• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinsch
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

Surging with cruise control

The Pajero feels like it is surging when cruise control is selected on, through the complete range more noticeable above about 80kph, with cruise control selected off and hold a steady accelerator seems to be OK, any thoughts on a possible cause.
    Have not even started trying to fault find, TIA
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.
  • Dalma01
    • Jun 2013
    • Sydney

Originally posted by hinsch View Post
    The Pajero feels like it is surging when cruise control is selected on, through the complete range more noticeable above about 80kph, with cruise control selected off and hold a steady accelerator seems to be OK, any thoughts on a possible cause.
    Have you fitted bigger tyres?
    Sometimes the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking.
    Hence the surge.

Comment

• Muzza
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Nsw

I have had this since new , only on open highways, like the Hume Hwy, the vehicle surges, +/- about 1km can’t see it on speedo, but can pick it on boost gauge, it doesn’t do it on single lane country roads, or any if there is load on vehicle like a headwind etc
      Dealer couldn’t find the problem ( no surprises there).
      Good luck with finding it, I reckon it’s in the boost controller
      Cheers
      Muzza
      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• gazza11
        • Aug 2017
        • Medowie NSW

I have an NT Diesel and it has done it since new, again on the open road like the Express Way and when going down a hill. Seems to be when on light throttle. Dealer made no reply when mentioned and has not gotten any worse over the years.
        NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

My experience of surging on cruise control has been with a petrol engine and occurred when cresting a hill. At times so scary I had to apply the brakes to drop out of cruise control.

A petrol engine with an automatic transmission has feedback (vacuum) from the inlet manifold to the transmission unit via a "modulator". I've had this modulator replaced during a service on a petrol engine.
          Does a diesel engine have this type of feedback?
          Is the feedback path, in whatever form, "sticky"?
          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

I’ve just put it down to being a poorly tuned from design stage cruise control.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Ky1e
              • Aug 2015
              • Muswellbrook

How many k's on it?
              Surging on a diesel paj is usually caused by wear in the suction control valve. (valve which regulates your injector pump output pressure)

Comment

• farcanal
                • Mar 2010

Sold my NP at 280,000 kliks.
                Never a hint of surging and used cruise all the time.

Comment

• hinsch
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Perth

Originally posted by Dalma01 View Post
                  Have you fitted bigger tyres?
                  Sometimes the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking.
                  Hence the surge.
                  It’s a manual 2014 diesel so the gearbox can be ruled out I think

Comment

• hinsch
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Perth

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                    I have had this since new , only on open highways, like the Hume Hwy, the vehicle surges, +/- about 1km can’t see it on speedo, but can pick it on boost gauge, it doesn’t do it on single lane country roads, or any if there is load on vehicle like a headwind etc
                    Dealer couldn’t find the problem ( no surprises there).
                    Good luck with finding it, I reckon it’s in the boost controller
                    Cheers
                    Similar problem like it’s a bit of a lazy cruise control , cruise control misses the set speed then goes are f... I better get this thing going again back up to set speed it’s only a kilometre per hr or two but noticeable

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Similar problem like it’s a bit of a lazy cruise control , cruise control misses the set speed then goes are f... I better get this thing going again back up to set speed it’s only a kilometre per hr or two but noticeable
                      Thats normal for these cars on undulating roads - I've had several & they have all been the same. The cruise control is really only meant for flat roads.
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X