• Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Muputrax Recovery Tracks system Review Part1

Disclaimer:
    This is not a comparison review, where several products are compared against each other and a conclusion is made, to select the best product from the field.

It is a review is specifically on the Muputrax Recovery tracks system should be viewed as such.

I bought was the complete set as it is branded as the Muputrax Recovery Tracks System and for a start, the advertising is correct.
    You are buying a Product System, where upon there is a set of two recovery tracks, that make up the body of the system.
    In the package, there came 4 aluminium bench stands, fixing connecting system, velcro strapping, 2 recovery tracks and the all important "Users Manual"
    Price $265.00 for the complete kit plus Postage and Courier delivery, check their web site for details.

The recovery tracks themselves are made up of laminated reinforced fibreglass in a square honeycomb design 35mm thick, 1.2 mtrs long and weight about 8kgs each.
    The square honeycomb design will make the tracks easy to clean, as the sand or mud will fall between the honeycomb square cells.
    The upper surface of the tracks has impregnated crystals (as shown by photo) of various sizes, where the tyres of the vehilce would grip and get traction.
    It is interesting to note, that the upper traction surface of the recovery trax is very rough and it is advised (User Manual) to wear gloves.

The recovery tracks and its contents come with a 3 year warranty.

Interestingly in the Users manual, there is noted the maximum load ratings of the Recovery tracks.

1/. Used as a sand ladder / recovery track...... maximum load... 5000kg
    2/. Temporary bridging.....per single Muputax pair...1500kg
    3/. Used as a bench...250kg
    4/. Used as a table 50kg...aluminuim legs deployed
    5/. Used as a Step Stool...150kg...aluminium legs deployed.

So in respect to item 1, the recovery track can be used as a stable platform to place a Lift jack or Bottle jack on.
    It is mentioned in the "User Manual" when using the recovery tracks as a bridge, due to its design, the track will flex and make a "crackling" noise... this is to be expected and they will revert back to their normal shape.
    The kit comes with two long velcro straps, which can be strapped to the recovery tracks used to locate the tracks, as they become submerged in mud or sand, the straps are coloured black and yellow to help with identification in such an instance.
    It is also shown in the User Manual, that the straps can tie together the recovery tracks to make one long section.
    The 2 recovery tracks can be used as a bench seat and table for eating, levelling ramp, clothes line, step stool and a bike, quad or motorcycle ramp.
    I put all the parts together to make the bench seat and table, it is a bit messy at first but after a while you will get the hang of it and assemble it faster and without much fuss.
    I have noticed, that are many parts to this system, so it would be advisable to purchase the "carry bag" if you plan to take the whole system with you.

In this regard, the Muputraxs is a recovery, bridging and auxiliary system, not just to be used when your vehicle is bogged.

I can't wait to try them out.
    Attached Files
  • rotare
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

Looks like they've just cut up some lengths of non slip grating, added some aluminium bench stands and other bits n pieces to the kit and marketed it as recovery system

Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Products Our Range of Fibreglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Products Grating FRP Australia Grating FRP Australia is a premier FRP products supplier and

I guess so long as it works is all that matters. If it is the same or similar to the non slip grating I linked above it can be brought from time to time relatively cheaply from recycling and junkyards. Had stacks of old stair treads made of that stuff laying around one place I worked. Old stair treads would be a perfect size I suspect.
    2013 NW VRX

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

They even sell the material for this purpose.
      Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Products Our Range of Fibreglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Products Grating FRP Australia Grating FRP Australia is a premier FRP products supplier and

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• rotare
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        They even sell the material for this purpose.

OJ.
        Just gave them a call and they sell theirs for $120 pair (1200 x 310 x 30mm).
        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

Muputrax Recovery Tracks system Review Part1

Good, I know now where I can get extra lengths of track in future if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Peterng; 04-04-17, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
            Good, I know now where I can get extra lengths of track in future if need be.
            The difference between using 2 recovery tracks and 4 is significant when you are in really soft deep sand as you can leapfrog a metre at a time, track to track, to get out of trouble. Recently we need to do this on a trip down to the Limestone Coast and we ended up using 3 sets of Maxtraxs and a set of Treads. Problem was we did not have the lanyards attached and we lost track of a Maxtrax. Over an hour of searching the 30 metre recovery distance by 4 of us and we could not find it. The sand just swallowed it up!

Lesson learned (expensive one).

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

Bugga..
              In mud blokes generally attach a strap to the recovery track so we can it find it and recovery it from the mud.
              Sounds weird...recovering a recovery track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Peterng
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Northern Rivers NSW

As others forum members have alluded to there is another vender where you can purchase these types of recovery tracks from and the prices are very much about $20 difference, with the component of postage and handling to be considered.
                Me, well, being a bit different, I decided to purchase the whole kit, lock and stock.
                When I unboxed the "Recovery Kit", there are a few loose items, these being the aluminium stands, rubber seat covers, fitting plates and straps.
                The fitting plates and their accessories come in a good quality velcro sealed bag, but still, it is still another loose item within the kit.
                In this situation, I could have just put the recovery tracks on the Pajero, throw the aluminium legs with the accessories in the Campertrailer and put the straps in the Pajero.
                This would have worked, but still...maybe a bag would do the job, to fit all the kit in.
                I looked on the www, ebay, gumtrees, camping stores and got bored with all whole exercise...average price for a bag to the proper dimensions, with some extra space varied from...$80 to $140.00 with postage and handling extra in about 90% of the purchases.
                Damn...
                Maybe Plan A would do..for the time being?
                I'll just get back onto the Muputrax website...check again.
                They have 2 bags sizes for the kit..medium and large.
                The large bag...delivered to my post box in Nhulunbuy including express postage...a grand total of $68.00.
                Out comes the "debit" card....deal done.

I got the bag today...3 days after ordering..

The kit bag is blue...constructed of very heavy PVC, with a single heavy duty zipper, a wide heavy duty nylon strap, with a clip lock.
                In putting the whole kit into the bag, easy, the dimensions of the bag, swallow the kit and also have enough room spare for another 2 tracks.
                The stitching on the PVC bag is double stitched on all the connecting seams and joins, it looks to be be quite robust in its construction.
                It is quite a decent PVC bag, with heaps of space and put together quite well.
                It will be interesting to see how the bag handles, the heat, humidity dust out on the tracks.
                Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X