• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ksrb
    • Dec 2015
    • Queensland

NX audio upgrade

Weve had our NX for six months now and with help from this form I'm about done with mods to her.

After six months I can say I'm very happy I bought one as I was close to getting a Grand Cherokee or Paj sport but I'm glad I didn't, but there is one area that lets the car down and its the crap sound that comes from it's speakers so I decided to do something about it.

The head unit itself has been panned a fair bit due to is smartphone based features but I actually like it, more app compatability would be nice but that will come in time, the sound quality issue I think comes from the combination of crap speakers and low powered amp the signal frequencys themselves seem ok. The only frequency choping I could see going on is when fading between front and rear then it cuts bass down alot so leaving the fader in the middle is the go.
    So after a lot of reading here I thought I'd give it a go myself I've done things a little on the cheap side as I'm not an audiophile but most of the gear is of resonable quality and the results are a vast improvement over stock for around $600 also I'm no expert at car audio so anyone who is chime in on my errors! So here we go.
    Last edited by Ksrb; 17-04-17, 09:39 PM.
  • Ksrb
    • Dec 2015
    • Queensland

Most things I've done have been done before by other members in other posts but finding how to adapt to factory head unit was a challenge, there are wiring diagrams around on the net but as I discovered the NX android head unit is wired different to earlier models the only way I could do it was with a custom patch cable and a multimeter

The big white connector plug in the middle is the one that holds the speaker wires and there is no logic to how there set out in the plug it's all over the place also some wires change colour with in the loom as well its pain in the arse, the colours are set out as follows
    Front right + white red stripe
    - Black red stripe
    Front left + Red
    - blue black stripe
    Rear right + yellow red stripe
    - pink red stripe
    Rear left + Blue white stripe
    - Blue green stripe
    Check these with a multimeter before connecting to an amp or line out converter!
    I used a Jaycar line out converter because I wanted to split the front channels to a seperate subwoofer amp but you could just run straight from your headunit to an amp if the amp supports speaker level inputs.

From there its plain sailing I redid the speaker wiring to all but the drivers side door as its a pain to get the new wire through the rubber door conduit and the central locking went nuts when I tried to disconnect the connector block so I used the existing wiring in the door (it's big enough for the 60w
    I'm pushing) but loom wiring drops down in size alot after the connector shown below.

The fronts are Pioneer component splits as others have done I gutted the factory ones and sikaflexed the new spaekers to the mounting plate, fits perfect same for the tweaters.
    Last edited by Ksrb; 17-04-17, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Ksrb
      • Dec 2015
      • Queensland

Sorry for the massive pic sizes I dont know how to change that

Comment

• Chainsaw
        • Oct 2016
        • Sunshine Coast Aust

Just open your pic with "Paint" click on "Resize" up top, then click on "Pixels" I set mine about 800-900.
        Then Save. PS. Paint is a program which is in most computers...................Right click picture and go to "Open With" Paint

Comment

• Ksrb
          • Dec 2015
          • Queensland

Not much room under the seat but this Kenwood amp is tiny and pushes out 60w at 4ohm!

The rear speakers are Infinity reference 50w I used their mounting system its a good set up

This is a cheap setup but man it pumps out some bass turn it up and its a back massager! Back row is still usable it just lives in the garage now.

I hope this is of help to someone.
          Last edited by Ksrb; 17-04-17, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• thomson_1
            • Mar 2010
            • South Australia

Is that an exceed? Is the factory "rockford fosgate" system that bad is it or are you right into your music?

Comment

• vladguan
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by thomson_1 View Post
              Is that an exceed? Is the factory "rockford fosgate" system that bad is it or are you right into your music?
              Don't think so. Rockford ones have an amp and subwoofer already as well as tweeters on rear doors and woofers on the back door. The fact OP is using a lineout converter means he is converting amplified audio from the MMCS back to preamp for his two aftermarket amps.
              Please call me Vlad.
              -----------------------
              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Ksrb
                • Dec 2015
                • Queensland

Mines a GLS no Rockford

Comment

• 6mdx
                  • Apr 2010

So if one just wants to change the head unit, its pretty simple plug n play?
                  I have a brand new 7" android double din with gps bluetooth etc, with a 2 din facia trim, should get rid of a few mmc anoyence?

Sent from my SM-T705Y using Tapatalk
                  85 NB TD the "Grey Girl," still going strong but resting in the shed @370000km
                  95 NJ TD the "Blue Boy" 555,000kms, raring to go! 2.5" straight thru exhaust, water methanol injection,TO4-15 Shinagawa "50% more torque" turbo
                  2016 NX, no DPF

Comment

• Amok
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by 6mdx View Post
                    So if one just wants to change the head unit, its pretty simple plug n play?
                    I have a brand new 7" android double din with gps bluetooth etc, with a 2 din facia trim, should get rid of a few mmc anoyence?

You’ll need a wiring harness to get your steering wheel controls to work the stereo.
                    MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• 6mdx
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Amok View Post
                      You’ll need a wiring harness to get your steering wheel controls to work the stereo.
                      Thanks Amok, i noticed in the booklet with the head unit it has provision to use the paddles.

I have seen Jaycar have little plug/ lead blocks for that sort of thing.
                      Maybe it will all work out.

The HU also has two video camera inputs which will be handy for the back of van, in addition to normal reverse camera.

Cheers Robert

85 NB TD the "Grey Girl," still going strong but resting in the shed @370000km
                      95 NJ TD the "Blue Boy" 555,000kms, raring to go! 2.5" straight thru exhaust, water methanol injection,TO4-15 Shinagawa "50% more torque" turbo
                      2016 NX, no DPF

Comment

• Ksrb
                        • Dec 2015
                        • Queensland

Replacing the stock head unit would be doable but it would be a bitch to interface with things like reverse camera, sensors, dab/GPS antenna etc and a paino black facia that fits

Comment

• Jimred07
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ksrb View Post
                          Replacing the stock head unit would be doable but it would be a bitch to interface with things like reverse camera, sensors, dab/GPS antenna etc and a paino black facia that fits
                          which is a shame as the stock head unit sucks.

I have replaced my fronts and the H/U doesnt have enough power to drive them. will need to amp the front speakers with a slim line amp as there is little room under the passenger seat.

Comment

• Amok
                            • Dec 2016
                            • Sydney

Ive had a Pioneer head unit put in m car. It was done by a pro but they said it was easy but had to buy the correct wiring harness for the steering wheel controls. They got a black frame that fits perfectly around the unit so it looks stock.
                            Reverse camera and everything works well
                            MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• nx2016
                              • Mar 2017
                              • Bendigo

This is very good. I want to do the same as you did. Do you still have any information on the exact components you used i.e. the speakers and the amplifier? I have tried to find the one you used on the internet to no avail.

You are right about the quality of the sound. I can not use AM as the sound quality is really poor. I bought the pajero glx at a cheap price so expected to have to change a few things.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X