Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

200 Series Could Not Start - Owners read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

200 Series Could Not Start - Owners read this!

Had an interesting situation on a trip exploring the Murray earlier in the week. Left the paj at home and jumped in dads 200 series towing a pop up trailer. Long and short of the scenario was fell in some super sticky ruts while trying to go around a tree and had to winch the trailer sideways to avoid hitting the tree (luckily van setup for that scenario with extra recovery points). Was unable to reverse as there was another hole behind us that the trailer was in and reversing was just pitching the back of the trailer into the ground

Anyway, the issue came up after setting up the winch (multiple snatch blocks to get the winch line back to the side of the trailer). Jumped back in the car to stand on the brake pedal while winching and the bloody 200 series wouldn't start!

This car is a 2016 with the keyless push button start. The green light indicating key connection was fine, the trouble start option (holding the key to the button) did nothing. Just flashed the green key light at us and beeped. User manual just says "contact Toyota dealer if still won't start."

After some thinking (and sweating, me it was hot and humid) we worked out what the issue was. The steering was loaded up with a lot of pressure as we were partially up on the walls of the ruts and basically the electronic actuator that unlocks the steering could not unlock it!

So TLDR of the story is, if your 200 series won't start waggle the steering wheel while pressing the button. Might just save your bacon on the tracks one day! Stupid new fangled tech.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Wow, well done figuring that one out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

x2. Amazed you worked that one out while under pressure on the track.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Full credits to my father, I reckon my only contribution to the solution was suggesting other ideas
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Yep. Another thing that stops them dead is a blown brake light fuse
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

You did well to figure that out.

Something like my experience trying to start a new hilux (manual). No response from the ignition key, no matter what I tried.

RTFM was a last resort, and turns out the clutch pedal has to be pushed through the firewall before the engine will crank over.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
              You did well to figure that out.

Something like my experience trying to start a new hilux (manual). No response from the ignition key, no matter what I tried.

RTFM was a last resort, and turns out the clutch pedal has to be pushed through the firewall before the engine will crank over.
              Kinda negates the advantage of having a manual 4x4 when stuck on a steep incline.
              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• TC.Barky
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                Kinda negates the advantage of having a manual 4x4 when stuck on a steep incline.
                Yeah wonder if that is overridden when you are in low range or something. Kinda dumb if you can't key start it to get moving on a steep hill

Comment

• Paj man
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • Perth

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                  Why's that?
                  1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

I had a similar problem with the late model Prado...it was an auto, but I had to have the footbrake engaged...even though the vehicle had the auto in Park and the hand brake on..
                    Go figure..

In respect to the 200 series not starting..do not get water into the interior, especially with vehicles with electric seats fitted in them.

This is a whole lot of hurt...

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
                      Why's that?
                      The Stall Recovery is explained in the link. Incidentally there is a question asking about, in this case a Colorado, the same issue of clutch required for start at the bottom of the page.

NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• dhula
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • South of Perth

I've not checked out a Colorado etc in person but I'd assume the 'clutch in to start engine' feature may be as simple as a micro switch on the pedal that interrupts the start signal n some way.
                        If so then it'd be a simple thing to disable by unplugging or bypassing so you could start it in gear.
                        Only thing you'd have to be carefull of is that any micro switch on the clutch might be also used for disconnecting cruise control.
                        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

It might be possible to bypass the clutch switch when low range is selected.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• mrbitchi
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
                            I had a similar problem with the late model Prado...it was an auto, but I had to have the footbrake engaged...even though the vehicle had the auto in Park and the hand brake on..
                            Go figure..
                            Yep. 200 series is like that too. Must have foot on brake pedal to start, hence the issue with the brake light fuse. If the ECU doesn't sense the brake lights are on it thinks you don't have your foot on the brake pedal and therefore wont start.
                            Cheers, John.
                            LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                            Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X