes, rear diff lock, good looks, gadgets, ODBII, savings of fixed price servicing, 5 yr warranty, and youth (aka reliability).

What's really a step backwards are the 18" wheels and poorer rear visibility.

But, if you're thinking about an older second hand NP Exceed - bloody good car for the money!

Did I mention I'll have one for sale soon
    Last edited by m_and_m; 28-08-16, 11:40 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • bennyb29
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
    Ok, one week in with my new NX and here are my first impressions compared to the NP I dumped...I mean....replaced.
    Nice review there!

I have the NT and can pretty well agree with the points you have mentioned regarding the NX, considering how much the NT and NX share in terms of basic mechanicals and features.

Entertainment Unit (Rockford)
    My NP has a nice aftermarket head unit and amp, speakers etc. But, I don't know why the trend is towards touch screen control and buttons. They're so much harder to use in a car. You loose the sensor of 'feel' to help out and instead need to take you eyes off the road and look. Yes, voice control...but still.
    Overall the rockford stereo sound is very, very good.
    Agree wholeheartedly. The sound quality from the Rockford system is really good!

Smartphone Connectivity
    Don't get your hopes up here. As for smartphone connectivity with my iPhone 6s - waste of space currently. Needing to plug the phone into the connector in the glovebox for every trip is annoying and pointless. My garmin GPS is now back on the windscreen, as I find Apple maps is useless as a nav. aid. in Australia. I just use bluetooth connectivity and Siri - same as on the NP unit.
    I tell ya what, I'm really sick of the "Agree" every time I start the car. Still miles ahead of the factory NP unit, but not leaps and bounds ahead of the $700 aftermarket Pioneer I had in the NP.
    Wonder why you continue to use Apple Maps on your iPhone. Do try out Google Maps, which also give you real time traffic information when navigating, and is quite good. Best part is, the voice navigation is streamed via BT!

The other map you can try is HERE Maps, which is free, and works in offline mode too. This is a very good alternative to using live data in navigation. And yes, it is available for iOS on the App Store.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
      Wonder why you continue to use Apple Maps on your iPhone. Do try out Google Maps, which also give you real time traffic information when navigating, and is quite good. Best part is, the voice navigation is streamed via BT!
      The problem is Apple CarPlay. It only supports a limited set of apps. To use Google maps you need an android phone.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• glsgls
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2007

hey marshal, nice write up whats it like on fuel any better than the np I am still thinking about updating the np really don't like those 18' wheels

Comment

• letsgoplaces
          • Jul 2014
          • Adelaide

Hey Marshall,

Great review, and a lot closer than I would have expected as well.

To wait til you get on the tracks and see what you think then will be interesting

Cheers
          John

Comment

• bennyb29
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Brisbane

The problem is Apple CarPlay. It only supports a limited set of apps. To use Google maps you need an android phone.
            I missed the limitation owing to Apple Car Play. Sorry.
            Meanwhile, here's how you can continue to use the Google Maps app purely for voice navigation with CarPlay.

Have Apple CarPlay compatible in-dash system in your car? Want to use Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation while in CarPlay mode? Here’s a workaround of sorts to use Google Maps navigation with Apple CarPlay.

Comment

• grhyso
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Perth

Nice to read, though two things. I have used a blanking plate on my NT with no issues, why not stick with it and save youself $120? And the self fold side mirrors is a godsend on the tracks, fold them as you come to a narrow section, put them back out so you can see behind after the track widens again, don't have to stop or open windows etc. Just my observation. Itherwise I'm sure the NX will serve you well for years to come.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• jasper361
                • Sep 2010
                • Eatons Hill

Great review, I would only disagree on the auto high beam which I find totally useless, so much so I replaced the switch with a switch for my spotlights.
                2019 Y62 Ti Patrol
                MY15 NX Exceed - Ironbark. - SOLD
                Bash plates, Bilstein/kings, GME XRS330c

Comment

• TC.Barky
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Melbourne

Electric folding mirrors are such a great feature. Did you know you can triple tap your lock/unlock buttons on your remote to fold/unfold? I do it every time I park it now, bloody Melbourne carparks.

Also RE rubbish bag, there's been a few threads on this and a working product exists.

