• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluepajee
    • Dec 2019
    • Melbourne

Cruise control form GLS V6 NJ to GLX 2.8t

Hey there, wondering if this is doable?

There's a bloke selling the stalk and whatever else is attached in SA and i'd love to do it!!

Thanks very much

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Cruise control requires a vacuum source to operate the system. The V6 engine has vacuum from normal throttle operation. A diesel doesn't have that so you would need to get a separate vacuum pump. Then you would need to have the electrical cabling harness. Murphy's law tells me that your diesel wont have the correct wiring harness. It probably also lacks the speed sensor to give the signal to the cruise control unit.

Comment

• Bluepajee
      • Dec 2019
      • Melbourne

Thanks heaps!

That's a real bugger, I'll do some more research before I go forking out $

Comment

• Bluepajee
        • Dec 2019
        • Melbourne

Would you know of any after market setups that would address the problems you raised? My google skillz are coming up empty ): have searched for hours all dead ends

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Sorry - I don't know any aftermarket setups but I am sure there will be some. Another thing you would need (hopefully part of the kit you get) would be limit switches for the clutch and brake pedals

Comment

• Just Cruzin
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Pakenham

I had an aftermarket one fitted to my 75 series Troopy years ago by a mob in Rooks Road Nunawading.
            No idea of their name but heading towards Canterbury Road they were on the left after the dog leg about half way along, and down the back of a huge factory estate.
            99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Cobra Car Alarms
              Factory 13, 137-145 Rooks Road, Vermont
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• pharb
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Tyers,Vic

Regardless of whether you were refitting to petrol or deisel you will need the whole kit, whether second hand or new.

The diesel does have a vacuum source. It uses a vacuum pump like every other light deisel with hydraulic brakes, the only difference with the NJ was it was the first Jap car to use a dedicated, gear driven vacuum pump (and power steering pump), unlike others at the time which used vacuum pumps piggy backed on the back of belt driven alternators.

Whether petrol or deisel, just have to tap into a vacuum line to provide a source of "force" for the cruise control unit to modulate the mechanical throttle mechanism.

More modern vehicles with electronic throttles will have kits that "plug in" to the wiring loom and use electrical power to modulate the electronically controlled throttle.

My NJ 2.8 had a cruise control fitted when I bought it. Never worked, but I never bothered trying to work out the issue.

Speed sensing was old fashioned magnetics attached to tail shaft and senosor alongside. Possibly could piggy back on existing electronic speedo sensor.
                PCOV Member 1107.
                Daily driver NX GLX
                Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Bluepajee
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Melbourne

Thanks for your replies, the Command ap60b for around $300 is installed here with a good 20 min install and test vid on a Delica with success

Patrol GQ owners seemed to have had no issues with them either. Seems a good bang for buck option for those interested. I'll post how I go with it, hopefully can get it on before my upcoming trip to the dunes in Robe SA

Comment

• pb4x2
                    • May 2015
                    • Deception Bay Qld 4508

I have fitted many Command cruise control kits in the last forty odd years and have no hesitation recommending them as a good quality and reliable kit.
                    2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• Bluepajee
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Melbourne

Good to know! Any tips or tricks with the setup?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X