X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodsfromday
    • Jul 2017
    • Kingaroy

Was also thinking of getting another tow tongue like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOWBAR-TONG....c100033.m2042
    and using it. Hopefully, it will give me the door clearance that I need. I then can get the lifted springs for the rear to give me the height I need to just about level me out.

Comment

• Faereag
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Just a quick question Rods - I may have missed it earlier, but do you have the tyre lift plate fitted already?
      Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• rodsfromday
        • Jul 2017
        • Kingaroy

Originally posted by Faereag View Post
        Just a quick question Rods - I may have missed it earlier, but do you have the tyre lift plate fitted already?
        No i dont. That was an option but it would have bothered me looking at the rear and seeing the spare wheel offset from centre. I know that would solve the problem and might look into it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

From Rods photo it is difficult to get the complete picture as he is parked on a slope but I suspect download is significant, rear coils are too soft and the hitch connection too low.

1. Measure front ride height, centre hub to under wheel arch when camper is disconnected and then again when connected.

2. Measure rear ride height, centre hub to under wheel arch when camper is disconnected and then again when connected.

3. Get camper drawbar level and measure centre of McHitch pin.

4. Measure centre of McHitch coupling on towbar when camper is not connected.

Post figures then we can look at the solutions, chances are it will require more than one change.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dbdb
            • Aug 2008
            • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
            No i dont. That was an option but it would have bothered me looking at the rear and seeing the spare wheel offset from centre. I know that would solve the problem and might look into it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
            The lift plate for the spare wheel just lifts it straight up, doesn't offset it at all. But what OJ said too.
            14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
            04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

This is the tongue I went with. Works well..

The extra length helps and as the camper is not real heavy weight vs length wont be a factor.

Definitely buy the 2 inch (50mm) spare wheel lift kit from MM.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

This maybe a silly question but can the mchitch be inverted and mounted under the draw bar of the van somehow?
                Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• rodsfromday
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Kingaroy

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  From Rods photo it is difficult to get the complete picture as he is parked on a slope but I suspect download is significant, rear coils are too soft and the hitch connection too low.

1. Measure front ride height, centre hub to under wheel arch when camper is disconnected and then again when connected.

2. Measure rear ride height, centre hub to under wheel arch when camper is disconnected and then again when connected.

3. Get camper drawbar level and measure centre of McHitch pin.

4. Measure centre of McHitch coupling on towbar when camper is not connected.

Post figures then we can look at the solutions, chances are it will require more than one change.

OJ.
                  OJ
                  I have done this now and here are the results.
                  1. Disconnected - 485mm Connected - 490mm
                  2. Disconnected - 515mm Connected - 495mm
                  3. 570mm
                  4. 540mm

Hope that helps. Thanx

Comment

• rodsfromday
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Kingaroy

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                    This maybe a silly question but can the mchitch be inverted and mounted under the draw bar of the van somehow?
                    Not sure, will probably help if i asked the supplier if that was indeed possible? I dont see why not though. In my case my drawbar would have to be modified anyway.
                    Last edited by rodsfromday; 28-10-17, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Apollo
                      • Dec 2016
                      • Cooloola Coast QLD

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                      I run a hyland hitch and it is mounted under my drawbar without any issues.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
                        OJ
                        I have done this now and here are the results.
                        1. Disconnected - 485mm Connected - 490mm
                        2. Disconnected - 515mm Connected - 495mm
                        3. 570mm
                        4. 540mm

Hope that helps. Thanx
                        Comments,
                        1. Front disconnected - 485mm this is low as factory height is 500mm to 505mm
                        Front connected - 490mm, this "lift is from the weight transfer from the rear loads, it is not excessive.
                        2. Rear disconnected - 515mm, this is slightly low as factory height is 530mm to 535mm.
                        Rear connected - 495mm, minimum legal height is 488mm so you have only 7mm up your sleeve, but some extra weight in the cargo area or rear seat and you will soon loose this.
                        3. Coupling height when drawbar is level 570mm.
                        4. Hitch height when coupling not connected 540mm.

Assuming you do not want to do a full suspension upgrade and lift and the Pajero is mostly used for bitumen city driving when empty and light to moderate towing loads on the bitumen.
                        Then from the above figures I can tell the tow ball load is not excessive as you are only getting a 5mm lift on the front when you connect up. This could easily be corrected by a WDH with low force settings. Note WDH's should not be used off-road or where there a large range of vertical angle change is required. Rear coils from factory are quite soft so they have sagged a little and do not carry the towball download very well. A set of Progressive rate standard height King coils will fix this problem and firm up the twitchy rear end when towing, if you plan on carrying more weight in the rear seat or cargo area then a set of airbags could be also considered to assist the coils when loaded. Airbags must have separate airlines do not be tempted to plumb them in a common line as you will get air transfer from onside to another around corners and the end result is dangerously poor handling. If you do airbags only then you would need to run these at higher pressures and this is risky if you develop an air leak on one side, much safer to have the replacement coils doing 90% of the work and the airbags doing 10% rather than the airbags doing 100%.

