• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mooreyfiveo
    • May 2014
    • Melbourne

Not Cool!

Does anyone else have issues with their AC not coping?

It was only mid 30s yesterday (despite centre display tryign to indicating low 40s) and I had AC pumping full bore. It cooled things down but was running non stop for about 2hours of driving, just to be comfortable, not cold.

My PC has the factory privacy glass, plus legal tint.
    2013 PC LS with 265/70/17 BFG AT. Bushskinz and Ironman protection. Lovells shocks and springs with Air Bags.
    Previously 3 Jeeps and a SWB LC (Bundera!)
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by mooreyfiveo View Post
    Does anyone else have issues with their AC not coping?

It was only mid 30s yesterday (despite centre display tryign to indicating low 40s) and I had AC pumping full bore. It cooled things down but was running non stop for about 2hours of driving, just to be comfortable, not cold.

My PC has the factory privacy glass, plus legal tint.
    when was you pullon cabin filter last changed ?
    (drop glove box - pushing in edges ... then a couple of screws to pull out & inspect...) - I have caught out the service department a couple of times, charging for it but not replacing it is to be replaced every 12 months as per service manual 2012 models onwards

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Pollen filter can be cleaned by washing in warm mild soapy water, rinse and then dry in the sun. I do mine every 4 months and tell MM Service departments not to touch it.

cheers, OJ,
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

For a quick confirmation of the filter, try removing the filter before washing it and then take it for a run without the filter installed.

1. Do you have the recycle air selected as well?
        2. Is your PC a dark colour?
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• barney351
          • Nov 2011
          • Sth East,Vic

Sorry to hear about your cooling issues mate, as the others have said,check your pollen filter, its does get very dirty if you have been anywhere near dust,
          i noticed you have after market bash plates, these generally don't have the same molded shape as the factory ones, and thus allow some of the cool air to escape through gaps instead of being forced through the radiator, OJ has a post on a great fix for this,
          there is also a plastic trim under the radiator that some people remove as it gets in the way of the after market bash plates, if you have removed it, i would put it back on and re position it so that it angles forward and forces the air into the radiator, you want as much of the air that is entering through the front of the car to go through the radiator, but not be able to escape back into the front of the radiator via gaps.

I also had bad cooling issues in my Challenger, in that whenever the outside temp was about 35degs or above, my air con would shut down and blow uncooled air, this would then lead to the transmission going into self protect mode and locking in 2nd gear, i am also in Melbourne, and found the most times when i had the issues, was when sitting in slow moving peak hour traffic, whenever i would drop into a dealer to mention this, they would point to all the (generally)Tritons out front and tell me i am not the only one.

I noticed in another post that you use Statewide4x4, mention the issues to them and get them to check that your fans are working correctly, also, have you had your motor checked for the overheating issues that there was a recall for a couple of years ago?

If you plan on keeping the car, could a snorkel help to catch cooler air into the motor? perhaps some of the guys who have installed snorkels could mention if they feel it has made their car feel as though it is running cooler/

hope you get it sorted mate!

PS -as 900canoes mentioned, is it a dark colour? mine was ironbark in color with the black leather, and i definitely feel that this made the car a lot hotter

Comment

• PeePee
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2012
            • Brisbane

I haven't experienced any issues with the a/c, I have a snorkel ARB bar and bash plates and haven't given it a thought to be honest. I would be speaking with the service mob and get them to check it, and keep banging on about it till they fix it.
            MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Bullbar fitted if so what type?

What temperature is the engine coolant running at?

Have you even driven through dirty water deeper than 300mm?

cheers, OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• coughy
                Valued Member
                • May 2014
                • Redlands Brisbane QLD

do you have climate control???
                or standard air knob???
                and do you have a thermo fan installed on the condensor??

my pb xls has climate and the thermo fan
                now the thermo fan is controled by the interier sensor which is in the dash at your left knee height so thermo only turns on when the sensor says it is hot in the car and activates the fan

im now looking in to a resistor mod to fool it so it is on all the time...
                My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• mooreyfiveo
                  • May 2014
                  • Melbourne

Thanks guys, lots of things to look at and questions above to answer. Hope I cover them all.

Colour = Silver
                  Bullbar = Ironman
                  Aircon = usually run on recirc, have climate control knob
                  Pollen filter = good tip, I'll check
                  Bash guards = installed myself without removing any other shrouds, guards etc
                  Traffic = mix of Freeway and suburbs, got caught in jams a couple of times
                  Water = no water crossings, seen a lot of dust though
                  Overheat Recall = was checked at last service - so they tell me
                  Coolant temp =
                  Tyres = 265/70/17 I assume dont help, working engine a little harder.

I'm almost due for 45thou service, so I'll check filter before and after!
                  Have always had concerns about aircon from new, lowest temp setting on dial just doesn't seem to blow as cold as a lot of other vehicles.

Heading to Murray River for a week camping at end of Jan, that'll test it!
                  Last edited by mooreyfiveo; 20-01-16, 01:33 PM. Reason: Fat fingers, small key board
                  2013 PC LS with 265/70/17 BFG AT. Bushskinz and Ironman protection. Lovells shocks and springs with Air Bags.
                  Previously 3 Jeeps and a SWB LC (Bundera!)

Comment

• Spoonman
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Canberra

I've noticed a slight issue with mine over the last few hot days but the issue isn't the temperature of the air con, it's that the fan just doesn't seem to be blowing much air out. When I hold my hand right up to the vent there is nice cold air coming out (at all vents) but with fan at full speed I can barely feel it on my face or body. Some sort of blockage would be the logical response to this but the air movement is consistent at all vents and changes accordingly with the fan speed dial. Perhaps the fan is a bit small for the vehicle? It does cool the car down eventually but takes a long time.

A factor to consider is the position of the sun. I've noticed when the sun is in front of me the windscreen is like a magnifying glass and really heats the inside of the car, way more than any other car I've owned. If the sun is behind me, nowhere near as much of an issue.
                    SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers

Comment

• 900canoes
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2008
                      • FNQ

it's that the fan just doesn't seem to be blowing much air out.
                      That is a symptom of a clogged pollen filter.
                      2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• Spoonman
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Canberra

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
                        That is a symptom of a clogged pollen filter.
                        Thanks for the tip - just pulled mine out and full of bugs, dirt etc. How much is a replacement filter, and can you buy aftermarket filters or OEM only? EDIT Disregard, there are a heap of threads about it already. Should have searched first! I know Old Jack mentioned they can be washed but I think this one is past the point of no return.

Also, I assume driving around for a day or two without a cabin filter isn't an issue? Maybe just keep it on recirculate?
                        Last edited by Spoonman; 20-01-16, 03:44 PM.
                        SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Originally posted by Spoonman View Post
                          Thanks for the tip - just pulled mine out and full of bugs, dirt etc. How much is a replacement filter, and can you buy aftermarket filters or OEM only? EDIT Disregard, there are a heap of threads about it already. Should have searched first! I know Old Jack mentioned they can be washed but I think this one is past the point of no return.

Also, I assume driving around for a day or two without a cabin filter isn't an issue? Maybe just keep it on recirculate?
                          this one seems reasonably priced with good feedback as seller

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• cookie9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Central Coast NSW

thanks for the tips on washing the filter. I did mine today, was very dirty with lots of loose crud also! Just sent the missus out in 35 degree heat to test it out
                            2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

i have a sneaky suspicion that the service centres aren't changing the pollen filters ...
                              is in - A Schedule Service in service and warranty booklet (Replace air purifier) listed every 12 month / 15,000km service ...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X