• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

High Country - Labour Day Weekend

Hi All,

Headed to the High Country for the Vic long weekend with a couple of mates and our sons. We were tagging along with another Paj and a Jackaroo. Headed straight to Licola from Melb Fri night – I was late leaving so met the others at camp. Arrived about 11pm up on Tamboritha Rd. Glad I found them – realised too late I had removed the SD card from my head unit with the Hema maps on it. They also couldn't get a spot at the agreed site so I was glad we had agreed on a UHF channel. A quick set up of the swag followed by a couple of beers by the fire and and some tuna mornay that had been saved for us. Fell asleep looking up at the stars with the swag open.

Camp in the morning - note how clean the Paj looks!

Sat morning headed into Licola and up Glencairn Rd, airing down at one of the junctions. From there we made our way onto Black Soil Gully track. This was a fun track – everything was very dry all weekend.

We then headed up MacAlister River track and turned onto Butcher Country track. This would be the most challenging track I’ve done. There were a few climbs that I was a little nervous about but got up with no issues – the traction control got quite a workout at times. Learnt a bit more about the capabilities of the Pajero and myself. We took a break for lunch along the track to allow the Jackaroo auto trans to cool down just before a nice ascent. Got to watch a few convoys go up and down which was entertaining. The top of Butcher Country was rutted, dry and dusty – the dust just lingered making it hard at times to see the ground in front even staying well behind. This is where I copped a decent hit that I think dented the intercooler guard. There were some fantastic views on the way up and a variety of terrain. We could see why this track has a reputation for being very boggy at the top.

Pajero Salute on Butcher Country

Video

Top of Butcher Country

Next we turned onto Howitt Rd and took a left onto Zeka Spur down into the Wonnangatta Valley to look for a campsite. It was very busy and we ended up pretty far along before we found a spot. Had a swim to wash off the dust, cooked up dinner and relaxed by the fire with a few beers. Had another great sleep followed by a lazy pack up Sun morning.

Wonnangatta River by campsite

Camp in the Wonnangatta Valley

Sunday continued along Wonnangatta Track, up Herne Spur Track, and onto Wombat/Cynthia Range Track. Herne Spur was a great drive, but did I mention the dust?!! Our plan was to take Eaglevale Track and climb Billy Goat but there were too many cars so we headed into Talbotville. It was getting pretty busy on Cynthia Range and there was lots of passing and waiting. We attached ourselves to another group as they had people further along advising of the traffic.

On the way into Talbotville

We left Talbotville north up Crooked River Track, turned around and did it the other way. It was my son’s favourite track and he wants to do it again when there is more water. I loved it too. Nothing too challenging but a lot of fun. Next time we'll do the south section. After finding a spot to camp we saw smoke and heard about the fire to the South – good move we didn’t head to Billy Goat earlier.

Smoke starting to come over the hills

We decided to move on just to be safe and camp near Dargo, finding a nice spot at Ollie’s Jump Up. The swimming hole was fantastic, 7 or 8 feet deep and we spent a bit of time cooling off in the river. Dinner and a few beers then off to bed after a snooze in the chair.

Future Pajero owner

Monday morning had a sleep in, packed up after breakfast and had another swim before heading to Dargo to air up and have a beer. It is only then that the reality of the drive back to Melbourne kicked in. Got home about 5.30 after stopping for lunch on the side of the road.

Collected a lot of dust - inside and out!

I took a few hits underneath on this trip (Butcher Country) and ended up with a dent in my intercooler guard. The sump and gearbox plates held up well. No real damage. I will have to look at replacing the intercooler guard with something stronger and am chasing a little more lift (I have realised my small lift has sagged).

I’m already feeling the need to get out there again!

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Looks like you did a few klms. Nice country out there. Many moons ago I worked for the Vic Forestry Commision, based in Bright, and travelled many miles through the alps and ranges. As you say, a lot of traffic now....spoils the trip a bit ...but thats progress. Simple camping is great as well. Quick setup and take down means more time to explore.

cheers
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Nice pics and thanks for the write up. We were up that way the weekend before the long break, staying in Dargo at the River inn and spent three days on Cynthia, Murdering Spur (with chainsaws !), Blue rag, Talbotville, Harrisons Cut and Collingwood spur. great driving and scenery and the Paj ate it all up.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Fair effort going up Butcher Country from the bottom end if you're still getting a feel for the car, top job!

EDIT: Consider getting Bushskinz for at least the intercooler plate if not the front two plates. They used to run 3mm (same as Boos) but went to 4mm and they found a huge difference in strength.
        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Axis
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Highett Vic

Dicko, my first high country trip was last Oct. Including that one I have now done 4 trips up there and would love to get back in the school holidays in a couple of weeks. I have been camping 5 out of the last 6 months so am trying to do 1 trip a month. I actually genuinely enjoy driving so don't mind doing some kms, especially if it gets you to such an amazing location. I grew up doing a lot of long drives with my parents and they live 7 hours away so my kids grew up with long drives as well. I also bought my first swag in Oct and its getting a workout! It's become a bit of a thing to get out with my 10 yo son as well, although he likes the camping and river crossings best.