You are always going to have a problem with standard height suspension, a 570mm drawbar level height and opening the rear door. If you invert the McHitch coupling to solve the door opening issue then your drawbar angle will be greater and you also expose the hitch to potential damage in spoon drains and will a WDH fit correctly? Is the McHitch bolted to the top of the drawbar, if so then the drawbar could be modified so the coupling can sit lower than the top of the drawbar but even then will the rear door open with a 570mm drawbar height?. Since it is only a single axle camper than having a level drawbar is not that critical it just looks wrong.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• rodsfromday
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Kingaroy

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Comments,
                          1. Front disconnected - 485mm this is low as factory height is 500mm to 505mm
                          Front connected - 490mm, this "lift is from the weight transfer from the rear loads, it is not excessive.
                          2. Rear disconnected - 515mm, this is slightly low as factory height is 530mm to 535mm.
                          Rear connected - 495mm, minimum legal height is 488mm so you have only 7mm up your sleeve, but some extra weight in the cargo area or rear seat and you will soon loose this.
                          3. Coupling height when drawbar is level 570mm.
                          4. Hitch height when coupling not connected 540mm.

Assuming you do not want to do a full suspension upgrade and lift and the Pajero is mostly used for bitumen city driving when empty and light to moderate towing loads on the bitumen.
                          Then from the above figures I can tell the tow ball load is not excessive as you are only getting a 5mm lift on the front when you connect up. This could easily be corrected by a WDH with low force settings. Note WDH's should not be used off-road or where there a large range of vertical angle change is required. Rear coils from factory are quite soft so they have sagged a little and do not carry the towball download very well. A set of Progressive rate standard height King coils will fix this problem and firm up the twitchy rear end when towing, if you plan on carrying more weight in the rear seat or cargo area then a set of airbags could be also considered to assist the coils when loaded. Airbags must have separate airlines do not be tempted to plumb them in a common line as you will get air transfer from onside to another around corners and the end result is dangerously poor handling. If you do airbags only then you would need to run these at higher pressures and this is risky if you develop an air leak on one side, much safer to have the replacement coils doing 90% of the work and the airbags doing 10% rather than the airbags doing 100%.

You are always going to have a problem with standard height suspension, a 570mm drawbar level height and opening the rear door. If you invert the McHitch coupling to solve the door opening issue then your drawbar angle will be greater and you also expose the hitch to potential damage in spoon drains and will a WDH fit correctly? Is the McHitch bolted to the top of the drawbar, if so then the drawbar could be modified so the coupling can sit lower than the top of the drawbar but even then will the rear door open with a 570mm drawbar height?. Since it is only a single axle camper than having a level drawbar is not that critical it just looks wrong.

OJ.
                          Thanx for that great response.
                          Look i will be using the camper 4-5 times, at most, a year. As i am tapering down to my $$ i can spend, i was thinking the following.
                          1. 40mm or 50mm raised heavy duty rear springs.
                          2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOWBAR-TONG....c100033.m2042. This is lower than my current tongue and might just clear my rear door.

Hopefully doing that will solve the problem. At one stage I was also looking at airbags but then I was told it only supports the rear springs and won't give any lift.

With regard to fitting hitch, fitted above drawbar currently, underneath drawbar, the idea of it getting damaged also crossed my mind. I had another look yesterday and I don't think that I am far off from the mark. Many told me that my setup wasn't really that bad. Prbably just being too padantic about it being and looking level.
                          Thanx

Comment

• Having Fun
                            • Jun 2015
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            This is the tongue I went with. Works well..

The extra length helps and as the camper is not real heavy weight vs length wont be a factor.

Definitely buy the 2 inch (50mm) spare wheel lift kit from MM.
                            I had the same problem 2 years ago & tried that exact same hitch; it didn't help.

Comment

• Having Fun
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Adelaide

I have a similar sized pop-top van to your camper, the axle is flipped for more clearance, like yours & I had the same issue. Bought an adjustable hitch from Hall Tow Bars Enfield (on their recommendation); $165 & the problem is solved.

Did not require a lift, in fact, no mods & no suspension upgrade.

Comment

• rodsfromday
                                • Jul 2017
                                • Kingaroy

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                                I had the same problem 2 years ago & tried that exact same hitch; it didn't help.
                                What did you do to solve the problem?
                                Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                                I have a similar sized pop-top van to your camper, the axle is flipped for more clearance, like yours & I had the same issue. Bought an adjustable hitch from Hall Tow Bars Enfield (on their recommendation); $165 & the problem is solved.

Did not require a lift, in fact, no mods & no suspension upgrade.
                                Have you got a picture of your setup, please?

Thank you all.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X