• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claudiano
    • Apr 2011
    • Sao Jose dos Campos - Brazil

Sugestions for shock absorbers replacement

Hello,

The time has come to plan the replacement of my Pajero?s shock absorbers. The car is now wth 79.000 KM and I plan to replace the absorbers when the car reaches 90.000 Km.

I looked around and found a lot of different shock absorbers makers and models that apparently can be used with my Pajero including top liners such as Rancho 9000 series and others.

My Pajero is a 2.8 TD, GLX, 1995. It has leaf springs on the rear and no electronic adjustable suspension.

My use is 99% city / asphalt roads!

Notice that the stock absorbers installed on my Pajero make my ride kind of bumpy sometimes (=not very comfortable). My wife and my butt would like to improve that!

Questions:

1) What would be a good choice (maker and model) for replacing my Pajero?s shock absorbers?

2) Would there be any real gain installing Rancho?s 9000 series in my Pajero (considering my use)?

3) Any extra tips and/or precautions?

Regards,
    Claudiano / Brazil

------------------------------------------------
    Claudiano - All the way from Brazil
  • 03gallagherj
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • South Coast NSW Batemans Bay

Alot of people use tough dogs but for your everyday use that you'd be using it for probably not the best choice bit of overkill for driving through the city really.
    Same with rancho's I'd say Maybe give some Monroe shocks a look at?
    Currently:
    1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
    Coming:
    Storage Drawers, 33" BFG KM2's

Comment

• krisls
      • May 2010

similar situation

I am in a similar space and money is also a factor. Were I doing more offroad stuff I would go a full OME or something similar to get a fully balanced setup. But I don't want to lift or get heavy duty so..

I put KYB's on and they're cool, Monroe were the other obvious option. Bought through Auto one, relatively inexpensive and I did them myself in the garage in an afternoon. Springs are I think still original. Ideally I would have done them too, but.... Anyway so far so good, they're better than what was there. Took about a week to smooth out though.

Kristina
      '92 NH Auto GLX 3.0 V6 LWB Alloy bar, side steps, Very Red

Comment

• Patagonia
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Claudiano, Ranchos are not the best shocks but not bad also, specially for your type of use. The improvement you can have with them is to soften your city driving a lot and when you go to high speed driving in highways you set them harder and then you gain a lot of control and prevent the Pajero to rock to much in turns.

Others will be stiffer for city driving, think Koni Raids are also adjustable but for it you need to go underneath the car and adjust one by one.

What brands can you get there?

regards
        2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
        Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
        31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
        2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• mr moose
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2011
          • vic, mornington peninsula

I don't believe the hype about shocks, A lot of people swear by the KYB (oem for Paj) but every shock is different and you might like one but not the other, you could easily spend big $$$ and not like what you get. I reckon get what you can afford, if you don't like it then get a different brand next time. It just maybe that the cheaper ones are just perfect for your car and Bum.

My 2c
          96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
          Look at me

Comment

• sprintman
            Valued Member
            • May 2010

Koni or Bilstein

Comment

• Claudiano
              • Apr 2011

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Mr Patagonia, since I am planning ahead, I will buy the shock absorbers from Ebay or any other online store. That said, I can get any model/maker that I conclude will indeed improve my ride

Claudiano

Comment

• Tipper
                • Dec 2010
                • Perth WA

Leaf springs on a 95 Paj, thats a new one on me, can anyone enlighten me

Comment

• Claudiano
                  • Apr 2011

Hi Tipper.

I think that I have figured it out by myself.
                  According to a 4x4 Brazilian forum, the 2sd generation Pajero was only launched in Brazil in the Year 2000.
                  In other words, my Pajero apparently is a kind of oficial Mitsubish Franskstein. It has a 1sd generation body (including leaf springs), with a 4M40 turbo-engine (and likely a number of other itens from the 2sd generation).

Does it make any sense?

Last edited by Claudiano; 07-10-11, 04:18 AM. Reason: New insight!!!

Comment

• Patagonia
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Its a 2nd Generation, they sold them with leaf springs in many markets...what?s strange to me is the 4M40 fitted to a 95, maybe the first ones??

Here?s for example the OME Catalog for the leaf spring 2nd generation:
                    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• MrSteel
                      • Aug 2011
                      • Cobbitty NSW

Whilst slightly off-tangent: I've a 94 NJ 4m40 PAtagonia, i would think the leafs were more of a GLX variant? Or Claudios ride is indeed Franken-Paj.

And if people are changing suspension at 90 odd thousand, im probably well overdue. I'm half inclined to believe that the unforgiving ride is partly due to wound up t/bars? Would that be correct. I kinda dont care so much adjustability or heaps heavy duty details as similiarly for me - 95% of my drivings on the blacktop. So then people would say Koni, Monroe or KYB or Bilsteins are the ones to be looking at?

Cheers
                      Nick

1994 NJ GLS 2.8 Turbo Diesel Paj : Bull bar, 31 Maxxis Bravos, Airtec Snorkel, AISIN free wheel hubs and 2 patches of peeling clearcoat

Love that car!

Comment

• Claudiano
                        • Apr 2011

Just for reference, the id plate in my Pajero says that its model is V36WNHL.

Acc to the Mit parts catalogue, the PartNumber for the stock shocks are MB242815 (rear) and MB892584 (front).

Does any one has an idea of what bilstein PartNumber I could use, in the case?

Claudiano

Comment

• Claudiano
                          • Apr 2011

How difficult it is to find the right Bilstein PN for my PAJERO!

Bellow is what I found in the USA market.

Front 24-017947 (B46-1794) Bilstein
                          Rear 24-013338 (B46-1333) Bilstein

Of course they don´t have the Pajs over there.
                          Nevertheless, after a long web based research I found that the Montero that has more or less the same configuration to my V36W model would be the 2600/RR LEAF (model L042G), sold in the US market till 1989. (at the least the shocks original PNs are the same).

Am I in the right path?
                          Any other suggestions or tips?

Claudiano
                          Last edited by Claudiano; 22-11-11, 06:55 AM. Reason: Correcting the model of the absorbers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X