• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanymarce
    • Apr 2015
    • Colombia

Thumb safety - a question

When I was first learning to drive off road, I was taught never to have either of my thumbs inside the steering wheel - the concern being that in the event of hitting a rock/tree stump/some other obstacle, the reaction would be that the relevant wheel would be twisted and the resulting torque would make the steering wheel spin, potentially breaking your thumb, if it could be hit by the spinning wheel. If not broken then badly injured. Obviously the idea is not to hit such an obstacle, however in thick vegetation, mud, or water, it's not always possible to see things.

I was watching ("lockdown" exercise) a 4WD youtube video the other day and noticed that some of the experts involved were driving in very uneven conditions with their thumbs inside the wheel.

Am I the only one to have been taught that this is a bad idea?
  • gazza11
    • Aug 2017
    • Medowie NSW

No, you were taught correctly.
    NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

In the olden days they didn't have power steering, and any force that you applied to the steering wheel could be thrown back at you if one of the wheels hit a rock or similar and caused a kickback. It could break you thumbs if they were inside the steering wheel rim. Nowadays, most vehicles have power steering and any input from the driver is magnified at the output from the steering box or rack and pinion. If a kickback does occur, there is no reverse amplification and less feedback is likely. However, the principle still applies - keep you thumbs out of the centre of the wheel and you will be much safer.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

Thumbs were a huge problem back in the pre power steering days, even just clipping the gutter (kerb) while parking could cause you severe damage.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Next question for debate...

10&2 or
          9&3
          for hand position.....

'99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• gazza11
            • Aug 2017
            • Medowie NSW

10-2 position and the push-pull method......has worked fine for me.
            NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
              Next question for debate...

10&2 or
              9&3
              for hand position.....

12 plus window.
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Advanced driving courses teach 9 and 3. That's the super car and formula one drivers way.

Comment

• NFT5
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Canberra

Yes, although there are slight variations on this. I was taught 10-3.
                  Chris

Comment

• bb2wa
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Perth

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                    Thumbs were a huge problem back in the pre power steering days, even just clipping the gutter (kerb) while parking could cause you severe damage.
                    Back in Pre-History doing cross country traverses in Landcruiser traybacks with no power steering, the steering wheel could spin very very fast if mounting a large unseen boulder. Broken thumbs very likely if holding the steering wheel incorrectly.
                    2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• alanymarce
                      • Apr 2015
                      • Colombia

I was taught 10-2, pull (not push), and never cross your arms/hands (i.e., keep your hands between 12 and 5/7). Starting at 10 & 2 means that for most curves your hands are between 9 & 11 / 1 & 3.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X