• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linc
    • Jan 2008
    • Perth

Jacking errm ... up

ding ding ding! round 1!

Who uses what, and why? Hilift? Exhaust?
    I don't have either at the moment, although had a fair bit to do with hilifts when working out bush a number of years ago. Never personally had a bad experience, but have heard a bit about them biting folks in bad ways.

The laughable OEM jack (05 NP) doesnt even get your frigging rear tyres off the ground, but I have another tray jack which does me ok for the odd 'carpark flat' (like the time I drove straight over a beer bottle at the local squash courts and tore a 15mm gash in my tyre...thanks for using the bin, mate!)
    Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
    Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
    Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

lol jacking off in the techniques section, this should raise a few eyebrows lol.

I have used the factory bottle jack a few times to change tyres, but lately I find that it takes alot longer to pump up and it never actually gets the tyres off the ground anymore, could be wear and tear? anyway i find myself driving around with a brick in the car just go get that ground clearance.

High lift is definitely out of the question because I dont have a bull bar (or anywhere to attach it to the rear) and its also unsafe to use when changing tyres (or so I am told).

Trolley jacks seem a little on the heavy side to cart around, but definitely an option for me.

Scissor jacks I cant see working at all with the pajero, and that leaves bottle jacks again, which as we know, doesnt really get the tyres off the ground (I havent even got bigger tyres on it!).

Might have a look at a trolley jack to cart around as its better than a brick

Cheers

Marc
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• jcd
      • Jan 2008
      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
      I have used the factory bottle jack a few times to change tyres, but lately I find that it takes alot longer to pump up and it never actually gets the tyres off the ground anymore, could be wear and tear? anyway i find myself driving around with a brick in the car just go get that ground clearance.
      A couple of months ago I had the opposite problem in that I couldn't get the genuine Mits bottle jack under the rear jacking point (SWB NS), as the jack was too high when the tyre was completely deflated. Luckily I was on a good firm dirt patch so I got the shovel out and made enough room under it to get the jack in place. I didn't really have a problem getting the jack up high enough to get the old tyre off or the new one on, although I am looking for something better to work the jack than the supplied tyre lever. Come to think of it, I'm looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts as it took quite a bit of effort (i.e. Me jumping on the lever a few times) with the supplied tyre lever.

Bye Jeff.
      NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

• marcthelegend
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Gosnells, WA

Originally posted by jcd View Post
        A couple of months ago I had the opposite problem in that I couldn't get the genuine Mits bottle jack under the rear jacking point (SWB NS), as the jack was too high when the tyre was completely deflated. Luckily I was on a good firm dirt patch so I got the shovel out and made enough room under it to get the jack in place. I didn't really have a problem getting the jack up high enough to get the old tyre off or the new one on, although I am looking for something better to work the jack than the supplied tyre lever. Come to think of it, I'm looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts as it took quite a bit of effort (i.e. Me jumping on the lever a few times) with the supplied tyre lever.

Bye Jeff.
        an awesome method is to use the bar for pumping the jack, and sliding it over the tyre wrench thingo, this acts as a breaker bar which will give you ALOT more power.

Cheers

Marc
        05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
        brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• dehydrated
          • Sep 2009
          • Rockhampton Qld

My recently purchased NM never came with a factory jack or handle (or toolkit), and I can't seem to find any. I would be interested to see what other alternatives people have adopted as I feel uncomfortable driving around with out a jack.
          2002 NM GLS V6 3.5 auto, ECB bar / side steps, BFG A/T's, IPF 900DII's, TJM Bash Plate, GME TX3440 UHF.

Comment

• Bernoulli
            • Jun 2007
            • Oregon, USA

Come to think of it, I'm looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts as it took quite a bit of effort (i.e. Me jumping on the lever a few times) with the supplied tyre lever.
            After watching the tire store guys having to destroy a frozen lug stud to get a rear tire off, I have made it a practice to always use never-seize on the studs and torquing the nuts minus 10%. Torque values are dry unless specified otherwise.

There are Hi-Lift attachments to get your vehicle up, but you'll need some sort of rest (bottle jack?) once it's up so the tire can be removed - remember to break loose the lug nuts first.
            89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• Honky
              • Nov 2007
              • dubbo

Has anyone used the 12 volt scissor lifts sold in accessory shops.
              They state that they are good for 2t.
              reliability would be a major issue.

Honky

Comment

• kiwipajero
                • Aug 2009
                • South Island, NZ

Personally i havent used a high-lift jack at all! Never really got into a situation where I needed one...although I imagine there will be the day when I need one and I don't have one. LOL

When I got my Pajero the first thing I did was add a tool kit to replace the factory crap one. I also replaced the bottle jack with a heavier duty/larger/high quality one, and always carry 3 blocks of wood to achieve a solid base/extra height that is sometimes needed.

I also "never-seized" all my wheel studs to ensure I could always get the buggers off, and have a length of pipe in my tool kit to make loosening/tightening studs alot easier.

In my tool kit I have a couple of cans of tyre weld which is great stuff if you're caught without a spare and only have a small leak in your tyre.

