• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NW_Exceed_MY14
    • Dec 2019
    • AU

Help - buying MY14 NW Exceed

Hi fellows

This is my first post so hoping to get some help. I am looking to buy a 2014 Exceed and got an RAC inspection (Perth, WA) but they have come up with some vague comments.
    Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this.

The car has done only 55k kms and looks very good.

Cheers. Click image for larger version

Name:	_20191210_151610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	999043

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Regarding points oil overfull, brake fluid and air filter.......sounds like a service would sort these out with new oil, filters and fluid. If the oil is only just a bit overfull this isnt an issue in my opinion. It will be due a service at 60000kms, they are every 15000kms.

Door strut........they do move a bit, well mine does. They are not rock solid. Only way would be feel the movement against another Pajero.

Tyre wear......could just require an alignment and obviously new tyres if near to limit.

Battery recharge........if been standing for a bit, especially in a car yard or dealer yes the battery may be a bit low in charge. Being a 2014 model it may be the battery is on its way out.

Regarding excessive smoke and oil weep. These may have to be looked at further. Where is it weeping from......a seal or is it just some spilt oil?? Most diesels emit smoke under heavy load, some kore than others.

May be worth a mechanic who knows Pajeros to have a look at some of these points. Also could be a point to bargain with the price.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2019
      • Victoria

ok, 4 tyres in 55k? Been driven hard i think.

Oil leak? Sump FIPG leaking. Leaks collect at rear of sump

Brake fluid needs changing

Excessive smoke under heavy load? Could be made worse bydirty air filter. Not normally heavy smokers
      2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• NW_Exceed_MY14
        • Dec 2019
        • AU

Thanks @DibbyDibbyDJ and @aussieintas for quick and detailed replies. Much appreciated. The seller has organised a follow up meeting with his normal service garage and I will go and discuss these issues with them.

Comment

• Ky1e
          • Aug 2015
          • Muswellbrook

Buy it and I'll swap you for my NS..

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by NW_Exceed_MY14 View Post
            Hi fellows

This is my first post so hoping to get some help. I am looking to buy a 2014 Exceed and got an RAC inspection (Perth, WA) but they have come up with some vague comments.

Cheers. [ATTACH]42915[/ATTACH]

Well there is two ways of looking at it?
            At least you know it would seem upfront it hasn't been serviced overly well, but looks to be not a lot of kilometres.
            Is there service records available?
            Dirty air filter if it is actually retsrictive dirty, will absolutley make the engine blow black smoke,
            Needs a set of tyres & wheel alignment
            Allow for a battery, batteries don't like low charge, might last few weeks, might last 2 years with a charge?
            Has an oil leak.

If it was me, these things if k's appeared genuine via wear & tear around vehicle floor, seats, gearsticks, rear cargo area, underneath etc, probably wouldnt bother me one bit, but I would be pricing it accordingly to bring it back to what you want it to be.
            There is always another vehicle to buy depending on what value at what price.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              Well there is two ways of looking at it?
              At least you know it would seem upfront it hasn't been serviced overly well, but looks to be not a lot of kilometres.
              Is there service records available?
              Dirty air filter if it is actually retsrictive dirty, will absolutley make the engine blow black smoke,
              Needs a set of tyres & wheel alignment
              Allow for a battery, batteries don't like low charge, might last few weeks, might last 2 years with a charge?
              Has an oil leak.

If it was me, these things if k's appeared genuine via wear & tear around vehicle floor, seats, gearsticks, rear cargo area, underneath etc, probably wouldnt bother me one bit, but I would be pricing it accordingly to bring it back to what you want it to be.
              There is always another vehicle to buy depending on what value at what price.

If it's the rear main seal or the sump it's a bloody costly exercise.

Our NS had both done under warranty.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                If it's the rear main seal or the sump it's a bloody costly exercise.

Our NS had both done under warranty.
                Yeah price it accordingly or buy another one.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Keithyv
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2018
                  • Perth

What price are they asking?

Personally if in doubt I'd move on.

