• Show
Clear All
  • oscaroo
    • Dec 2017
    • Sydney

2015 NX or 2017 NX

Gday.

I'm going to be buying a Pajero in 2018 - so, should I go for
    a) the less "eco-friendly" 2015 without the DPF that will avoid all DPF pains; but will probably have 60000km.
    b) the more eco-friendly 2017 with the DPF that may or may not make my life miserable.

I intend to drive the car each way to-from work - maybe 20 to 30minutes each way in flowy suburban traffic (I avoid peak hour) with a max speed of 60km/hr for short bursts, otherwise 50km/hr.

I intend to mod the car for 4wd-ing, bulbar, lift, underbody protection, snorkel, AT tyres. So that I can go camping etc. Such adventure trips would happen mostly in the non-hot months and maybe once a month at best.

I may buy the car either cash, or in a novated lease; for either the new one or the second hand one.
    I estimate a 2015 Exceed NX to be around $40000 second hand next year; and the 2017 demo to be around $55000.

I do like the air I breathe and am conscious of the benefits of DPF for the people that have to breathe; but at the same time I don't want trouble with DPFs.

Another separate aspect is whether the RMS rules for lifts that changed in 2015 would apply to the 2015 NX if is was manufactured before the change - even if I did the lift in 2018.

Your advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by oscaroo; 11-12-17, 09:28 PM.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by oscaroo View Post
    Another separate aspect is whether the RMS rules for lifts that changed in 2015 would apply to the 2015 NX if is was manufactured before the change - even if I did the lift in 2018.

Your advice is appreciated.
    The latest version from the RMS is dated November 2016.

This is the document that is currently in force so it applies to modifications done from November 2016 regardless of the year of manufacture of the vehicle. Prior versions did not give you anymore scope for suspension mods.

The rules are very sound and for good reason, if you go too high on a vehicle suspension then handling and the operation of the stability control and traction control systems can be compromised. With an IFS and IRS Pajero you are limited to a 30-40mm suspension lift at the front and 40-50mm at the rear above factory
    specifications.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jimsutt
      • Jun 2012
      • Sydney

Probably a stupid question ..

Excuse my ignorance but what is a DPF?

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

Diesel Particulate Filter and it is part of the exhaust system. They have there own issues if the vehicle is used for regular short trips.

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by jimsutt View Post
          Excuse my ignorance but what is a DPF?
          Check out this video. Cadogan has a bit of a "love him or hate him" delivery style and some things seem a little extreme but there's good info there nonetheless.

If you are on the not-so merry-go-round of DPF near-death experiences, here’s everything you need to know to get you - and your vehicle - back on track

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
            Check out this video. Cadogan has a bit of a "love him or hate him" delivery style and some things seem a little extreme but there's good info there nonetheless.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-...s-dpf-problems

Self proclaimed expert ......more like a self abuser..

I,d go with the 2015 model and save some coin. The money you save can go into mods or paying for holidays. The newness wears off after about 3 years when you suddenly see your $50,000 vehicle is only worth $35,000....
            Last edited by Dicko1; 12-12-17, 10:44 AM.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• jkwpajero
              • Jun 2008
              • Young, NSW

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-...s-dpf-problems

He certainly knows how to take the piss. And he seems to be an expert on everything. A little like a Donald Trump of the automotive world.

James
              2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• oscaroo
                • Dec 2017
                • Sydney

Gday everyone.

Thanks for clearing up about the lift legislation. 4cm front and 5cm back it shall be - when I get to it.
                Thanks for the fun read about the DPF - sounds like I should stay clear from it if I want to conserve my sanity and money.

Oscar.

Comment

• Amok
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

I’ve had my MY17 Paj for over a year now, 25,000 kms, mostly short peak hour traffic to work and back every day. No issues at all with the dpf. You’d never know it was there.
                  MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Jimred07
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Amok View Post
                    I’ve had my MY17 Paj for over a year now, 25,000 kms, mostly short peak hour traffic to work and back every day. No issues at all with the dpf. You’d never know it was there.
                    I've done 12,000 in mine and wouldnt know its there either. Fuel consupmtion on 2017 is in question though.

Not to thread-jack, Amok, can you please post your fuel consumption on the 2017 Fuel consumption thread please, yours seem to be one of the higher mileage MY17's on the forum.

Cheers

Comment

• Amok
                      • Dec 2016
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Jimred07 View Post
                      I've done 12,000 in mine and wouldnt know its there either. Fuel consupmtion on 2017 is in question though.

Not to thread-jack, Amok, can you please post your fuel consumption on the 2017 Fuel consumption thread please, yours seem to be one of the higher mileage MY17's on the forum.

Cheers
                      Sure, done!
                      MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Mike DiD
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

I've had the NS with DPF and even though it only went into Limp-home once when reasonably close to a Dealer, I'm so glad I got the 2015 NX before the DPF was re-introduced. Used the NS only for outer suburban non-peak driving and long distance runs, but one day without warning 500m from home it went into Limp-home. Sold it at 130,000 k after 8 years with virtually the same fuel economy power as when just run in at 20,000k

I would say fuel economy is 10% better in the NX without the DPF.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• oscaroo
                          • Dec 2017
                          • Sydney

Thanks for the extra comments people.
                          My time to buy a 2015 Pajero is approaching.

I have all a filter set up on carsales and have my hopes on a "low km" gray one, preferably in NSW or VIC. Preferably and unmodded one so I can go and mod it.

I think "low km" is maybe 20000km a year tops.

Comment

• aussieintas
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sorell, Tasmania

Just to assist you a bit oscaroo.........the NX was fitted with the DFP from Oct 2016 buoold date onwards. Any built before are non DFP so perhaps you can look at an earlier 2016 model as well as 2015.
                            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• oscaroo
                              • Dec 2017
                              • Sydney

Thank you.
                              I knew the MY16 and MY15 didn't have it. I didn't know the specific cut-off date - but now i know.

I'm trying to stick to the low $40000 mark - and the missus wants it in gray.
                              Most of the gray ones are in Western Australia! - I don't get it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X