Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Anyone else broken a plastic air box locator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Anyone else broken a plastic air box locator?

G'day guys
    This seem to be a common problem for me anyway.
    The 2 plastic locators on the engine side on the air filter box on gen 3 & 4's.
    I managed to brake both on my NP. I purchased the NS with one broken but a backyard
    mod to fix it.
    Today I broke the other one.

Is it just me or is this a design flaw? Also if you guys have broken them what did
    you do to fix.
    My NP had an occy strap around the whole air box to keep it very tightly closed.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

I had the same problem a while ago. Lots of good suggestions here ...

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• MSF
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2009
      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

This is how I did mine..

works perfect, super quick and easy to clip/unclip and "almost" looks factory...

just ebay "Tonneau Bungee" - from around $2.00 each....

Comment

• kibz
        • Jul 2007
        • Melb, Victoria

My mechanic has just told me that my inside clips were missing, I didn't know this was a (possible) common fault.

I was about to replace the clips but now want to know how I can you tell if they are just missing or that the clips have been broken off?
        Cheers,
        Paul

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

Originally posted by kibz View Post
          My mechanic has just told me that my inside clips were missing, I didn't know this was a (possible) common fault.

I was about to replace the clips but now want to know how I can you tell if they are just missing or that the clips have been broken off?
          The metal clips are not what we are talking about being broken here - the things that break are probably better described as plastic locating lugs. The clips are on the opposite side of the air box - they are spring loaded and you can easily have them spring off and get lost if you don't do it properly. If they are missing you will need new ones unless you devise another way of holding the top and bottom parts of the air box together.

I suppose this is what your mechanic means by "inside clips" - he may be referring to the inside part of the plastic lug, which in this case IS what the others are talking about. Get him to show you and have a look at the photos here. Also, have a look at the photo I posted on the link I mention in my post above.

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• DiDExceed
            • Jul 2011
            • Kuluin, QLD, Australia

LPG kills pajero air boxes like nothing I've ever seen, to be honest I think only mine and one other I have seen have them in tact, both diesels even though doesn't ,Akers a difference

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by MSF View Post
              This is how I did mine..

works perfect, super quick and easy to clip/unclip and "almost" looks factory...

Nice. I'll be stealing that idea. Another job for the weekend.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• kibz
                • Jul 2007
                • Melb, Victoria

Nice. I'll be stealing that idea. Another job for the weekend.
                Me too..... ......Had a closer look at the air box..
                Cheers,
                Paul

Comment

• Lazarus78
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Brisbane, Qld

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                  This is how I did mine..

Pure genius Thankyou! I'll be doing that myself i think

Cheers,

Aidan.

Comment

• Fritterbug
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2013
                    • Brisbane

Just broke one of mine. I've always thought the airbox lid was quite difficult to remove because of these locators. Which is the reason they break I guess.
                    I thought it funny that this thread came up in a Google search for 'airbox clips'!
                    My plan is to get some traditional airbox metal clips. I'll have to go to a wrecker to find some that are suitable. For anyone watching they need to span a 36mm gap. There is suitable ridges top and bottom of the gap on the box and lid to retain these clips.

Although these locators you would think are holding the engine side of the box closed, if I wiggle the lid up and down, the lid doesn't move any more on the side with the broken locator as the good locator. Having said that both sides have more opening movement than I think they should when doing so. These locator things appear to do nothing to keep the lid closed. I've zip tied the lid closed as an interim measure just in case I'm wrong.

If you have ever seen a Volvo airbox clip then that is what I'm thinking. It is a latch style. But I'll use whatever I can that fits.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
                    MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• Kingmarz
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2016
                      • South Island New Zealand

Mine were broken when purchased which was a concern.
                      I drilled two small holes through what was left and just put cable ties through them which seems to work but no where near as good as that photo above that’s brilliant.
                      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

I broke one of mine and then the other was broken by the service guy (not a Mitsi sevice centre).

I now use a length of double sided velcro strap around the base and fixed at the top but I like the pics above and will change it to them.
                        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• ChrisPaj2010
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Brisbane

AIR BOX BROKEN CLIP FIX
                          I just did a fix on my NW. Broken retaining clip on engine side, (photo of fix below). I have the TJM snorkel which means there is very little room around the air box, so i decided to replace the broken clip with an aluminium replacement, made at home. Glued and screwed into position, it works well.
                          I hope this helps others.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          NW Platinum Pearl, Diesel/Auto/Dual battery/extra power sockets/anderson plug/tinted windows/icom 400 Pro/3 x DIY bash plates/DIY false floor/cargo system/T13 bar/Airtec Snorkel/12"Light Bar/60 lt water bladder/12 volt water pump/wet seat covers/brake controller/ 2' lift with lovells and bilsteins, HDP catch can

Comment

• El_Freddo
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2018
                            • Bridgewater, Vic

That’s a tidy fix there ChrisPaj! I’d be inclined to break the other tab to put the new replacement unit on there!

On one one of our NPs we have both tabs, on the other there is only the front one and a single clip holding it together. Not great by any means! I’ll be using a cam strap or two to hold and seal the top of the air box to the base.

It’s a shame MFS’s photo doesn’t work any more (at least not for me). It would’ve been another good reference for this mod.

Cheers

Bennie
                            2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Pwoffey
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • Adelaide

When my locator tabs broke I used the tonneau bungee solution but they only lasted about 18 months. Like Ian H, I now use two-sided velcro straps around the entire air box. Cheap, effective, easy to install and release, and no problems or any detectable wear in well over two years.
                              But I've got to say that ChrisPaj's aluminium clips look the biz.
                              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X