• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian1956
    • Jan 2018
    • Nsw

Petrol motor replaced by diesel

Hi, I have a 2006 3.8 Petrol NP and i’d Like to know if I can pull the motor out and replace with a 2.8 diesel motor, can it be done and what’s involved?
  • m1s3ry
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Kalorama, VIC.

Much cheaper and easier to buy a diesel car.
    Steele Perkins (#1263)
    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• rthy
      • Mar 2015
      • Tullamarine

If you're doing all the labour, it might be worth it.
      Best to get a whole wrecked pajero from the auctions then transfer everything.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NP Exceed V78W (Daily)
      Mitsubishi Pajero NG TURBOWAGON L149G (Sold)

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Obviously it is possible, but a lot of work. The engine of course, along with the engine wiring harness and the ECU. Then the alternator and starter motor are different. Exhaust is totally different. Ideally you would need to replace the driveline as well as the engine (or at least the front and rear diffs). The fuel lines. There are probably at least a dozen more things to replace.

And then there is the cost. If your current engine is stuffed, you can buy a replacement engine relatively cheaply (or even a new engine). The cost difference between a used diesel and a used petrol engine would be at least $4000. You can buy a lot of petrol for that and the cost of installation as well... It would probably be cheaper to buy a diesel vehicle in the first place. Anyway, if a lot of your driving is in city traffic, petrol Pajeros are much sweeter to drive than diesels. Out in the country, a different story...

And whilst you are at it, why not put in a 3.2 diesel rather than the 2.8? The latest (CRD) diesels are fantastic.

Comment

• Allan2
          • May 2013
          • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

If I was taking on a job like this I would need a complete downer vehicle as there would be many parts required to swap over. It is possible perhaps a statutory right off may be the way to go but check with the relevant authorities.
          Allan
          2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X