• Show
Clear All
  • Paj People 2009
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Pics of Safety Dave Reversing Camera for Caravan

HI Guys,

Here a some photos, as promised, of the Safety Dave Rear View Camera set up in our Paj and caravan.

They are a bit rough, please excuse that! Just connected up the van for the shots, and wasn't actually using the set up, but will post some of the screen in action soon.

Cheers,
    Sally

PS the Paj is now sparkling again! Please excuse these dirty shots!!

Last edited by Paj People 2009; 22-02-11, 09:43 AM.
    SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575
  • Cams
    • Sep 2010
    • Melbourne

Hi Sally,
    Looking good there.
    Some questions if I may.
    You say it is a reversing camera, it's not a rear view camera when going forwards?
    Does the screen interfere with forward vision?
    How much did it cost? Did you install yourself, easy?

Very keen to know as I have been considering a rear view camera on our van.

Cheers
    Cams
    2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
    Open Country AT2's
    Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• Paj People 2009
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

HI Cams,

Oh I'm such a dummy!

Yes it is a rear view camera on all the time. Even has sound if you want it. Very good for seeing what's behind you beofre you overtake. Really makes a difference towing a van.

Doesn't interfere at all with forward vision. We keep it on the right of the windscreen.

Cost was $350 at the Bne Van Show last year. Screen is HD.

We got our van installer to do it, took him about 1 hour. The wires are all installed under the car and in the van chassis neatly. We couldn't have done it as good. Cost was about $150 from memory.

Very happy with it. The other good system is Polaris. Pretty similar, I think. Not sure of cost. Hit them at the van shows. They do a better deal there.

Cheers,
      Sally

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

Comment

• Cams
        • Sep 2010
        • Melbourne

Thanks Sally. The cost isn't much more than a good set of miirors and much more usable.
        Cheers
        Colin
        2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
        Open Country AT2's
        Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• achjimmy
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009
          • Blue Mtns

Hi Sally

Resurrecting this from the past. Do you recall what angle your camera is? Does it see accurately behind van for backing aswell as behind whole driving?
          Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
          MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
          99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Jim,

The camera has a wide angle view...you can set it however you wish, but we have ours behind quite a distance for traffic, and fairly centred, perhaps slightly to the left. Seems to be the best field of vision for travellling on the road.

Can see fine for backing as well - right up to about 1 metre. It is not on the bullbar or anything, but enables you to get pretty close to a wall safely! You could have it closer down at the back, but we prefer to get a long view of what's coming behind us. Hope these terms make sense!

Have you got one yet?

Cheers,
            Sally

Comment

• Glennie
              • Oct 2011
              • Wodonga Victoria

Good job Sally,
              I did the same except I used the clip on screen that goes over the rear view mirror. I felt was a little bit more unobtrusive. It would have had to share the dashboard with the Hema navigator at times. it I bought it from Safety Dave direct for about the same money. When the Van is not connected, I have a Velcro cable tie that goes around the connector and secures it to the other Anderson plug and caravan light cables to keep it from waving around in the breeze. That is the only part I am not keen on. I would rather have put a connector fixed to the car body haven't had time to sort it out yet.

I decided not to do the Mod to the MMCS as I wanted to keep it completely separate from the MMCS
              NT 30th Anniversary D.I.D. Delivered 21st October 2011. Factory steel bull-bar, rear diff lock, Privacy glass on front windows, factory tow bar, Tekosha Prodigy electric brake controller, Safari snorkel and BFG A/T2s. 120AH Dual battery in rear well with Redarc BCDC 1220 battery controller, rear fridge sockets and Anderson plug. Provent Catch can, SPV EGR module, 58 litre LRA Auxiliary fuel tank, fitted at 40K. TJM Suspension Lift Towing Track Trailer Topaz 4 metre Cvan.

Comment

• achjimmy
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Blue Mtns

Thanks Glennie

The clip over mirror sounds like the go. i have already ran wires there when i did my headlining. Does it remove easily? I have the electro chromatic mirror and dont want it on there when not towing.

Interesting you mention the Hema on the dash. i have always stayed away from puting things on the window/dash as i could forsee a day when they would ban vision obstructing devices on the dash (calafornia did)! I heard the RACV or whoever in QLD are calling for exactly that?

re joining to the van, Polaris do a really neat curly cord buts its expensive and adds another joint. i did see a thread somewhere once where they modified a old 5 pin round car mount trailer plug to take the video lead.
                Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Smokeydk
                  • Feb 2012
                  • South Australia

My mate has a clip on mirror type and had so much trouble......

firstly it was huge.in width...and the screen part was in middle bit....making it hard to see..wasnt full width

secondly...it was heavy and kept dropping the origional mirror down.....so you couldnt see anything

he ended up putting down by consol...and only using it to see while reversing.........even though it was on all the time

