• 2freeq
    • Apr 2011
    • Wollongong

EGR blanking plate Vs EGR Off Module Vs Resistor Mod

Which is the better option for a 2008 NS 3.2L

EGR Blanking plate - $10 eBay
    EGR Off Module - $88 chip tuning
    Resistor Mod - $1 - Jaycar

With any of these do you still need a catch can?
    Currently Own
    - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!
    - 2006 NP 3.8L - Alloy bullbar, Spotlights, Ironman 2" lift, UHF, AT tyres

Previously Owned
    - 1992 NH 2.5L TD - Bullbar, Winch, Roof basket, UHF, AT tyres
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

EGR blanking plate Vs EGR Off Module Vs Resistor Mod

EGR module and resistor mod does the exact same thing.

These can both be reversed in less time than a blanking plate. The module can obviously be reversed in 2 minutes, the resistor a little longer.

EGR mod solves the problem of exhaust soot mixing with oily air, but I think the catch can still helps prevent oily coating in Intercooler etc so still of benefit in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
      EGR module and resistor mod does the exact same thing.

These can both be reversed in less time than a blanking plate. The module can obviously be reversed in 2 minutes, the resistor a little longer.

EGR mod solves the problem of exhaust soot mixing with oily air, but I think the catch can still helps prevent oily coating in Intercooler etc so still of benefit in that regard.
      This.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• carnut1100
        • Jun 2019
        • brisbane

As above, catch can is still worthwhile.

I found the resistor mod pushed fuel consumption up a bit, and altered the boost behaviour...I’m taking it back out.
        Coding the EGR off with a remap is the best solution...

Comment

• ironrock
          • Mar 2019
          • India

ohh i was about to do the resistor mod, but the above statement got me thinking, does the egr blanking really affect fuel economy ?

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

No discernable difference in performance or fuel economy that I can see or feel in my NX with the SPV mod (same the same as the resistor method). The benefit of clean air going in because the EGR is closed 100% of the time makes it a great mod. I've done just over 100k now and I'd be taking gunk out of a very chocked up inlet manifold if it wan't for that mod.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Markts58
              • Feb 2015
              • Granton Tas

Resistor Mod

Hi All
              After reading about this cheap modification (adding resistor to Black-Blue wire) I thought well why not try it?
              I went to jaycar and bought the 8 pack for 55c ( 4.7 ones) and did the solder job last week.
              Now i was very skeptical at this cheap mod but i thought well ill give it a go anyway... whats the worst that can happen.? If it does not work then ill just reverse it .
              On the weekend I went to our business which is 180K away from where we live and on the way there i did not really take any notice of fuel economy and upon arrival I had around 1/4 to 1/2 Tank of fuel.
              Today when leaving I filled up at our local Service station and set off.
              First thing i noticed was my range had shot up from 600 - 700 Ks to empty to 980 Ks ! Hmmm Interesting . During the return trip the fuel gauge hardly moved and upon arriving home I had 820 Ks range showing. The fuel guage was sitting between full and 3/4 . Coincidence? No ! Many other times i have done same journey it usually taken around 1/4 to 1/2 tank each way . And range usually shows around 500 Ks remaining.
              Whoever thought of this mod needs some recognition, Because to me this is nothing short of Phenomenal.
              Maybe My vehicle ( 2011 RX Diesel) is just a one off as far as this is concerned but its really amazing.
              I would like to hear if anyone else has had similar experience?
              I always regretted selling my 2003 NM diesel to buy a Grand cherokee (diesel) because it was such a reliable bloody fantastic car. The jeep was really good , Dont get me wrong but let down by reliability issues.
              So now I have gone back to another Paj which i purchased around 6 months ago and was a bit disappointed with the fuel economy compared to my old NM.
              Now i'm starting to smile again (ear to ear)
              The NT is great (dash rattles fixed) and is now living up to my expectations.
              What a shame Pajeros are going to be discontinued
              Wifes car is a 2015 outlander and she is very happy with it. (her 2nd one)

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

I think you need to do a more accurate measure of the fuel by filling up when you leave and doing the same when you get back to see how much you've used. I wouldn't trust the read out on the MM display to be that accurate. While some might say there's a small fuel saving with the mod, I haven't seen any reports with the sort of figures you are getting.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Markts58
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Granton Tas

Resistor Mod

Thanks Ian.

Surely my fuel gauge and the distance to empty reading cant be all that wrong as its consistently displayed the same average readings since i have owned the vehicle.

I'm not saying its a miracle cure for fuel economy, rather I'm surprised at the difference in how much less its used compared to 20 or so similar trips.

Time will tell but i thought i would share this information to others hoping someone could relate to it?

I really dont think short suburban driving will reveal any major differences in economy but it is curious that the distance to empty reading this time compared to all others is 200 + Ks more than it usually is and my driving technique has not altered.

As I said previously my fuel gauge is also telling me that i have used less fuel.

Who Knows ?

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Yeah, cheers mate. I just can't say I've seen any noticeable improvement on fuel but that's just a bonus if it works for you. The main game is keeping the intake manifold clean and it certainly does that.

Comment

• Scoise Maloise
                      • Feb 2020
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Markts58 View Post
                      Thanks Ian.

Surely my fuel gauge and the distance to empty reading cant be all that wrong as its consistently displayed the same average readings since i have owned the vehicle.

I'm not saying its a miracle cure for fuel economy, rather I'm surprised at the difference in how much less its used compared to 20 or so similar trips.

Time will tell but i thought i would share this information to others hoping someone could relate to it?

I really dont think short suburban driving will reveal any major differences in economy but it is curious that the distance to empty reading this time compared to all others is 200 + Ks more than it usually is and my driving technique has not altered.

As I said previously my fuel gauge is also telling me that i have used less fuel.

Who Knows ?
                      Im seeing similar results. i usually averaged about 8.9 - 9.5 L/100 on my work drive and since installing the EGR cable its sitting around 7 - 7.5. same trip, same conditions. Weather the trip computer is accurate or not having consistent results then change has gotta mean something.

Comment

• bb2wa
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Perth

Originally posted by carnut1100 View Post
                        As above, catch can is still worthwhile.

I found the resistor mod pushed fuel consumption up a bit, and altered the boost behaviour...I’m taking it back out.
                        Coding the EGR off with a remap is the best solution...
                        I found 12% less fuel consumption with egr mod.
                        2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• kiwi horan
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Melbourne

I've got 2008 NS Exceed
                          Blanking plate cause an intermittent error

Turbo pressure would fail and go into limp mode
                          Turn off - restart .. would run fine with engine light on, very occasionally the code would clear itself,
                          Used a scantool to clear
                          Same result as above, would come and go
                          Pajero NS 2008 Exceed MY07

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X