• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

I'm having trouble visualising the bolt just screwing into the block to act as a pivot for the tensioner arm.
    Does the bolt just bottom out in the threaded hole without the head pressing against anything ?
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

Its not a full thread headed bolt as such its a pivot bolt. The thread steps up to non thread shaft i.e. when bolted to block the step up locates the washer against the block. The cast tensioner then pivots around the non threaded section of bolt i.e. the non threaded section of bolt is a 1mm longer than the width of the cast tensioner to allow it to pivot.

Google pivot bolt

Better still google triton/challenger timing kits and you should get a tensioner arm pic with bolt

Sorry im not very computer savvy to do a link
      Last edited by BMN; 24-03-17, 08:40 PM.
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

Thanks BMN. A good explanation.

So my earlier question about the washer in the picture remains:
        Should the washer be sitting flat on the shoulder of the pivot bolt and thence flat against the face of the tensioner arm ?
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• BMN
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2010
          • Perth WA

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
          Thanks BMN. A good explanation.

So my earlier question about the washer in the picture remains:
          Should the washer be sitting flat on the shoulder of the pivot bolt and thence flat against the face of the tensioner arm ?
          Yes, but as its come loose there's probably remains of timing belt thread stuck in an around etc and could be bent from the trauma. That thread has been seeing daylight for a few ks, so washer has been floating around.
          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• coughy
            Valued Member
            • May 2014
            • Redlands Brisbane QLD

Originally posted by BMN View Post
            Its not a full thread headed bolt as such its a pivot bolt. The thread steps up to non thread shaft i.e. when bolted to block the step up locates the washer against the block. The cast tensioner then pivots around the non threaded section of bolt i.e. the non threaded section of bolt is a 1mm longer than the width of the cast tensioner to allow it to pivot.

Google pivot bolt

Better still google triton/challenger timing kits and you should get a tensioner arm pic with bolt

Sorry im not very computer savvy to do a link
            For BMW lol

New Dayco Mitsubishi Triton and Challenger 2.5 litre 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel Timing Belt Kit, including hydraulic tensioner, for 4D56 engine

and the bolt in question the tensioner is the one on the right side with bolt in it

this isnt a challenger one but you get the idea
            Moose Racing has dedicated itself by providing the rider and racer with the highest quality and best performing products. With thousands of items from racewear to casual apparel, to boots and the finest in hard parts and accessories, Moose Racing offers the most comprehensive list of products in the industry to satisfy all of your riding needs. Replacement Moose plow blade pivot bolt. Sold individually. Made in the U.S.A.

here is a guy doing it thread
            look about half way down
            Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

10th picky down is the tensioner and bolt in question bolt is on the left side of picky
            My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
            New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• coughy
              Valued Member
              • May 2014
              • Redlands Brisbane QLD

hay just a thought while we are on this
              i cant remember if you can or cant
              but can u ajust the oil pump belt with the covers on??
              been a long time since i was in there and cant remember??
              how often do you need to check it?? oil pump tension on belt??
              My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
              New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• KevL
                • May 2015
                • Murphys Creek

Oh no

That photo is showing the normal bolt end that screws into the block. That's the block side of the tensioner. There's nothing wrong with it.
                The head is on the other side, in the palm of his hand.
                I'm not seeing anything broken.
                If that's how it was then the pivot has simply unscrewed. However, if this was the case, the thread in the block would have extensive damage.
                OR, Have I gone blind and mad? It's possible.

Check out the tensioner in the pic of the kit posted above and compare to he op's picture

New Dayco Mitsubishi Triton and Challenger 2.5 litre 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel Timing Belt Kit, including hydraulic tensioner, for 4D56 engine

Kev
                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• BMN
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Perth WA

Kev, OP said above that only about 4-5 mm of bolt was extracted from block, so surely it had to undo. It probably could not undo anymore and that final 4mm left in the block sheared.

Thanks for the links coughy

Comment

• KevL
                    • May 2015
                    • Murphys Creek

Originally posted by BanjoPato View Post
                    Not sure how clear the pic is,off there computer. Bolt has gone away to mma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The text says the head is snapped off.
                    The head is on the other end.
                    From what you're suggesting only the last few mm of thread broke?

I reckon nothing broke, it's come undone.

Comment

• BMN
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Perth WA

Originally posted by KevL View Post
                      I reckon nothing broke, it's come undone.

Dunnno mate, Don (BanjoPato) was told by service tech 4mm of bolt was tapped out (post 41) have no reason to doubt this. Regardless the bolt coming loose appears to be the reason for the failure.

Comment

• Ent
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Tasmania

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                        Dunnno mate, Don (BanjoPato) was told by service tech 4mm of bolt was tapped out (post 41) have no reason to doubt this. Regardless the bolt coming loose appears to be the reason for the failure.
                        Lose versus broken is two rather different things to an engineer, but as an end user the result is the same. One is likely poor workmanship while the other is poor design.
                        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• BanjoPato
                          • Jun 2015
                          • north Coast

Trucks back & all fixed ������
                          Scored a inlet manifold clean even though it was not blocked,of course oil, filter & coolant.
                          Biggest positive is a new timing belt for free,as to the why❓❓❓❓it was a bus bolt.
                          Cheers

Don

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X