• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Replacement Key - Pajero / Triton

Some months back I lost one of my keys for my NT, leaving me with only 1.

I rang Mitsubishi, and got quoted $260 - $300, depending on the dealer. Bit the bullet with the $260 dealer, got stuffed around and walked out.

Recently decided to try again. Did some research, found maparts.com.au, trawled their website and found a KF373 that looks the same as my key. The website lists it at Triton only, so I called their number, and was assured their records had it listed as Triton / Pajero.

Repco's main store in Adelaide had it in stock, so I went for a drive to pick one up. The packet even says Triton / Pajero, cost $196.20. Now to get it cut / coded.

After some research here, I decided to call Alchin, who offer a mobile service and offered to arrive within 2 hours. Cut & program, at my home, for $88. I wasn't inclined to argue.

They turned up early, and the first thing they did was attempt to fit the key in the lock. No go. Wouldn't slide in. I even tried myself - definitely wouldn't fit. On closer inspection, although all the grooves are in the right spot, the "new" key has narrower grooves than the original.

Then Mr Alchin offered to supply, cut & code a genuine Mitsubishi blank for $220. Had the blank in his van, laser cut the key based on a code (rather than copy the worn key), then spent 10 or 15 minutes following complicated dance routines to program. All done.

So, two things.

1. Don't trust advice from mapart.com.au. Perhaps there's a good reason why the website lists it for Triton but not Pajero? If the company knew it didn't fit Pajero, why doesn't their system flag this fact somewhere to prevent customers wasting their time?

2. I cannot recommend Alchin highly enough. Mobile service to supply, cut & code a key for less cost and less fuss than Mitsubishi.

If you lose a key in Adelaide, call Alchin Locksmiths. http://alchinlocksmiths.com.au/ 0412 834 699.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I've also used Alchin Locksmiths and highly recommend them. Great price and great service.

About 6 months ago I had them make a new (second) key for a Forester I bought for the inlaws. Alchin was $150ish cheaper than Subaru and used a genuine Subaru key/remote assembly.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

When i bought the nw i asked about the price for a new (2nd spare) key i was qouted $500. I said no way. Fastforward about 9 months or so i loose one of my keys. So when getting the car serviced by MM I ask them to add a new key and coding to the bill. The bloke at the counter says wow the price has dropped, must be because the nx has come out. It still cost me $380.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

OK - you guys are in Adelaide, but have a look at the Electrical section where a bloke wanted a new remote for his NL Pajero. I told him about the Dandenong Market key man in Melbourne - $65 for a new spare key cut and coded for my NW Pajero. Good value.

Comment

• peg
          • Sep 2013
          • Melbourne

Dandy market man good value but that is just for the key/transponder, that will cost about $70 and the remote will be appox $170

peg
          Last edited by peg; 13-01-17, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• johndavis125262
            • Apr 2013
            • brisbane

hi is this the the key ,,link,,http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301820925...N41.S2.R9.TR10

and theres a youtube clip regards john

Comment

• NTX
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by johndavis125262 View Post
              hi is this the the key ,,link,,http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301820925...N41.S2.R9.TR10

and theres a youtube clip regards john
              I'll give you a free tip. Stay away from this mob! I bought the version with the transponder. I had the Paj serviced last November and booked the locksmith the cut and code the new key as a spare. He cut the key and then tried it in the ignition and it would not fit! On closer inspection, it was shorter then the original? I contacted the seller immediately and they said it was over three months since purchase and that was the last I have heard from them. I have just this morning escalated the case with Paypal. Ive emailed them at least six times plus through Paypal and they don't give a rats ass it seems.

Save
              Save
              Save
              2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• yort
                • May 2011
                • Sunshine Coast

My wife broke the key shell to the ns pajero last week, whats the difference between left and right blade?

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

Study both photos of L and R and you will see it

Edit. click on m&ms link and the seller shows what your looking for.

Last edited by RUGGA; 15-01-17, 02:58 PM.
                  02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Hatto
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by peg View Post
                    Dandy market man good value but that is just for the key/transponder, that will cost about $70 and the remote will be appox $170

peg
                    Really? So you're saying that I can finally get a spare key for my NW which will deactivate the immobiliser/alarm and start the car if I loose my only original for under $100 and all I'm missing out on is the remote lock/unlock feature? Instead just having to insert the key into the door to lock/unlock.
                    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                      Really? So you're saying that I can finally get a spare key for my NW which will deactivate the immobiliser/alarm and start the car if I loose my only original for under $100 and all I'm missing out on is the remote lock/unlock feature? Instead just having to insert the key into the door to lock/unlock.

I got my spare coded key from the Dandy Market for $65. It unlocks the door manually, operates the igniton switch and starts the engine. The only problem is if you have the alarm set - after 30 seconds or something, the alarm goes off unless you turn the ignition switch on. OK - as a spare emergency key it is $65 well spent. If I got to the stage where I was using it all the time, I would probably chase up a separate remote control unit and attach that to my keyring, but there is enough crap on it already.

Comment

• Chris.
                        • Jan 2014
                        • N/A

I picked up my second hand NX Pajero tonight & arriving home noticed I only had 1 key. Surely they come with 2 keys from new? I assume either the dealer lost it or it wasn't with the vehicle when it was traded.

Comment

• Pajero12
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Chris. View Post
                          I picked up my second hand NX Pajero tonight & arriving home noticed I only had 1 key. Surely they come with 2 keys from new? I assume either the dealer lost it or it wasn't with the vehicle when it was traded.
                          Hi Chris,

It's very common that owners don't bring in all keys and accessories when trading the car. The dealers don't chase too hard as it's not a deal breaker for them to sell it.

The NX has a different key from the NS-NW?
                          NW GL. DiD Auto with 265/75 St Maxx on 17" Alloys, Factory Steel bullbar
                          MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X