Reckon its easier to be prepared and able to do a repair job quickly and efficiently than not at all! 90% of the time I'm driving in rural areas and the last thing I want to have to do is walk 50kms to wake up the nearest farmer!

Josh.
                2000 NM SWB Exceed, Leather heated seats - aahhhhhhh, DVD/Pioneer sound system, 16" Advanti alloys, 32 inch Kuhmo Mudders, Custom 6mm alloy sump/trans guards, Safari snorkel, Rage Exhaust System, Thule roof racks, ARB winch bar, 9000lb winch, 60mm lift kit......what next???????

"We'll keep our cowsh*t in the country...You keep your bullsh*t in the city"

Comment

• Rugrat
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by linc View Post
                  Who uses what, and why? Hilift? Exhaust?
                  I use a Hilift - yes they can be dangerous - but so are loaded guns .

MAJOR point when using a hi-lift - MAKE SURE ITS STABLE and vertical. Get it on an angle and you may just need that first-aid kit

Used correctly they are quick, easy and versatile. The camper didn't have a jack and the STD bottle jack, sissor jack wouldnt be to helpful. The Landies standard jack (windup highlift style) was a PITA and a POS so i bought a proper highlift. The Jeep and the Landie have bars and side steps to lift off so it works a treat.
                  "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

• THE BRONZE
                    • Jul 2009

trolley jacks

I work for a mining company and all our vehicles have trolley jacks, don't buy a cheap one and they will get to the right height (unless your a haulpak) It still amazes me though, you spend shit loads of coin on a new vehicle/4wd and what do you get...crap tools and a crap jack
                    89 NF Paj 3Lt V6 2" lift running on 32" TOYO Open Country A/T's, UHF, Hella 220 Jumbos, Bull Bar, Side Steps

Very soon to install...FRONT LOKKA & MANUAL HUBS....Booya!!
                    Soon to have 1 1/2" body lift, Custom Snorkle, Custom Rock Sliders
                    Wish to have Custom Bull Bar and Winch

Comment

• Fro
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Nundah, QLD

Originally posted by dehydrated View Post
                      My recently purchased NM never came with a factory jack or handle (or toolkit), and I can't seem to find any. I would be interested to see what other alternatives people have adopted as I feel uncomfortable driving around with out a jack.
                      I got my Pajero about 6 months ago and it didn't come with a jack but it did have a full tool kit and the handle for the jack. I keep a bottle jack in the car its fine for the front wheels but if I get a flat on the rear axle I'm screwed. The jacking point for the rear tyres is the axle and the jack I have doesn't have a groove in it (like the standard Mitsubishi jack).

Any suggestions?
                      2007 NS X, SWB, 3.2L Di-D, Automatic. Accessories: iCom UHF, Dual Battery System, Nudge Bar and an Engel for keeping the important stuff cold.

Comment

• linc
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Perth

Originally posted by THE BRONZE View Post
                        I work for a mining company and all our vehicles have trolley jacks, don't buy a cheap one and they will get to the right height (unless your a haulpak) It still amazes me though, you spend shit loads of coin on a new vehicle/4wd and what do you get...crap tools and a crap jack
                        Is that a recent switch over from hilifts?
                        I used to work out bush for a mining contractor and we ALWAYS used roo jacks, and the same company still uses them (I checked yesterday). Wondering if the actual mine sites, or specific companies, have switched away from them due to HSE issues, or if your company simply has always used trolleys for different reasons.
                        Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                        Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                        Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• rebelone607
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Urunga NSW

Bye Jeff.
                          Hi Jeff. If you are looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts then try one of those 12 volt rattle guns that you can get from places such as Repco. I have had one for about 5 years now and use it everytime I need to remove a wheel. Main reason I originally bought it was that the missus would easily be able to undo the wheel nuts if something happened to me and I could not do it - might not be an issue in urban areas but could be life or death stuff in the middle of the Simson. Also in hot weather virtually no manual exertion required - hey I can't help it, I have been a rescue officer for 29 years and have learnt to expect the unexpected and any situation you may imagine is not within the realms of possability, isn't that the reason we buy winches and all that other recovery gear that most of us will rarely ever use? but bet you we have all had to change a tyre or two.
                          Regards Merv
                          Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
                          Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good

Comment

• Rayw1
                            • Jan 2009
                            • Pine Rivers Queensland

Originally posted by THE BRONZE View Post
                            When I bought my NP I had an independant vehicle inspection and the guy told me straight up to throw the bottle jack away and buy a Super Cheap 1.4tonne trolley jack - raises to 343mm. Around $40 if I recall. He uses them and does vehicle inspections all day all over Brisbane. I've tried it out twice at home and it works fine.

Fortunately I don't need the rear seat and the storage well is a great tool box for jack and some hardwood blocks (stair tread offcuts) and a cross brace that fits both the Pajero and the caravan.

Ray.
                            2006 NP DiD auto -ARB bar, Warn winch, SCA driving lights, HD King coils.

Comment

• Leethal
                              • Jan 2009

Jacking up the rear wheels....

Mmmm, just read this and I've only ever had to jack up the front wheel and didn't have a problem.

Might have to go out and try one of the back wheels to see if I can get it off the ground with the bottle jack that came with the car (NM Paj.). Didn't realise there was an issue...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X