Dave
                  2005 NP Pajero - Turbo Diesel DiD Auto- SmartBar, Rhino Roof Racks, full length Cargo barrier, ARB Awning, Bridgestone D697s tyres, ARB SideSteps
                  Old Man Emu Coils & Nitrocharger sport shockers 40mm lift from ARB, PP Weather-shields front windows, custom built 3" exhaust system

Comment

• Glennie
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Wodonga Victoria

G'day Jim & Dave,
                    The Clip-on works well, but as you have said Dave it is quite large for the picture that you view. I find it attaches and detaches with a little effort. It is certainly not going to fall off. I have had no problems with the weight of it making the original mirror droop. I take it off when not towing as the reflection provided by the mirror part of the screen is definitely not as good as the dipping Mitsubishi mirror. All sort of tinted and dull.
                    Regards,
                    Glennie
                    NT 30th Anniversary D.I.D. Delivered 21st October 2011. Factory steel bull-bar, rear diff lock, Privacy glass on front windows, factory tow bar, Tekosha Prodigy electric brake controller, Safari snorkel and BFG A/T2s. 120AH Dual battery in rear well with Redarc BCDC 1220 battery controller, rear fridge sockets and Anderson plug. Provent Catch can, SPV EGR module, 58 litre LRA Auxiliary fuel tank, fitted at 40K. TJM Suspension Lift Towing Track Trailer Topaz 4 metre Cvan.

Comment

• Anny
                      • Apr 2016
                      • USA

rear view camera system

Originally posted by Paj People 2009 View Post
                      HI Guys,

Here a some photos, as promised, of the Safety Dave Rear View Camera set up in our Paj and caravan.

They are a bit rough, please excuse that! Just connected up the van for the shots, and wasn't actually using the set up, but will post some of the screen in action soon.

Cheers,
                      Sally

PS the Paj is now sparkling again! Please excuse these dirty shots!!

the pictures are pretty cool .I also want to install a rear view camera system for my caravan ,but I don't like dome camera .I want to add heavy duty rear view camera and a 7 inch monitor. I searched and a supplier looks good ,price is acceptable ,but shipping cost to Australia by DHL is very expensive . how can I do now ? anyone has suggestion ? I contacted this supplier ,

Comment

• The Commodore
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Macarthur Region NSW.

Anny, why not ring Safety Dave?
                        I've bought setups and individual pieces from him and he will supply what you want at very competitive prices.
                        He is very obliging and if queried on price he will move there a bit also.
                        From what I've seen the difference in the dome and square camera is the viewing angle (they're my words).
                        I'm now using the square camera but its sharp edges will rub holes in the caravan cover, if you use one whereas the round one doesn't have the sharp edges.
                        The trade off is which one you prefer either the wider angle or longer view, Safety Dave will help you with that decision.

I've just checked Safety Daves Website and evidently he has now dropped the wide angle lens.
                        So then it's just up to rubbing the hole in the cover problem and I have put a patch on the underside of the cover so the camera rubs on that now.
                        It's not an insurmountable problem, just an aggravation.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by The Commodore; 21-04-16, 02:32 PM.
                        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• Yugi
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mount Martha

Camera Bracket help

Hello Commodore - wondering where you got the adjusting bracket the camera is sitting on in your picture. Is it part of the camera package or an add on from somewhere else?
                          I'm getting one of these cameras installed and want to keep the windscreen clear. Suppose the cabling to connect the camera is running through the air vent behind it?
                          Any help would be great.

Cheers - Yugi
                          2013 NW GLXR: Bushskinz all round, Rasllar Rear Bar, Tradesman RR with Drifta Rapid Wing Awning, BB & winch, snorkel, HPD FMIC, & other bits and pieces.

Comment

• roboz
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Secret Harbour, WA

Rear view camera socket

I used an insulated electrical conduit clamp to attach the camera cable socket to the underside panel near the other connectors. Works a treat - much easier to attach the cable when hooking up. Pic attached.
                            Attached Files
                            Rob

2011 RX, Redarc Smartstart, dual batteries, Tow-Pro Elite, Garmin Nuvi 3590, Safety Dave caravan rear camera, HID high beam upgrade, Viofo A119 dashcam. Icom IC-450 UHF. Firestone HD Airbags. Tows a 2015 Jurgens Sungazer.

Previously, 2005 NP DiD Platinum, similar mods/additions, towed a 20' Paramount semi offroad caravan or Pioneer Longreach camper trailer.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3stBBS
                            Dashcam Viewer example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIrjZTVdqM

Comment

• Yugi
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Mount Martha

Hello Roboz - not sure if you were answering my question but I was querying how Commodore had attached the camera view screen inside the car. It looks as though he's fixed it to the driver's upper right air vent area. I like the spot as it's not on the winscreen.

Like your external connector idea anyway
                              2013 NW GLXR: Bushskinz all round, Rasllar Rear Bar, Tradesman RR with Drifta Rapid Wing Awning, BB & winch, snorkel, HPD FMIC, & other bits and pieces.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X