• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sigmund
    • Aug 2013
    • Melbourne

Isuzu MU-X

Having just signed for one folks suggested I post updates on how she goes. Well there's an 8 week wait for the colour I want so plenty of time to research the mods and accessories.

Isuzu have a long history of making 4WD wagons and of cooperative efforts with other car makers starting with Wolseley in 1918. Folk will know of Jackaroo, Rodeo, Frontera, Monterey and Gemini - all Isuzu under the skin AFAIK. They are also Australia's biggest truck maker with a rep for making reliable vehicles. The factory says that with proper servicing the MU-X engine will return over 500,000 km.

The MU-X (pronounced Mew Ex please) grew out of the D-Max and the MU series and shares the D-Max's 3l turbo diesel engine though the split camshafts and stainless timing chain may be new. The chassis is 25cm shorter and it sports a coil spring live axle rear. The 5 speed auto is made by Aisin. It shares some parts with the Colorado 7 but not the engine and driveline and requires a different bull bar and front suspension.

A modified MU-X has just won its class in the Finke Desert Race driven by Bruce Garland who described the vehicle as tough.
    Attached Files
    Cheers from smelly Melb.
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Have a friend who has bought one (interstate). He loves it. I notice it comes with steel guards through to transmission.

Will be interested to hear feedback on the 4WD system especially compared to the MATT.
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Sigmund
      • Aug 2013
      • Melbourne

Early reviews say the auto box hill ascent and descent control works and feels odd. I'm interested in whether the electronics can mimic a diff locker.

Yeah, the MU-X comes with bash plates. Not sure what the quality is. Rear diff isn't covered. IMO a big oversight is not to have roof rails on the lesser specced models and a weak one on the LST. The 65l tank will also prove an irritation to some users.

My priorities are to install a bull bar and suspension kit. Also a charging circuit and brake controller for the camper trailer.
      Cheers from smelly Melb.

Comment

• PBding
        • May 2010
        • Canberra

Originally posted by Axis View Post

Will be interested to hear feedback on the 4WD system especially compared to the MATT.
        One of the reasons why I bought another mitsi, although the hill descent on the MU-X appeared impressive.
        NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• Sigmund
          • Aug 2013
          • Melbourne

User reports so far, inc my own small venture onto a beach, is that sand performance with the auto is very good. Plenty of power in a flat curve delivery between 1800 and 2800 rpm.
          Cheers from smelly Melb.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

took one for a test drive quite impressed but only the flash one with auto only available here.Wanted a more basic manual version but no go
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Sigmund
              • Aug 2013
              • Melbourne

In terms of controls on the auto:

The hill descent uses compression braking only; it's not a system like the Land Rover's.
              ESC is automatically turned off in 4L but you can manually do it in 4H.
              TC can be turned off manually.
              Extra braking will be applied to the max if it senses you are doing an emergency stop and it will apportion force btwn front and rear.
              Driving downhill while braking will signal to the box to change up a gear.

It doesn't have a diff lock.
              Cheers from smelly Melb.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by Sigmund View Post
                In terms of controls on the auto:

Driving downhill while braking will signal to the box to change up a gear.
                UP a gear?
                2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Sigmund
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Melbourne

So here's a few more comments after 14 k km and 6 months.

Fuel consumption is pretty good. 8.2 lph solo on the highway when aiming to stick at an indicated 110 kph; 10 lph @ 95 kph (actual) towing c. 1.4 tonnes. 12 lph solo doing some pretty hard off-road driving.

Solo highway touring is a car-like experience despite the light truck construction. It sits and tracks comfortably at 110 (indicated). Std suspension is very ordinary; harsh at lower speeds over small bumps. I've put in a Dobinson lift kit which is slightly better and necessary for the load carried.

Reliability: no failures; 3 minor non-urgent recalls. Started easily at -4 C with fuel additive. The motor is claimed to return 500 k km with normal servicing in 90% of cases; Isuzu is Australia's biggest seller of light trucks with a long pedigree so that's no surprise.

Rough handling: keeps up perfectly well with other makes. The 3l TD has a wide spread of power that makes driving easy.

Mods and accessories: the slow roll-out has been a bit frustrating but now there's just a decent LR tank yet to come. I've fitted a bull bar, the lift mentioned, brake controller and charge circuit, UHF radio, ScanGauge and roof racks. A cargo barrier will go in next week.

We're lined up for the Simpson in July and I've no doubt it'll cope fine. Some work will be needed to fit the cargo space out for camping and I'll do a basic job of this myself.

So far the best investment I've made since buying the wagon is in two driving courses. Learned a great deal and got much increased confidence as this is my first big 4WD.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sigmund; 29-01-15, 02:31 PM.
                  Cheers from smelly Melb.

Comment

• RG76
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sydney

Hi Sigmund, I'm looking at one of these for my next car. Just one query though is how good the LSD performs?

I've grown very fond of the diff lock in the challenger and its gotten me out of some deep holes, whereas my friend without the diff lock seems to struggle.

Also how is the interior holding up? Does it scratch very easy? Cheers.
                    2015 MQ Triton GLS Manual, TJM XGS Suspension, TJM rear step/towbar, TJM Snorkel, Projecta Dual Battery, Bridgestone MT 674's...Eaton rear E-locker

Comment

• Sigmund
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Melbourne

There's no LSD or diff locker RG76. It's all electronic. (When you select 4WD Low, ESC is automatically turned off. TC remains unless you choose to turn it off as well.)

It's kept up with Prados, Cruisers, BT50s and Pathfinders in serious sand and medium mud.

Interior plastics are mostly hard and it isn't hard to mark them.

Take one for a test drive.
                      Cheers from smelly Melb.

Comment

• tomlola
                        • May 2010
                        • Brisbane

Yeah... but how does it compare with a Paj NW/NX ?
                        NP MY05 DiD

Comment

• Bucky
                          • Oct 2014
                          • Newcastle, NSW

My 2 cents worth....
                          I tossed up between an MUX LS-T & NX GLS and test drove both a few times back to back. (Ended up buying an NX Exceed).
                          My impression of the MUX was that it would probably make a better 4wd than the Paj, but ( IMO ) the Paj was a much better road car & more impressive all round package, & to me, worth the extra dollars.
                          MUX pro's -
                          * Engine / drivetrain have bulletproof reputation
                          * Well priced / economical
                          * Good leg room for driver
                          MUX cons -
                          * Cheap feeling, sparsly equipped, hard plastic interior
                          * Suspension quite soft
                          * Load bay not flat
                          * Felt sluggish compared to Paj

The Paj is my daily driver as well as 4wd / camping machine. I'm very impressed with it so far & happy with my choice.
                          However, if you did a lot of offroad work an MUX would be a great option.

Cheers,
                          Bucky

2014 NX Exceed ( Warm White ) MM Alloy Bull Bar, MM Tow Bar, Airtech Snorkel, Redarc dual battery system.

Comment

• RG76
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sydney

I second the soft suspension, I went for a drive in one at the 4wd show at Eastern Creek and it did bottom out a few times on the wombat holes. Nothing that a good suspension system won't sort out though.
                            2015 MQ Triton GLS Manual, TJM XGS Suspension, TJM rear step/towbar, TJM Snorkel, Projecta Dual Battery, Bridgestone MT 674's...Eaton rear E-locker

Comment

• Bundyk
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • North Nowra

Originally posted by RG76 View Post
                              Nothing that a good suspension system won't sort out though.
                              Yep, a mate of mine has recently bought one. We fitted a Dobinsons 2" lift to it and sorted it right out, it now sits beautifully on the road.
                              Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X