• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diesel 789
    • Mar 2016
    • Langwarrin Victoria

Fitting bullbar to 2015 Challenger

I have a KH series Challenger (manufactured 10/2015) and am considering fitting a bulbar mainly for animal strike protection when travelling. No winch required. I am looking at either alloy or the smart bar option due to weight considerations, and do not wish to update the suspension, required with a steel bar. I have looked at ECB bars (35 Kg), expensive but looks good, and Smart Bar (23 Kg), reasonably priced but has debatable looks. The smart bar also requires extensive cutting of the bumper to fit. After enquiring at a number of 4wd shops I also have doubts as to the compatability of these bars to this model. Any thoughts considerations would be appreciated.
    Regards Diesel 789
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

An alloy bar will not give you even a fraction of the animal strike protection that comes with steel or the Smartbar.

I've hit more than a few and live in a roo infested area so there'll be more. Having had alloy bars I would only ever have steel now. Of course, if they could make a Smartbar that wasn't seriously ugly....
    Chris

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

ECB is the only bar that does not require the lower section of the bumper cover to be cut and removed. An alloy bar will absorb a lot of the impact forces so the car is still likely to be drivable but the bar will require replacing once deformed. However once easily deformed they offer little further protection.

Smartbar, people either love them or hate them. Will absorb more impact than alloy so less damaging forces get transmitted back to the cars body and chassis as well is occupants. Smartbars do return to almost their original shape and offer continue protection from subsequent animal strikes. This thread has a lot of info in it.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 25-12-17, 04:21 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Diesel 789
        • Mar 2016
        • Langwarrin Victoria

Thanks for the replies. If I can convince myself that that Smart Bar looks good then I will most probably go with the Smart Bar.
        Regards Diesel 789

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Diesel 789 View Post
          Thanks for the replies. If I can convince myself that that Smart Bar looks good then I will most probably go with the Smart Bar.
          Regards Diesel 789
          Have you checked out the Challenger on the Smartbar website?

It is OJ's.

Except for the driving lights and the UHF antenna.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ozzyal
            • Sep 2017
            • Rushworth

I'm saving for the smart bar myself for all the reasons OJ sited , including not needing to alter the suspension .
            I don't mind the look at all . I do think that the steel would offer much better protection , but the added weight and expense of needing to upgrade the suspension puts me off . Especially as I really like the way this car rides at the moment . I'd be sooo pissed off if I spent a packet and ended up with a harsh ride .

Comment

• Ozzyal
              • Sep 2017
              • Rushworth

Actually just placed the order for the smart bar

Comment

• Gusey
                • Nov 2015
                • Townsville

I came across them at work (mine site), OJ's comments on the threads here made my mind up, fitted mine this weekend.
                2015 PC Auto/ Roo Systems ECU Remap/ 2.5inch Roo Systems Exhaust/ Safari Snorkel/ M&M 4x4 Auto Mate/ Munji EGR Delete/ OME Lift Kit/ 265 75 R16 Hankook A/T's/ Smartbar/ Rhino Flatrack/ ARB Awning/ 80ltr fridge/ 120ah Dual Battery/ GME UHF/ Diff Breathers.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X