• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paleale
    • Jun 2019
    • Regents Park

NP and NS diesel pump. Is there any difference

Hi all, I hope someone can help me with the difference between an NP and a NS diesel pump. I'm looking at buying my 1st pajero under 12K. I do a lot of interstate driving for work and would hate to be a victim of pump failure. Not only that I won't have the money to pay 5k to fix the pump after purchasing the car. Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Completely different. NP is a rotary injection pump with two stage mechanical injectors. NS is common rail. NP pump costs a bomb to replace and failures are not uncommon. NS is about 1/5th the cost but you rarely hear of a failure.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Paleale
      • Jun 2019
      • Regents Park

Thanks for the reply

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

And as stated there are very very rarely any prodlems with the NS onwards.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
          And as stated there are very very rarely any prodlems with the NS onwards.
          Unless it's an NS auto with DPF.

Had a call a couple of nights back. A colleuge's son is in the market for a paj. He asked for my advice.

I told him to run. 6K for an NP pump replacement would be devastating to a young fella that could only just afford to buy an NP anyway. Then I told him about the NS auto dpf drama's. I told him he may need to up his budget to a > 2010 NT with no DPF (I still hear every now and then of dpf issues with the NT - people I rarely hear from always call me when they have paj issues or want advice )

I did say he could always take the risk, it may or may not happen, but it's something to take onboard before purchase. A hard choice for a young fella - an NP/NS with potential issues down the track or borrowing more money for a 2010+ NT that could still have issues. No easy answer I'm afraid.
          Last edited by sharkcaver; 30-06-19, 10:19 PM.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            Unless it's an NS auto with DPF.
            Point taken, but in the context of this thread, we're only talking about fuel pumps.

So far, touch wood, the common rail fuel pumps are neither as complicated, nor as expensive as the earlier DiD rotary injection pump.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Point taken, but in the context of this thread, we're only talking about fuel pumps.

So far, touch wood, the common rail fuel pumps are neither as complicated, nor as expensive as the earlier DiD rotary injection pump.
              Coming form one that has had an NP pump failure, I agree. Sorry Scott, added a bit more info to my post whilst you were posting. My main reason for the reply was the claim of no NS issues. Sure, not so much with fuel pumps, but that DPF has peeved a few people over the years, and as the OP is looking to buy an NP or NS, then he needs to be informed.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                Coming form one that has had an NP pump failure, I agree. Sorry Scott, added a bit more info to my post whilst you were posting. My main reason for the reply was the claim of no NS issues. Sure, not so much with fuel pumps, but that DPF has peeved a few people over the years, and as the OP is looking to buy an NP or NS, then he needs to be informed.
                No worries. Yes, stepping from NP to NS could simply be swapping pump problem for DPF problem - unless your friend wants a manual?

Obviously, a DPF delete is a potential solution (emissions compliance aside), but there is some anecdotal evidence on this forum that not all DPF deletes are equivalent.

So yes, stretching to an NT does have some merit - says he with an NT with DPF who has had no trouble (yet ).
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• psproule
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Googong, NSW

I dont think anyone was claiming no NS issues. Context of the OP was injection pumps.
                  2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                  2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

Back to the OP.

Yes the NS dpf has caused some issues for some but by no means the majority. There are many NS owners on here that have never had problems but is something to consider and keep in mind. That said you say you drive interstate for work, so I'm guessing some good highway runs which will assist.

Overall the NS is good vehicle with only a couple of known problems like the intake manifold can get clogged up. Remove, clean out and possible egr delete or resistor mod sorts it out. Also check door edges as some have had rust issues but again not all.

There are some recalls, like all vehicles nowadays.

Airbags like just about all cars,
                    Timing chain tensioner
                    Indicator stalk
                    Control lever for gearbox
                    Incorrect bolts/nuts to driveshaft

Although this sounds like a lot of problems most recalls have been sorted by now. When I purchased my NS over 3 years ago it was only the airbags that hadn't been done. Easy to check by ringing a Mitsy dealer with the VIN.

For the money they are a great vehicle loaded with plenty of stuff. Yes they are older tech but the 4M41 motor is reliable. For your budget it would be hard to find another 4wd model with the features, reliability, comfort for highway kms along with the ability to have some fun off road.

Just my thoughts bud, good luck choosing.
                    Last edited by aussieintas; 02-07-19, 07:30 AM. Reason: Further info
                    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...