• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Does it still have new car warranty (might have a bit of time left) or has it expired?
    Note a lack of servicing records may impact on any warranty claim.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
      Probably a 2-3 hour job. Poor adhesion of FIPG due to bad prep at engine assembly causes leak. Certainly a warranty job

Oops. It was not only the sump oil leak but also the rear main. Both done at the same time.

That I would not like to pay for.

BTW. It's great to have you around.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

FYI if build date is prior to 5/2/14 and its now out of warranty then a goodwill claim would be appropriate. After this date the "production process was improved" and shouldnt happen. But it still does :-s
        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

FYI if build date is prior to 5/2/14 and its now out of warranty then a goodwill claim would be appropriate. After this date the "production process was improved" and shouldnt happen. But it still does :-s

So it took 7 years for MM to try and sort out.

Comment

• drgtr
            • Sep 2019
            • Rosemeadow

This is the first Mitsubishi I ever owned.

I always noticed Mitsus were great when new but they never aged well.

I have owned toyota and nissans in the past like prado and patrol.

Prado was very reliable.

Hopefully the pajero does last. I cant afford to buy another car for awhile

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

To my way of thinking, selling or trading in a car in this condition suggests that the previous owner didn't care too much about looking after his investment ( the car). If that washis attitude then I would think rather long and hard about how he drove and maintained the beast. The car probably hasn't been near a service centre since new. Alarmbells stsrt ringing with me. These cars arebuilt to take a fair bit of abuse, and it is up to youor someone you trust to decide if the abuse has been excessive.

I USE my Pajero but do not ABUSE it. I think that most people on this forum are the same.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2019
                • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                So it took 7 years for MM to try and sort out.

The story goes that during engine assembly one member of the team wasnt wiping the block surface clean of anti corrosion treatment and when FIPG and the sump were installed the sealant never stuck to the block efficiently. When we remove the sump to inspect we find huge patches of block that do not need any sealer scraping off.

So depending on who fitted your sump depends on whether it will leak or not. Thats why not every Pajero leaks.
                2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• NW_Exceed_MY14
                  • Dec 2019
                  • AU

Thanks everyone.

I have checked against the VIN on MMAL website but there is no recall listed except for the air bags. I can't find the exact build date. But here is the VIN if someone can find anything.
                  J,M,F, L, Y, V, 9, 8, W, EJ, 006, 029. I have added some commas so it doesn't appear in online search.
                  I am really not much clued up about cars, but any mention of words "oil leak" sounds like potential trouble.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
                    This is the first Mitsubishi I ever owned.

I always noticed Mitsus were great when new but they never aged well.

I have owned toyota and nissans in the past like prado and patrol.

Prado was very reliable.

Hopefully the pajero does last. I cant afford to buy another car for awhile
                    Out of interest you may find this interesting as below as I am researching vehicles.

Quite a few Toyota Prado/ Hilux owners at the moment with 1KD-FTV engine wish they had never seen that engine, I have been following the cracked piston saga, some are not ageing well at all I also have Toyota report stating it is piston design nothing else. Although towing & extended length of engine running times under load do seem to be common all the same it is not injectors, it is not poor service, it is not towing, it is the piston & quite a few owners of newer engine that the DPF is driving crazy as well & now there is a class action on the DPF matter.

There is a Facebook group over 200 engines with cracked pistons, yes this is a small number but that is just the people whom know about the group obviously. I see between 1 & 4 new members per week, every week.

Hit & miss who gets new engine as good will out of warranty claim as well, others anywhere between $8,000 & $14,000ish repair.

The money you saved buying Pajero in lieu of Prado, also should have quite a few dollars to maintain your Pajero as well, Prado problems aside that is.

Here is a snippet from Toyota's own report

"Root Cause The formation of the combustion cavities occurs under high speed, high load and long durations operating conditions. The formation of these cavities is a normal occurrence. However, when they form on the lip of the piston combustion chamber, they causes a weak point from which a thermal stress crack may propagate. The crack then leads to the eventual failure of the piston. "
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by NW_Exceed_MY14 View Post
                      Thanks everyone.

I am really not much clued up about cars, but any mention of words "oil leak" sounds like potential trouble.

Ok you have answered your own question.

Go with your gut.

Some real good deals on new Pajero GLX model have been floating around.
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by NW_Exceed_MY14 View Post
                        Thanks everyone.

I have checked against the VIN on MMAL website but there is no recall listed except for the air bags. I can't find the exact build date. But here is the VIN if someone can find anything.
                        J,M,F, L, Y, V, 9, 8, W, EJ, 006, 029. I have added some commas so it doesn't appear in online search.

Worth speaking to a Dealer about goodwill claim. If no luck, shop around other dealers nearby.
                        2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• drgtr
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                          Out of interest you may find this interesting as below as I am researching vehicles.

Quite a few Toyota Prado/ Hilux owners at the moment with 1KD-FTV engine wish they had never seen that engine, I have been following the cracked piston saga, some are not ageing well at all I also have Toyota report stating it is piston design nothing else. Although towing & extended length of engine running times under load do seem to be common all the same it is not injectors, it is not poor service, it is not towing, it is the piston & quite a few owners of newer engine that the DPF is driving crazy as well & now there is a class action on the DPF matter.

There is a Facebook group over 200 engines with cracked pistons, yes this is a small number but that is just the people whom know about the group obviously. I see between 1 & 4 new members per week, every week.

Hit & miss who gets new engine as good will out of warranty claim as well, others anywhere between $8,000 & $14,000ish repair.

The money you saved buying Pajero in lieu of Prado, also should have quite a few dollars to maintain your Pajero as well, Prado problems aside that is.

Here is a snippet from Toyota's own report

"Root Cause The formation of the combustion cavities occurs under high speed, high load and long durations operating conditions. The formation of these cavities is a normal occurrence. However, when they form on the lip of the piston combustion chamber, they causes a weak point from which a thermal stress crack may propagate. The crack then leads to the eventual failure of the piston. "
                          Thanks

Also after researching and reading everything I could. It seems to me the 4m41 motor is ultra reliable and over engineered for its current power from factory too

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
                            Thanks

Also after researching and reading everything I could. It seems to me the 4m41 motor is ultra reliable and over engineered for its current power from factory too
                            Me too LOL!

Old is not always bad………...

Comment

• drgtr
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Rosemeadow

Me too LOL!

lol I hear you.

I came from an ultra reliable old school TD42t nissan patrol.

The 4m41 is just a modern reliable version.

I am happy with my choice and even at 200 000kms I believe it should last me double that

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Greater Sydney

Me too LOL!

Yep. they are a rattly old thing but they keep going and going.................

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X