Ian, so much more to see. Wish I had got into this a long time ago. Blue Rag is one I must do. Would love to hear about Murdering Spur - saw this on the map!

TC, thanks. We have had the Paj for a number of years now but were more touring. I am trying to do more 4wding now as well. It is great going with these 2 guys as they have been 4wding far longer than me and have taught me heaps, and given me a lot more confidence in both the Paj and my driving. Funny about the intercooler guard, I have been in touch with Kieron and he is organising one for me! Will be interesting to see if the airflow to the IC is any better with the Bushskinz. Kinda excited about getting the gecko as I think they look pretty cool too.

Not sure what pressures others use but I ended up on 18psi for this trip. Was on 20 but dropped after a couple of steeper sections. Felt better at 18. The MT51s have pretty stiff sidewalls.

Cheers,
          James
          07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Vix2010
            • Jan 2015
            • Wamboin NSW

jealous
            NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍
            (Everything happens for a reason)

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Axis View Post
              Blue Rag is one I must do. Would love to hear about Murdering Spur - saw this on the map!s
              A very interesting track to say the least ! The guy who were leading are very experienced and said it was easily double black. Steep and rocky in parts, slippery after overnight rain, a few creek crossings but none were major issues. Somewhat overgrown also so we picked up some pin stripes.

But a great track to drive as long as you are with others.

A run down on our three days is here (inc some Murdering Spur and Blue rag) (8 mins)

Last edited by Ian H; 21-03-17, 09:45 PM.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

This is where the Pajero Club was camping on the Australia Day Long Weekend. Must be something to do with the vehicle.

Nice write-up - thanks for posting.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Axis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Highett Vic

Ian, that link isn't working for me for some reason

NJ, Thanks. I enjoyed reading about your high country trip. We didn't end up staying in Talbotville due to the fire (which is still going).

Looking north from the campsite we could see a track that looked pretty steep and due to the dry conditions clouds of dust were being thrown up from the cars tackling it. Made it look very intense. I assume this was South Basalt? Might be a track for next time...

I am hoping to get back up there somewhere in the first week of April. Maybe Dargo so I can do Blue Rag.

Cheers,
                  James

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

Great write-up James. I was also in the high country that weekend with a few blokes from the Bendigo 4WD club. We did a little under 200km over Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. We were in the area around Mnt Buller, and had a great time too.

None of the tracks we tackled were particularly difficult, but sections of Wild Horse Gap trk were fairly steep and rocky, and bits of the staircase were rough and rocky, and therefore slow going.
                    Attached Files
                    Merts
                    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Ian, that link isn't working for me for some reason
                      I had it set to unlisted and have changed it to public so it should work now.

Comment

• Axis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Highett Vic

Merts, I was up that way in Dec but didn't get to wild horse and staircase. Also missed out on Bluff Hut and Bindaree Falls. Looks like to went across Mt Stirling via Howqua Gap and Clear hills - they were fun tracks and I had a couple of moments thinking I'd struggle going up some of the loose rocky bits of Clear Hills. Nice set up too.

Does the Hema device automatically do the track logging for you? I have Ozi for Android on my head unit and would love to get the same sort of map view showing where we went.

Ian, great vid - what software do you use? Loved the drone footage and had a bit of a chuckle at 5.50 mins! Hope nothing other than pride was hurt!

Next time out I will try to get more action shots!

Cheers,
                        James

Comment

• Merts
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Bendigo Vic

Yeah James. I'm using the Pro version of the Hema Navigator app. I put in the rough route at home and it downloads the detailed map tiles. Then when I'm on the tracks, I just hit the record button at the start of the day, and then again when I hit camp. It cycles through different colours for subsequent recordings so you can see each day's driving easily. I'm pretty happy with it.

Btw, I turned the higher detail maps off for that screenshot so it was clearer at that large scale. The detailed topo maps are much more detailed and are good when you are zoomed in to a smaller scale.
                          Last edited by Merts; 24-03-17, 11:59 AM. Reason: afterthought
                          Merts
                          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Ian H
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2015
                            • Melbourne

Ian, great vid - what software do you use? Loved the drone footage and had a bit of a chuckle at 5.50 mins! Hope nothing other than pride was hurt!
                            Thanks. I use a suit of editing programs called Movavi Video Suite 14. Pretty good and easy to use but the generic Windows Movie Maker also works well. It doesn't come bundled with windows any more but you can still download it.

Yeah, the fall was only lost pride and a bruised bum.

Comment

• Axis
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                              Thanks. I use a suit of editing programs called Movavi Video Suite 14. Pretty good and easy to use but the generic Windows Movie Maker also works well. It doesn't come bundled with windows any more but you can still download it.

Yeah, the fall was only lost pride and a bruised bum.
                              Cheers, I used to use iMovie but no longer on a mac. Will try movie maker initially and see how I go. Love the drone footage.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X