• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimiw
    • Jan 2017
    • Brisbane

Landcruiser engine question....sorry random

Hey brains trust.

Anyone know why the land cruiser real one (series 200) and the series 76 are badged D4D as well as the Prado? Always thought the D4D stood for Direct 4 Diesel but obviously the real land cruisers are V8 not 4 like the Prado.

Doing my head in and can't find any info though its not a big deal just interested.
    2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

Maybe it stands for "Double" 4 Diesel on the V8's
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Diesel ,4 valves per cylinder, Direct Injection.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        Diesel ,4 valves per cylinder, Direct Injection.

OJ.
        x2. Diesel, 4 Valves, Direct Common Rail injection.

Each engine has its own code as well, so does not have anything to do with cylinder numbers, only the design. Just watch the early 8 cylinders, oil burners, and the current ones, to many problems to list. If you are looking, go for 12 months old and stay away from the first 2 years of the run. Better to wait for the new spec due next year. Many problems should be gone then.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
          x2. Diesel, 4 Valves, Direct Common Rail injection.

Each engine has its own code as well, so does not have anything to do with cylinder numbers, only the design. Just watch the early 8 cylinders, oil burners, and the current ones, to many problems to list. If you are looking, go for 12 months old and stay away from the first 2 years of the run. Better to wait for the new spec due next year. Many problems should be gone then.
          internet hype again.My brother has one of the very very first v8s,has not had a moments trouble with it.The 70 series and the 200 are basicallythe same engine the 200 has twin turbos the 70 series has 1.I truly beleive that all the v8s need is a proper break in.That includes some early full throttle bursts
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
            internet hype again.My brother has one of the very very first v8s,has not had a moments trouble with it.The 70 series and the 200 are basicallythe same engine the 200 has twin turbos the 70 series has 1.I truly beleive that all the v8s need is a proper break in.That includes some early full throttle bursts
            No not internet hype. Here in Australia the oil that was in the vehicles as delivered caused the oil rings to bind on the cylinders and some/most of them bent slightly and caused oil usage, worst case was cylinder scoring and massive oil usage. Some of the 4cyl diesels delivered last year had the same issue. The D4D engines have an all to common failure rate, one dealership that I know well has a couple of bays they call common rail corner, just for engine rebuilds.
            I can get a huge discount on Toyota vehicles and don't own one, but maybe this year when the new designs arrive.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Wasarangie. Pretty common here in nz too, a mate traded his 200 back in on his old 100 after a while - was often at the dealer trying to sort oil usage, in the end sold it. It was well run in too. Another neighbour with a early 79 flatdeck needs more than one top up between services since new.
              Not as common as the Holden Colorado oil issue though!
              1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
              1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
              2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                No not internet hype. Here in Australia the oil that was in the vehicles as delivered caused the oil rings to bind on the cylinders and some/most of them bent slightly and caused oil usage, worst case was cylinder scoring and massive oil usage. Some of the 4cyl diesels delivered last year had the same issue. The D4D engines have an all to common failure rate, one dealership that I know well has a couple of bays they call common rail corner, just for engine rebuilds.
                I can get a huge discount on Toyota vehicles and don't own one, but maybe this year when the new designs arrive.
                i stand corrrected.I know that at our work our 2.8 hilux ute now blows a lot of smoke and that injector issues with Prado's and Hilux's are not unknown,but as i say My bro has not has any issues at all
                2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Morville
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                  Not as common as the Holden Colorado oil issue though!
                  Hi NJV6
                  What is the Colorado oil issue?
                  My 2012 RG model has now done 80,000k's. No issues here.
                  Peter

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

Hi Peter, it was the later ones than you have - 2014,2015. I have one friend who is waiting for a replacement engine (50,000km) and another friend already has his new engine and Holden are well aware of it, they first just put a different upper mark on the dipstick to hold more oil but they still burnt it all.
                    They do oil consumption tests on them, bit on the net about it. Nice Ute and the best thing is Holden are doing something about it by replacing the engines.
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X