• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Others may well disagree but I wouldn't be towing a 2700kg+ van on my Paj. Not saying you can't do it, but I wouldn't. Even if you stuck to 2700kg (would you??) that's only 300kg less than the absolute maximum permitted. For me that's too fine a margin for long term regular towing.

Paj's torque, even enhanced with technical wizardry, is fine, but that's not the only thing to consider especially when towing. Chassis (or in a Paj, subframe) strength, gear box strength, stress on suspension and drive train components over the long haul (pun intended) all must figure in your decision.

Paj auto is a very good box, but when towing keep it in "manual" mode and usually in 4th gear or below. Get a Scangauge/Ultragauge, program in the auto trans temp gauge, and consult it regularly. It's a real education.

As Nab has already pointed out if you want to tow over 2500kg, you must ensure the ball weight is less than 180kg. That itself can be a challenge the heavier the van. The usual advice from caravanners is that you choose the van first, then the tug to suit the van, not the other way around. If the appropriate tug is too expensive, then choose a different van to start with.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• mattstruck
      • Apr 2017
      • Vic

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
      Others may well disagree but I wouldn't be towing a 2700kg+ van on my Paj. Not saying you can't do it, but I wouldn't. Even if you stuck to 2700kg (would you??) that's only 300kg less than the absolute maximum permitted. For me that's too fine a margin for long term regular towing.

Paj's torque, even enhanced with technical wizardry, is fine, but that's not the only thing to consider especially when towing. Chassis (or in a Paj, subframe) strength, gear box strength, stress on suspension and drive train components over the long haul (pun intended) all must figure in your decision.

Paj auto is a very good box, but when towing keep it in "manual" mode and usually in 4th gear or below. Get a Scangauge/Ultragauge, program in the auto trans temp gauge, and consult it regularly. It's a real education.

As Nab has already pointed out if you want to tow over 2500kg, you must ensure the ball weight is less than 180kg. That itself can be a challenge the heavier the van. The usual advice from caravanners is that you choose the van first, then the tug to suit the van, not the other way around. If the appropriate tug is too expensive, then choose a different van to start with.

OH GAWD!!! DONT MAKE ME BUY A JEEP!!! PLEASE!!!!!
      Grand Cherokee is about the final stop before we hit the $100k 200 series
      I really dont want to go down that path!

Also I wont be towing regularly. More like 2-3 weeks twice a year.

Comment

• MatthewP
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • North of Brisbane

If you can live without a new interior, its hard to look past a 100 series, if your going to tow.
        05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by mattstruck View Post
          OH GAWD!!! DONT MAKE ME BUY A JEEP!!! PLEASE!!!!!
          Ok, Ok, relax, I promise we just won't go there.
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
            I have to agree with Dicko in regards to van weight...even a Prado pulling a van 2500kg to 3000kg will struggle.
            At 2500 to 3000kg van weight, you are definetly in a V8 Cruiser / 79 series Land cruiser territory to have a reliable tow vehicle...
            You would be just pulling the guts out of a Prado or Pajero...others will disagree, but anyway you look at it...these two vehicles are a mid size 4wd....really, they are not suited to heavy van towing.
            It would be more prudent to drop the van weight down to 2000kg tare and work on about 2500kg gross..remembering you will also have gear in the vehicle as well, when towing, which is more stress on the vehicle.
            In having a $60k vehicle budget, well, a second hand v8 diesel 79 series dual cab..medium K's, from the auctions...may...i say, may be a better option...examples here..

Then with Patience and with Prudent Research...you may pick one up in mid the $40's .. 79 series with your requirements...which would give you extra $$$$...for mods like 6 speed auto, suspension etc.

But, please, for you and your partners holidaying sanity, your hip pocket and the reliability of your vehicle, if you still have your desires set on Pajero or are keeping the Prado to save $$$$...get a van at about 2000kg tare weight...

This is sound advice. There are also some good low mileage 200 series out there (v8 diesels) for below $60,000) , if you have to tow a large van.
            Last edited by Dicko1; 26-04-17, 08:48 AM.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Brisbane

When figuring out what a vehicle will tow, look at the GCM and GVM and start deducting from there. This is where people are failing at the weigh bridge. It is worth having a good think about what mods you plan for your 4x4. Fuel, water, fridge, tools, passengers, bash plates, side steps, LT tyres, etc all add up pretty quickly. This is why lots of people are towing with Pajeros. Duel cabs and 200 Series need GVM upgrades to tow near their rated capacity if you have more than 2 passengers. Pajero has the same problem but not as bad.

Lighter van means you can legally pack more beer.
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• mattstruck
                • Apr 2017
                • Vic

mmmmmm beeeeeer!

Comment

• mattstruck
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Vic

OK so spoke to a local re-map tuner who says he can get me 180Kw and 500Nm out of the 3.2 on his Dyno. Stock exhaust.
                  That combined with suspension, airbags and an auto tranny cooler. Maybe also a tranny fan too. That would be a decent tug. True???

It would only be towing for 2 to 3 weeks once or twice a year. The rest of the time a school and grocery getter.

