• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETERPJERO1
    • Nov 2014
    • arno bay

Crack in body under spare

Have found a crack in tailgate body under spare. I dont know about the first two owners but I havent done any really bad roads. Im well out of any warranty now. Have a spare wheel lift kit fitted. Crack in LH lower area. Any thoughts please.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_181511.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	996254 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_181526.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	996255
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Stress fractures

Previous owner/s were not as kind to vehicle as you.

Monitor and fix if cracks get worse.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• RoyHarvey
      • Mar 2008
      • Adelaide

To monitor sounds like a reasonable option particularly now that you have a photo to compare at next check.

If it were mine I would want to remove the internal trim and see if there is a bracing panel or bracket adjacent to the crack, or possibly some way of adding support to reduce the stress in that area.
      2016 NX Pajero GLX
      Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

maybe some tape or small marks with a marker to be able to see where the ends of the crack are at the moment.
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

The crack you can see on the outside of the paint will be slightly shorter than the actual crack. Also the longer the crack is left like it is the more it will grow.
          Best to remove the rear door trim and have a look to see if there is something causing the issue. Then find the end of the crack on the inside of the door and drill a 3mm diameter hole so the edge of the hole just touches the end of the crack. Then with a 4mm drill carefully enlarge the hole from the outside. Deburr both sides and touch the paint up. This will stop the cracking from growing longer.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            The crack you can see on the outside of the paint will be slightly shorter than the actual crack. Also the longer the crack is left like it is the more it will grow.
            Best to remove the rear door trim and have a look to see if there is something causing the issue. Then find the end of the crack on the inside of the door and drill a 3mm diameter hole so the edge of the hole just touches the end of the crack. Then with a 4mm drill carefully enlarge the hole from the outside. Deburr both sides and touch the paint up. This will stop the cracking from growing longer.

OJ.
            That's what I was going to suggest but I'd then seal the holes with a blob of silicone to minimise dust/moisture entry.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
              That's what I was going to suggest but I'd then seal the holes with a blob of silicone to minimise dust/moisture entry.
              Foil tape on the back to weather proof is better as the silicon can be absorbed into the surround paint work that then can cause issues when painting the repair later on. Alternatively there are non silicone sealants that are acrylic polymers (Selleys All Clear) that work just as well as silicones that are silicone free.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Drilling holes and silicone isn't going to fix a crack in sheet metal long term.

This is not something that I recall seeing or knowing of as a Pajero problem so I'd be investigating the actual cause. First on my list of suspects would be the spare wheel lift which I suspect may change the way loadings from the weight of the spare are distributed around the door. By lifting the attachment point of the spare it seems very likely that increased stresses are going to be created opposite, i.e. down low on the door.

I'd be getting it fixed properly, welding the crack and repainting but I'd also be looking at ways to better distribute the stresses - on the basis that it may just come back.
                Chris

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Drilling the ends of the crack will stop them from getting longer. Also this is a good practice prior to doing a weld repair on thin metal.

OJ.

Comment

• PETERPJERO1
                    • Nov 2014
                    • arno bay

re Crack in body under spare

Holes drilled, crack now rust treated and sikaflex appied. Crack is unsuitable to tape because of shape of area. I will inspect it later. Yesterday I found more evidence of vehicle being in an accident which may be the cause. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Comment

• starjunk
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by PETERPJERO1 View Post
                      Holes drilled, crack now rust treated and sikaflex appied. Crack is unsuitable to tape because of shape of area. I will inspect it later. Yesterday I found more evidence of vehicle being in an accident which may be the cause. Thanks for the help much appreciated.
                      Bummer. I hate when sellers don't disclose full history. Most people are just too greedy to do so. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong... Every time I sell a car, I feel ripped off.
                      '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                      '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                      '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                      '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X