X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkwpajero
    • Jun 2008
    • Young, NSW

I have an EGR delete module and a Provent catch can fitted to my 2014 NW. I purchased the vehicle @ 44,500 ks and have covered about 3,000k's since fitment. I have been searching, trying to find any information on the long term effects of EGR delete modules on engine life. No luck yet. I have been whacked about the ears on a Pajero FB forum for questioning a poster who stated that EGR delete modules are rubbish and should not be fitted, and had my comments deleted. So without stiring a hornets nest could I politely request any true information of late model Pajero engine issues due to EGR delete modules. I am researching the parameters of how the EGR system operates at various throttle loads, and have some information from South Africa that makes sense.

James
    2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• rotare
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
      I have an EGR delete module and a Provent catch can fitted to my 2014 NW. I purchased the vehicle @ 44,500 ks and have covered about 3,000k's since fitment. I have been searching, trying to find any information on the long term effects of EGR delete modules on engine life. No luck yet. I have been whacked about the ears on a Pajero FB forum for questioning a poster who stated that EGR delete modules are rubbish and should not be fitted, and had my comments deleted. So without stiring a hornets nest could I politely request any true information of late model Pajero engine issues due to EGR delete modules. I am researching the parameters of how the EGR system operates at various throttle loads, and have some information from South Africa that makes sense.

James
      I'd take the opposite approach. What reason was given for why an EGR block would reduce engine life?
      2013 NW VRX

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I have been whacked about the ears on a Pajero FB forum for questioning a poster who stated that EGR delete modules are rubbish and should not be fitted, and had my comments deleted.
        Isn't it interesting how some people resent being questioned when they don't have the answer?

Once you've done your research, and understand why EGR is used and how it works, you can decide for yourself the implications of disabling it.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• jkwpajero
          • Jun 2008
          • Young, NSW

Originally posted by rotare View Post
          I'd take the opposite approach. What reason was given for why an EGR block would reduce engine life?
          I didn't get an answer before my posts were deleted. I know there are both pro and con sides to the discussion and people get a little passionate about the side they are on, but all I am after is some simple facts about the pitfalls of EGR delete modules. And they seem hard to come by. I have started to investigate a custom ECU tune and have been quoted around $2000, however I believe that includes a intake manifold clean as well with all labour. I already have a Taipan XP exhaust so it would maximize the benefit of the exhaust. The ECU tune will turn off the EGR as well.

James
          2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

... but all I am after is some simple facts about the pitfalls of EGR delete modules. And they seem hard to come by.
            Perhaps you could post some of your "simple facts" here, for some further discussion?

Or post a new thread with a summary of the FB argument, and we'll see if anybody here can support it?
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

I didn't get an answer before my posts were deleted. I know there are both pro and con sides to the discussion and people get a little passionate about the side they are on, but all I am after is some simple facts about the pitfalls of EGR delete modules. And they seem hard to come by. I have started to investigate a custom ECU tune and have been quoted around $2000, however I believe that includes a intake manifold clean as well with all labour. I already have a Taipan XP exhaust so it would maximize the benefit of the exhaust. The ECU tune will turn off the EGR as well.

James

Here is a bit of light reading about egr,s in diesel engines...
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                Perhaps you could post some of your "simple facts" here, for some further discussion?

Or post a new thread with a summary of the FB argument, and we'll see if anybody here can support it?
                I am the one after the facts My understanding is, as much as anyone else, the EGR delete module tricks the ECU into keeping the EGR motor closed. My ScangaugeII confirms this. With no recycled soot being mixed with the oil mist from the PVC ( Provent removes it) there is little to no buildup in the intake manifold. All good and well so far. The EGR on my motor also has a "cooler" which reduces the exhaust gas temps introduced into the intake manifold, but the EGR only works under certain throttle conditions. Still my question is "What are the long term ramifications of fitting an EGR module?" Personally, I think that it still uncharted waters over the long term. Pajero's have not suffered the same engine problems as Patrols, nor have any other brands I am aware of. Regular methodical maintenance is key to engine longevity, so maybe if that is adhered to all will be well. I have read quite a few previous posts in this thread and confusion reigns, but it is entertaining.

James
                Last edited by jkwpajero; 08-12-17, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Camo1966
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Durack NT

Well today I forked out just over one thousand dollars to have my intake manifold removed, cleaned and reinstalled also i had the rocker cover removed and had the valves adjusted and the top timing chain guard replaced. The Mitsubishi dealer wanted seven hundred dollars just to do the intake manifold so glad I didn't take it to them. For me the intake manifold will not have to be done again as I have fitted the adapter that plugs into the air flow sensor it's the same as the one that SPV industries make just much cheaper and also the crank case breather pipe has been done as well. No matter what you do with your vehicle if it's a diesel and has the EGR and crank case vapour running into the air intake they will slowly block up. They all do it. I've had the adapter on my Pajero for six months and the first thing I noticed was it idled faster and was more responsive. Today after having the intake and valves done i really havn't noticed any difference considering how blocked it was however the engine is quiter.

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

There has been a lot of discussion about the ill effects of an EGR blocking device - electronic of blanking plate. My opinion FWIW is that anything you can do to provide the engine with cleaner air and cleaner oil can only be beneficial. Having said this, I can see that under certain circumstances you may actually be getting more oxygen into the cylinders and then you can squirt more diesel in as well and this may make things run a bit hotter. Personally I don't see this as a problem because when you have your foot flat to the floor, the EGR is closed anyway and you are not recycling any exhaust gases (and soot) at that time. Also, you rarely drive for any length of time with the foot flat to the floor, so this is very much an intermittent event.

Comment

• nickmg66
                      • Apr 2018
                      • WA

Question

Re:

3) BEST METHOD IMHO: The turbo, which at the cruise levels discussed here is boosting to around 3 -4 PSI, can supply pressure to the MAP. We need to get this pressure past the Throttle Plate (since it is closed) and onto the intake plenum and the MAP sensor.

Drill a 12mm hole into the throttle plate. That's it. The pressure from the turbo now satisfies the MAP Sensor.

If you employ the following method do you need to blank EGR also?

Comment

• Chip Tuning
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by nickmg66 View Post
                        Re:

3) BEST METHOD IMHO: The turbo, which at the cruise levels discussed here is boosting to around 3 -4 PSI, can supply pressure to the MAP. We need to get this pressure past the Throttle Plate (since it is closed) and onto the intake plenum and the MAP sensor.

Drill a 12mm hole into the throttle plate. That's it. The pressure from the turbo now satisfies the MAP Sensor.

If you employ the following method do you need to blank EGR also?
                        YEP

See here for a guide

CLICK HERE
                        Robert
                        Chip Tuning

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact [email protected] for 10% forum discount
                        (NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X