• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MLCE WILSON
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Removing 2nd row seats

Hi All,
    heading out west for an extended road trip and looking to minimize unnecessary weight and maximize carrying capacity. What are the legalities of temporarily removing the 2nd row seats from the car.
    The 3rd row are long gone.
    Thanks
    Mark
  • symo
    • Jan 2012
    • Brisvegas

Unless selling the car it shouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

We've covered this before in here and there seems to be two schools of thought. One as in the above reply, the other saying it's illegal as the car is registered to carry 5 (or 7) people and if you remove the seats it alters that aspect of the registration. It doesn't apply to the third row as they are designed to be removed.

it could also be a state based issue and differ in each one.

A mate of mine asked Vic Roads the same question and was told he had to bring the car in and get the removal signed off, which he did. He was told to come back when the seats went back in for it to be ticked off again but when he did that, a different person said he didn't need to look and wondered why he'd been told to do that. So if they're confused in at Vic Roads, what hope do we have.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Pretty much as Ian said, with slight differences between states.

Vicroads here -

Most states recognize "temporary" removal.

Issue comes done to internet forum's definition of "temporary".

I argue if it unbolts it can be bolted back in so therefore temporary.

If you unbolt gearbox to replace clutch is the gearbox removal permanent or temporary?
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Dodgemeister
          • Apr 2016
          • Frankston south

A friend tried doing this on his 2018 Landcruiser. Took the seat out but as soon as he turned on the ignition, the car threw up a fault code, probably due to the seat sensors (For airbag purposes?) not being connected anymore. He couldn't get an answer from Toyota if the code would cause any problems so erred on the side of caution and put the seat back. If your seat has a harness, then I think the same situation will occur.

Comment

• DT6061
            • May 2015
            • Tea Gardens

Originally posted by Dodgemeister View Post
            A friend tried doing this on his 2018 Landcruiser. Took the seat out but as soon as he turned on the ignition, the car threw up a fault code, probably due to the seat sensors (For airbag purposes?) not being connected anymore. He couldn't get an answer from Toyota if the code would cause any problems so erred on the side of caution and put the seat back. If your seat has a harness, then I think the same situation will occur.
            Had mine out previously, no codes, no issues
            2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Pajero's dont have sensors for the rear seats.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• MLCE WILSON
                • Dec 2016
                • Sydney

Hi All,
                thanks for the feedback. Looks like the seats will get the flick for the trip. If I get the chance I will weigh them to see how much benefit apart from space is gained.

By the way has anyone been out to Toorale national park near Bourke interested to hear feedback
                cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

I remove the 2nd row seats on my Challenger for long trips, from memory the total all weight is between 50 and 55kg. The seats are replaced with 2 lightweight 8m thick marine ply storage units which weigh less than 25kg. The bottom section is used for 7x10lt plastic diesel containers, the middle section is for water, wine and beer and the Blackwolf Turbo 240 sits across the top of the units. Combined with assorted other heavy gear including a couple of bags of ecology, this area holds around 250kg of payload forward of the rear axle which is a similar weight to 2 adults if they were sitting in the rear seats if the seats where fitted.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jayctee
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Brisbane

Thanks old Jack, that sounds like a perfect plan for my next trip when I would like to carry some more diesel.
                    Any chance of some pics of the setup, or a link to where you may have published it previously ?
                    Thanks.
                    SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.
                    SOLD 1997 NK GLX 3.5 Auto

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Jayctee View Post
                      Thanks old Jack, that sounds like a perfect plan for my next trip when I would like to carry some more diesel.
                      Any chance of some pics of the setup, or a link to where you may have published it previously ?
                      Thanks.
                      File is very large so if you send me an email I will email you photos and details.
                      I am still resisting the extortion of Photobucket to unlock my account.
                      Offer is open to all that are interested.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X