• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

I understand the necessity for doing things on the cheap, but for $245, you can buy a Projecta IDC25 DC-DC Charger.
    This will enable you to Charge from the Alt and Solar simultaneously, or independently.

It can step up the input voltage from as little as 9 volts and is a 3 stage charger. It has Over Charge protection, Temp Protection and even Reverse polarity protection.

To me. It seems like better solution than relying on Solar alone.

JMO

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Have a question for all what temp are yous running in the fridge/freezer"s as seems like alot of amps being drawn ?
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        Have a question for all what temp are yous running in the fridge/freezer"s as seems like alot of amps being drawn ?
        Mine is set at +3 but some of the Amp calculations in this thread seem to be based on the fridge running all the time, which they don't

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Freezer minus 14

Fridge 2 or zero in hotter climates
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Freezer minus 14

Fridge 2 or zero in hotter climates
            Can I ask why minus 14 .. (As I am still a camping fridge beginner) still learning the ropes ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Can I ask why minus 14 .. (As I am still a camping fridge beginner) still learning the ropes ...

Freezing should be at least -10. If you can get down to -18 or -20 then do it. Once on the road and your only away for a week or two -10/-8 is about the highest you,d want to run your freezer. You should have gone through most of your frozen food if only out for a week or two. Traveling any longer then keep frozen food at the lowest you can. Big difference between -1 and -20 degrees for the killing of bacteria.
              I dont believe the temperatures from my Engels. I go buy feel for the fridge that has beer and milk and for the Engel freezer...I turn it to its lowest setting and leave it there. I have a good multi meter and it has shown that the temp gauges are not very accurate. oN A WARM DAY YOU KNOW WETHER YOUR BEER IS COLD OR NOT!

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

I tried minus 2 and all the food wasn't frozen. A friend who had a fridge for a while longer than me told me to turn it to max which is minus 18. I found -14 ok but when up north, full. Depending on the fridge, they say they will go 50 below ambient for example. That means if you leave it in s hot car which could be 60 degrees when locked up in the sun, it needs to be on full or it will struggle.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                  I tried minus 2 and all the food wasn't frozen. A friend who had a fridge for a while longer than me told me to turn it to max which is minus 18. I found -14 ok but when up north, full. Depending on the fridge, they say they will go 50 below ambient for example. That means if you leave it in s hot car which could be 60 degrees when locked up in the sun, it needs to be on full or it will struggle.
                  What fridge are you running? We have the waeco cf50 .. put frozen food in pre trip. . Had fridge on 240v -4 .. then hooked up 12v .. food kept beers and diary in extra compartment. . Kept adding beers in freezer compartment none frooze .. but was only for 4 days ..

Ambient temp was only 25 deg c

Last edited by littleriver; 05-11-17, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

It's a Waeco cf 40. I use that in the tug as a freezer on long trips. The Tvan has a EvaKool 47 which is a much better fridge all round.

Comment

• paul77
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Sunny Coast

Where do you guys get your wiring from the roof into the cab? At the moment I have the panel and regulator on the roof, cable down the A-pillar, to the main cable from the starter to auxiliary battery. From there it goes all the way to the back into the boot. So total cable length after regulator is about 9 meters....
                      There isn't anything coming through obviously because of voltage drop.
                      So I would like to put a good regulator right next to the auxiliary battery in the boot. Is there another way to get the cable into the cab of a second generation pajero so I don't have to go first all the way to the engine bay and then back? I don't like a dodgy cable in the door...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                      Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

Sold:1997 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC V6
                      2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Heres how I ran my wires from my 80 watt panel on roof to rear tub on a 2014 NW. wENT UNDER RUBBERS OF ROOF RACK AND THEN DOWN REAR DOOR AND THROUGH RIGHT HAND REAR LIGHT ASSEMBLY (REMOVED THE LIGHT WHILST i INSERTED WIRES THROUGH RUBBER GROMMET AND THEN THROUGH INTERNAL PANELS INTO TUB WHICH HOUSES MY REGULATOR/BATTERY SET UP.
                        Attached Files
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• paul77
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Sunny Coast

Thanks for the reply. I ended up mounting the regulator right at the thick cable that runs to the battery in the back. The fridge is running constantly and even through 3 days off constant rain it kept the battery full.
                          In full sun it charges at 13.7v. when it's raining I still get more than 13v as long as the sun is up.
                          Really happy with it!
                          (I know it doesn't look beautiful. I can't be bothered to build a waterproof fuse and tech box at this point. The regulator claims to be waterproof so it should be good enough)

Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by paul77 View Post
                            Thanks for the reply. I ended up mounting the regulator right at the thick cable that runs to the battery in the back. The fridge is running constantly and even through 3 days off constant rain it kept the battery full.
                            In full sun it charges at 13.7v. when it's raining I still get more than 13v as long as the sun is up.
                            Really happy with it!
                            (I know it doesn't look beautiful. I can't be bothered to build a waterproof fuse and tech box at this point. The regulator claims to be waterproof so it should be good enough)

Mount the regulator next to your battery in the rear. Regs do not like heat and the further from the receiving battery the greater the regulators in inefficiency. Just by moving it you could pick up an extra amp or two (depending on solar panel size). Heat also effects performance and longevity of the unit. Always place regulator as close as possible to receiving battery/ies.
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• paul77
                              • Apr 2017
                              • Sunny Coast

Have been using my 120w solar panel for some time now. It is big enough to keep the fridge going but if I use much more I lose charge on not super sunny days.. good enough for me though as I am on a road trip and drive every 3-4 days anyway.

I had one of those "cheap" jaycar circuit breakers in my dual battery setup and the other day it started to trip every 10 minutes or so. So I took it out and put a fuse in instead to rule out a faulty breaker. Turns out it was the breaker and since I have a HQ fuse in there the voltage drop is greatly reduced! I get way better charge for my second battery from both solar and alternator.
                              I thought this would be worth posting as I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses this kind of circuit breaker. Don't trust them! Use a fuse or good breaker instead!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X