Just make sure to put some clear protective film down over the wheel carrier housing if you're worried about subtle scuff marks.
                  MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                  Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• bennyb29
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                    Electric folding mirrors are such a great feature. Did you know you can triple tap your lock/unlock buttons on your remote to fold/unfold? I do it every time I park it now, bloody Melbourne carparks.
                    Two presses of the lock button are enough to lock and fold in the mirrors. I am not sure if there is a way to unfold the mirrors using the key when unlocking, so i manually press the unfold button once inside.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
                      Two presses of the lock button are enough to lock and fold in the mirrors. I am not sure if there is a way to unfold the mirrors using the key when unlocking, so i manually press the unfold button once inside.
                      Three including the actual locking of the car. Two is enough if already locked. Three presses of unlock (again, assuming locked) will unfold them
                      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Great review. However:

RE: Donaldson filters. Get the kit from Hitachi Heavy Equipment on the corner of Pt Wakefield Rd and Churchill Rd North. $125 for the kit with 2 filters. Filters from them are also resonably priced. Cheaper than only if you have to pay for delivery.

RE: Folding mirrors. Use it all the time to have more space around the car. Tripple press lock/unlock of the remote to fold/unfold. If folded using remote then it will auto unfold when car reaches 30kph. It will not auto unfold if folded using the mirror fold button on the dash. This is so that it does not unfold when you are negotiating a tight track.

RE: CC A/C. It is fantastic as it even has humidity sensor and switches to demist with A/C on. Just this morning in Adelaide rain, an old couple almost ran into me and could not see lanes as their entire car is fogged up. Leave it all on auto and let it do its thing.

RE: Instrument cluster. Speedo accuracy is an ADR thing. Not MM's fault. The needles are always lit so visibility shouldn't be a problem unless you have turned down the dimmer (it has independant day/night dimming levels).

RE: Front Seats: No issues for me even after a 2800km round trip in 6 days. No height adjustment for front passenger was a bit of a sour point.

RE: Cruise Control: The Agree thing is again a safety regulation for Australia. Also, taking too long to adjust is not a CC thing but your engine performance. Perhaps manually shift down a gear.

RE: Drivers Pedals: I have no issues with the left foot rest? Define proper foot rest?

RE: Transmission Lever. It is a shift and key lock. Most if not all new cars from early 2000 have them, especially on AWD and 4WD vehicles. It is a safey feature. They started off as key lock only. My 2005 Mitsubishi Verada GTVi AWD and wife's 2007 ZG Outlander has the shift lock.

RE: Privacy glass: As its name states is for privacy and not UV filtering. I have clear tint on mine done for free by the dealer, together with 20%VLT tint on the front two door glasses.

RE: Wheels: Explain how 18" wheels or tyres don't last as long as 17" wheels or tyres? The level of tread is the same if same tyres are chosen. The wheels themselves are fairly well protected by the tyres. 265mm width tyre over 190.5mm width wheel.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• KymJ
                          • Aug 2015

Transmission lever
                          You MUST have your foot on the brake to go off Park in the NX. NP lets me do it anytime. Other than that...same. NP wins

This got me a good one. Being new to autos I would put my foot on the brake and sometimes not hard enough. Natt rescued me a couple of times as she obviously pushes the brake harder when starting. I thought it was a bit of a bug but have since worked it out. Don't tell her that though.

Comment

• Vicbitter
                            • May 2016
                            • Melbourne

Huh, I remember when I first picked up the nx, and I thought I had a fault with the auto not shifting into drive properly, until my missus told me that you have to have your foot on the brake firmly to move the selector.
                            And she doesn't drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jaster
                              • Apr 2008
                              • Wollongong, NSW

Centre Dif Lock
                              ooohhh yeaahhhh. NX wins
                              This is the only one I didn't get. Having owned a NM and a NT (so not sure, but I'm not aware of any huge differences between these and the NP / NX), but the centre diff lock seemed the same to me (once I worked out the Auto needed to be in Neutral to change into Low - the NM was a Manual, so you only had to stop. No requirement to pop out of gear into Neutral). Otherwise, same 2H, 4H, 4HLC, 4LLC ...

Cheers,
                              J.
                              Current: Cool Silver '11 NT RX Auto
                              Retired: Green '02 NM Exceed Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X