For a comparison I bought my 2014 NW about 18 months ago with about 40,000km on it and the brake fluid was clear (still is), not a whiff of oil anywhere and all tyres were evenly worn with still a bit of life left (I replaced all 4 at about 55,000km)

Inside and out was basically new - as I'd expect almost any well looked after car to be, even at 55,000 km and only 4 -5 years old...
                  2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                  MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by NW_Exceed_MY14 View Post
                    Hi fellows

Cheers. [ATTACH]42915[/ATTACH]

• Oil level overfull.
                    • Service light not reset.
                    • Uneven tyre wear.
                    • Dirty brake fluid.
                    • Battery charge recommended.
                    All of these suggest to me that the vehicle has been driven hard at some stage, not well maintained, and not driven much lately (battery charge low). Can the seller explain that?

As for the dirty air filter, check the service schedule - I don't think the factory schedule mandates a change at every 15k km service, so last service might not have required a new filter.

To me, all of the above is indicative of poor service, which devalues the vehicle - but doesn't make it worthless. If you can buy it at the right price it might still be worthwhile - but it needs to be at the lower end of the spectrum, it certainly doesn't seem worth a price premium.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      • Oil level overfull.
                      • Service light not reset.
                      • Uneven tyre wear.
                      • Dirty brake fluid.
                      • Battery charge recommended.
                      All of these suggest to me that the vehicle has been driven hard at some stage, not well maintained, and not driven much lately (battery charge low). Can the seller explain that?

As for the dirty air filter, check the service schedule - I don't think the factory schedule mandates a change at every 15k km service, so last service might not have required a new filter.

To me, all of the above is indicative of poor service, which devalues the vehicle - but doesn't make it worthless. If you can buy it at the right price it might still be worthwhile - but it needs to be at the lower end of the spectrum, it certainly doesn't seem worth a price premium.
                      100% agree with this,
                      Great thing is you seen it warts & all, should see that as a positive, guy certainly isn't hiding the fact .
                      Not always bad thing, could pay a premium & he had had it all shiney like a car yard would.

Plenty more out there to buy otherwise deduct as someone has too pay.
                      Full service, oil leak, tyres, battery, wheel alignment, tidy up & whatever else, your time to muck around if you choose too from what you think it is worth in good condition too you.
                      Whatever your figure is, not the seller.
                      Work it out & thats the offered price.

If you want the vehicle that is.
                      If he says no, well remind him in a couple of weeks your still around
                      There will be another car to buy otherwise.
                      Unless it is an urgent purchase just remember cash is king & they want to sell the car!

It's low k's, if your happy the wear & tear match the k's that is, but it is 5 year old remember that when pricing.

If it was 200,000k's I would run if like that !!

That's how I like to buy anyhow & I always like buying private, skips the dealers margains. They would have detailed, tidied up, you wouldn't have a clue & you would pay premium.

Same way we price up machinery for trade in machinery yards.

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

As mentioned, it sounds like the servicing has not been the best, so budget for a full major service including the listed items + coolant & tappet adjustment (unless proof they have been done). My guess is allow about $1,500 perhaps more - get a service quote from a dealer & use it to negotiate price. Tyres & possible battery would be extra if required.

Sometimes a protective wax seeps out between the bell housing & engine, which looks like an oil leak but isn't. The wax is more brown in colour than oil. Normal process is to wipe it off & see if it reappears, but you probably won't have a chance to do this.

Also check the VIN number on the MMAL website to ensure all recalls have been completed.
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                          Sometimes a protective wax seeps out between the bell housing & engine, which looks like an oil leak but isn't. The wax is more brown in colour than oil. Normal process is to wipe it off & see if it reappears, but you probably won't have a chance to do this.
                          Out-dealer thought that. Lucky it was done under warranty as it's a few $1,000 job. I believe the sump gasket whatever can not be replaced insitu.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                            Out-dealer thought that. Lucky it was done under warranty as it's a few $1,000 job. I believe the sump gasket whatever can not be replaced insitu.

Probably a 2-3 hour job. Poor adhesion of FIPG due to bad prep at engine assembly causes leak. Certainly a warranty job
                            2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Any oil weeps means its not roadworthy. My original Yokohama tyres only lasted 28,000klms. On my 3rd battery in 5 years...original lasted 12 months, 2nd lasted 3 years.

I,d expect to pay $30,000 tops.
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X