• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dug1
    • Jun 2011
    • Far South Coast NSW

ASX Experience

My first post! After getting some great ideas from the site, I thought it's time to give something back...

I bought an Aspire diesel last August and have travelled 21.5K klms since. I live on a dirt road in the Snowy Mountains NSW and travel each day to work in a ski resort. I have a Prado and needed a smaller capable and cheaper to run 4WD which could handle snow .

Small petrol 4WDs really struggle on the hills and the ASX really fitted the bill. My experience so far:
    • really good engine- heaps of torque and gearing is well matched
    • fuel use is 6.3l/100 going to work (uphill) and 4.7 going home (downhill)
    • trips to Sydney average about 5.9l/100 (real not off computer)
    • really good on highway- never have to change out of 6th ('cept for towns) and overtakes really well. Will even hold 6th all the way up the mountain if I want without labouring! Use 5th now as speed limit has reduced to winter limit- 80k
    • no problems at all once I sorted DPF- no faults but I struggle with the concept of having a toxic waste incinerator under the car which would blow more smoke than a worn out FC Holden! Very embarassing in a $40K car!
    • EGR taken care of and oil catch-can fitted
    • I am doing interim oil changes at 5K myself as 15K is too much of a stretch- particularly with the cold and dusty road
    • started it yesterday morning in -7C no problems
    • fitted one of Keith's override cables and iPod cable which work well. Sat Nav works fine and the sound system is pretty good
    • excellent drive system on snow and ice- mostly use 4WD Auto and only use locked on really slick stuff- much better than Subarus which I drive regularly
    • note different tyres fitted- Toyo CUVs really good on snow- stock ones garbage
    • suspension tends to crash over potholes- will be sorted down the track with springs and shocks
    • good brakes
    • good handling in the twisty bits
    • lights are not up to it- fitting driving lights later this week on Unibar- will see how much vibration I get on dirt as the mounting point is just flexy plastic. If too much, will look at ECB nudge bar
    All in all a pretty good experience and I am very happy..... so far!
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Looks like a good honest appraisal Dug. I didn't mind the ASX and thought it wasn't a bad package overall. What really impressed me was the 1.8 motor and the six speed box. A great combination.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Dug1
      • Jun 2011
      • Far South Coast NSW

Drove to work this morning on the back end of a blizzard. Road varied from deep snow to polished ice- it didn't put a foot wrong.

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

Good to read about.. My Wife may find 1 of these the ticket when she decides to get out of the VW Polo...

Gus.
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Dug1
          • Jun 2011
          • Far South Coast NSW

Gus,

I made the mistake of letting my wife drive it for 2 weeks and it took another 3 weeks to get it back.

Comment

• Gus
            Administrator
            • Mar 2008
            • Traralgon. Vic

not worried about that mate love my Paj..

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• capemanifold
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • QLD

Is it available with an auto ?.
              2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• Gus
                Administrator
                • Mar 2008
                • Traralgon. Vic

In Petrol yes, Diesel Auto on it's way.. from memory either late this year or early next..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Dug1
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Far South Coast NSW

I would have liked an auto (not CVT) but I have to say the manual is one of the easiest & best I have ever used and the torque of the engine means no (or very little) gear changing on trips for hills or overtaking. It will comfortably hold 6th on hills here in the mountains at highway speeds.

If I was in the city might be a bit different. Although on a few trips around Sydney I found it easy to use.

One interesting thing I found- creeping along in heavy traffic I didn't need to touch accelerator- it just kept idling and wouldn't stall.

Comment

• Dug1
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Far South Coast NSW

Now clocked up $30K. Still going very well and I am happy with the performance and comfort on trips. Time to air some gripes:

- premium paint- chips very easily leaving the light undercoat visible. Body shape means front of rear wheel arch looks like it has been sand blasted back to primer!
                    - Had front mudflaps fitted as an extra at purchase- what a joke- they only extend about an inch below sill.
                    - at first service, dealer washed it and there are very fine scratches like swirls all over
                    - drivers electric seat rocks back and forward about an inch- feels weird! Anyone else got electric seats in Paj etc that does the same?
                    - Mitsubishi really skimp in some areas eg a lot of exposed wiring where sheathing ends before connectors and they couldn't even fit a 50c piece of tube to coolant overflow
                    - I don't have much faith in local dealer for servicing
                    - suspension provides excellent handling on highway but still crashes over even small bumps- I drove an Outlander on my road a few times and I was very impressed.
                    - exhaust system has serious rust due to salt used on roads. I expect some rust but all my other vehicles' systems have survived much better by a factor of about 10! For example, my prado's factory system is still original after 12 years- the last 5 on the same salted roads!

Shudder to think what it would cost to replace the ASX's system!

In summary, I know they don't market the ASX as a full on 4WD but it is a reasonable expectation that it should handle maintained dirt roads without all the thumps and paint getting destroyed- after all, it is sold with lockable 4WD.

It's a shame a potentially great vehicle is spoilt to some extent by skimping.

Comment

• Simone
                      • May 2011
                      • Adelaide

Hi Dug1, thanks for all your feedback on your ASX experience. Great to hear that you're enjoying most aspects of the car, and as for the gripes, I'd like to put you in touch with our Customer Advocacy Group to discuss them if you'd like to.

PM sent.

Cheers

Luke
                      Mitsubishi Motors Community Manager
                      I'm the Community Manager for Mitsubishi Motors Australia - the one who posts on Facebook, YouTube, blogs and forums!

Join our Facebook community: www.facebook.com/MitsubishiMotorsAustralia
                      Check us out on YouTube: www.youtube.com/MitsubishiMotorsAu
                      Or visit our official website: www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by LukeF View Post
                        Hi Dug1, thanks for all your feedback on your ASX experience. Great to hear that you're enjoying most aspects of the car, and as for the gripes, I'd like to put you in touch with our Customer Advocacy Group to discuss them if you'd like to.

PM sent.

Cheers

Luke
                        Mitsubishi Motors Community Manager
                        Great stuff Luke...

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Dug1
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Far South Coast NSW

I had a call from the Customer Advocacy Group. Just a 'Talk Fest" as I predicted.

They listened to my issues then said thank you very much for the feedback and hung up. Note I was very friendly and happy to provide the feedback.

End result- my paint is still getting sand blasted in front of the rear wheel arch and my supension still crashes over bumps.

Obviously MMA think this is acceptable on a $40K+ vehicle with 4WD that was obviously not desigend to be driven on maintained gravel roads.

Really spoils what is otherwise a good car for the sake of $2 worth of plastic stone chip protection just likeevery Subaru and some basic suspension tuning ( note it thumps and bangs on sealed roads as well).

Comment

• Merts
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Dug1 View Post
                            - drivers electric seat rocks back and forward about an inch- feels weird! Anyone else got electric seats in Paj etc that does the same?
                            The electric drivers seat in my VRX doesn't move at all. (Apart from when I use the controls to move it of course )
                            Merts
                            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Dug1
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Far South Coast NSW

Thanks Merts. Next time I'm near a dealer I'll check another ASX to see if it's the same a mine.

I had actually almost forgotten about it- probably because it rocks me to sleep.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X