You see everything is about compromise. Im trying to find a car that isnt the size of a tank, that can pull a big van ok and can fit in a car park, pick up kids and do grocery runs.
                  The MRS will drive it 80% of the time.

A Landcruiser is far too big and expensive. The Jeep is... well... a Jeep... The 79 series is an agricultural pig that the Mrs would hate to drive. Leaves the Paj, the Ranger (dont really want a ute), The Everest (maybe...), the M-UX (interior takes me back to 1965... and I wasnt even born then), Patrol (no thanks... and too big) or a Touareg (concerned if something goes wrong $$$$$$$$!!!!).
                  You see my dilemna?

Its easy to say no, not the Paj! but when faced with all the options I have the Paj keeps bobbing up.
                  Maybe I should ask: If you were in my shoes, with the options I have, which way would you go?

Its not that im not listening to you guys. I respect your advice and opinions. Thats why I asked.
                  But what car would you choose in my shoes with all considerations taken into account?
                  Maybe I would be better with a Jeep?
                  Maybe buy a M-UX and spend the $ on a re-map?

What would you choose? Or tell me to piss off

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

I tend to agree with your thoughts about the vehicles you've listed.

The MUX would probably do the job pretty well, but might be a bit light on for power and torque towing the large van.

Everest (and Ranger) seem overpriced for what they are, and frankly, I reckon anyone who buys a Jeep or a Volkswagen has rocks in their heads.

The Paj is a very good all-rounder. Car-like to drive, and whilst it doesn't lead the pack in any area, it's competent in all of them.
                    Merts
                    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

If your going down the ECU remap then the Paj would be good to do the job occaisionally. Ensure you put an Ultragauge on the accessories list (same as 2nd fuel filter and egr block). Tow in 4th sports mode and try and take only what you need when towing. I went the Paj over the 200 series because they are not a very nimble car to have with windy roads, roundabouts and large town/city driving. If I had of been towing large then , yes a Tojo. Paj will serve you well as long as you set it up right ( which appears you intend to do). I,d go for a good, low kilometer NW that will probably be set up for towing already and possibly had the suspension done.
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

If you're only towing once or twice a year I wouldn't spend my money on the ECU remap if you're missus is using it 80% of the time if she's anything like my missus - starts, goes, fits all my crap = good car! Wouldn't know if a V8 or 2 cylinder was under the hood! If you're gonna drive it more then that may be a different story. I would spend the $$$ on an aux fuel tank instead.

I would go the Pajero or MUX just on proven reliability and all round good 4x4s, then just choose which one suits you best. Value for money its very hard to beat a Pajero, unless you are after wank factor then unfortunately Pajeros seem to be down the bottom of the pack...

Everest is too $$$ in my eyes, seem like a nice 4x4 though.
                        76 series too clunky and truck-like for everyday use, especially if you have back/comfort issues.
                        Patrol is OK but again they are a bit truck-like for everyday use.
                        Landrover/VW/Jeep/anything European would be off my list due to reliability/repair cost issues, perceived or real. If you rely on mechanics/dealers to do the repairs and maintenance the price of parts will make you cry. If you put in the effort and source the parts yourself the cost is comparable but you have to know what you are looking for.
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• mattstruck
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Vic

Yep. Thats what I reckon too! M-UX is a serious hauler but cardboard seats... The rest are all flawed in their own way.

Comment

• Lost1
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Melbourne

The Paj with a remap would be a good tug. From my experience, towing around 2000kg is an easy drive. I know others have upgraded from a Paj when regularly towing around the 3000kg mark. That others say keep your max tow weight around 2500kg makes sense to me.

Another question is do you really need that extra 2-3ft of van? Remember, a relaxed drive at a 100k will be more enjoyable when going on holiday.

This will probably cause a bit of a stir. But if the 3 tonne van is a must have, then a Jeep is your best choice. From memory Paj People have had a Jeep for a little while. Maybe send a PM to check out how it is going.
                            09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• zoom
                              • Apr 2017
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by Lost1 View Post
                              The Paj with a remap would be a good tug. From my experience, towing around 2000kg is an easy drive. I know others have upgraded from a Paj when regularly towing around the 3000kg mark. That others say keep your max tow weight around 2500kg makes sense to me.

Another question is do you really need that extra 2-3ft of van? Remember, a relaxed drive at a 100k will be more enjoyable when going on holiday.

This will probably cause a bit of a stir. But if the 3 tonne van is a must have, then a Jeep is your best choice. From memory Paj People have had a Jeep for a little while. Maybe send a PM to check out how it is going.

This is where I get lost isn't it the manufacture that sets the tow weight ?? Like how can a Pajero Sport be able to tow 100kg more than a new Pajero 3.2 ???

Comment

• MatthewP
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2014
                                • North of Brisbane

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                                This is where I get lost isn't it the manufacture that sets the tow weight ?? Like how can a Pajero Sport be able to tow 100kg more than a new Pajero 3.2 ???
                                The pajero sport has a solid diff.
                                Pajero has independent rear suspension.
                                05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X