• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apollo
    • Dec 2016
    • Cooloola Coast QLD

Fitting a MM towbar

Currently fitting a MM towbar to my PC and I am assuming there need to be two slots cut into the bumber to allow the wings to slide up into position. Is this correct? Can someone put up a photo with a measurement so I can measure twice, cut once!

Where is the best place to source a trailer wiring harness and ECU module?

Thanks
    Steve
  • Coleman
    • Jun 2013
    • Canberra

Yes Steve you will have to cut two slots in the bumper in line with the outside edge of the chassis rail. I didnt get a chance to take a measurement for you but you can work that out easily enough by the location of the holes in the bar and corresponding ones in the chassis
    2013 Glxr Pajero
    Arb bullbar installed, HID IPF driving lights. 1" Bilstein and Kings Springs suspension

Sold
    2012 PB Challenger. ARB Bullbar. Uniden UHF. ARB underbody protection. Cargo Barrier. Mitsu towbar. Lightforce 170 striker driving lights.

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

35mm wide and 75mm long. Centre line of slot parallel and central to outside edge of the chassis
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• whynot
        • Jan 2013
        • Brisbane

And mount any plugs, trailer, anderson etc. on top of the bar as you will damage them if mounted undeneath.
        Prado 150 petrol.
        Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
        Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• Apollo
          • Dec 2016
          • Cooloola Coast QLD

Thanks very much for the responses. Yes, saw the mounting plate under the bar for the plug and thought 'That aint going to last long', so above it is.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Steve,

Plug and Play wiring harness can be purchased either from MM, or an aftermarket towbar supplier like Hayman Reece or TAG, should cost about $150.

Remember the towbar attaches to the chassis and the cut out is on the body mounted panel, as there is a reasonable amount of chassis/body flex it is best to give about 5mm to 7mm clearance otherwise the chassis mounted accessory can chafe on the plastic body parts.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• SwampFox55
              • Jan 2014
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
              Currently fitting a MM towbar to my PC and I am assuming there need to be two slots cut into the bumber to allow the wings to slide up into position. Is this correct? Can someone put up a photo with a measurement so I can measure twice, cut once!

Where is the best place to source a trailer wiring harness and ECU module?

Thanks
              Steve

Steve,

I've just taken these shots of my towbar cut outs. Zoom in to see the measurements. They should give you some more confidence before you start cutting.

Cheers,

SF55
              Attached Files
              White 2012 PB auto with Mitsy towbar, Smart Bar, CB radio, Philips +100% high-beam bulbs, +60% low-beam, 265 J-Trax ATs, headlight protectors, rear dust deflector, mudflap extensions & ALDI roof racks.

Comment

• Apollo
                • Dec 2016
                • Cooloola Coast QLD

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Hi Steve,

Plug and Play wiring harness can be purchased either from MM, or an aftermarket towbar supplier like Hayman Reece or TAG, should cost about $150.

Remember the towbar attaches to the chassis and the cut out is on the body mounted panel, as there is a reasonable amount of chassis/body flex it is best to give about 5mm to 7mm clearance otherwise the chassis mounted accessory can chafe on the plastic body parts.

OJ.
                Originally posted by SwampFox55 View Post
                Steve,

I've just taken these shots of my towbar cut outs. Zoom in to see the measurements. They should give you some more confidence before you start cutting.

Cheers,

SF55
                Thank OJ & SwampFox. She is now all fitted up. Harness should be on its way now. Appreciate everyone's help

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by SwampFox55 View Post
                  Steve,

Cheers,

SF55
                  Good effort mate. It can be nerve wracking cutting into panels.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• SwampFox55
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Good effort mate. It can be nerve wracking cutting into panels.

Steve & Dicko1,

Just pleased to be of help. I know what it’s like put the saw to a clean piece of panel. Here are some shots of the cut-outs for the nudge bar I fitted after I bought my PB – might be of use to someone.

Cheers,

SF55
                    Attached Files
                    White 2012 PB auto with Mitsy towbar, Smart Bar, CB radio, Philips +100% high-beam bulbs, +60% low-beam, 265 J-Trax ATs, headlight protectors, rear dust deflector, mudflap extensions & ALDI roof racks.

Comment

• Michaelj15
                      • Feb 2016
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
                      Thank OJ & SwampFox. She is now all fitted up. Harness should be on its way now. Appreciate everyone's help
                      Hey Apollo - just wondering, where did you end up getting your wiring from? or does anyone have any good links for ecu + wiring plug and play?

cheers,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X