• Show
Clear All
  • peter92
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • maryborough queensland

What gps to buy with 4wd maps included

Hi Guys
    Well its time to start looking for a new GPS and one that also has 4wd maps on it
    The reason I need the 4wd maps is because I have trouble remembering how to put updates on it, due to car accident
    I was thinking of getting one that does life time updates
    So whats your thoughts on one
    Regards Peter
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

For easy of use in your case I can only recommend Garmin safely.
    Every now and than is a sale on for all current devices that includes lifetime updates.
    If you are in a hurry, check the usual electronics shops and their offers.
    But AFAIK for 189$ you can add lifetime map updates to any Garmin through their website.
    For example all models of the Nuvi series should support street and off road navigation (using topo maps).
    You can aslo by a good Nuvi second hand on Ebay, just ask the if he can provide the necessary details for transfer of ownership through Garmin, otherwise you will have a hard time getting legal updates.
    In terms of extra features like FM transmitter, TMC or online services you would have to check in the shops and decide what you need.
    The VMS devices use a modified IGO version for road use and Ozi Explorer with a custom skin for off road use.
    In terms of price and value for money I can't really say more than: for that amount of money I would expect more.
    However if they now offer a Android based device with a good screen it might be worth it.
    Also I don't think they have map updates included in their sales.

They least in terms of lifetime of the actual device I think 3 years worth of updates would be enough.
    Noone knows if by then we would still need to buy maps
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• peter92
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • maryborough queensland

Hi Downunder
      Thanks for the info. Is There one that you know of that I can look at to see what you are talking about
      One that does have street nav and 4wd maps on it already
      The last time I was looking for one I really stuffed up and don't want to go down that road again,ended up buying a sh,t one. at this stage, if I can find a good one I don't mind paying big money for it
      Regards Peter
      bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
      SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

Not really up to scratch when it comes to Garmin
        For I guess it would be best to check the shops for a Nuvi as I have no clue what's available right now.
        Just check for a good screen size and if the device supports topographic maps as well (all Nuvis should do).
        Compare prices and check if you find a shop that gives you lifetime updates for the street maps, the topo maps you might have to buy seperatly from the Garmin website.

If worse comes to worse you can always send me a PM if you can't find anything with lifetime maps included.
        The interface is the same throughout the Garmin range, so all that you have to look for is screen size, suport for topo maps and additional features you might want.
        Depending on your area and the traffic TMC might be worth to have.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• peter92
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2009
          • maryborough queensland

Hi, ive been looking at garmin navi but cant seem to find one that has street and 4wd maps together, any chance you could help me out please
          Regards Peter
          SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• peter92
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2009
            • maryborough queensland

Hi was looking at this one Hema Navigator HN6
            Whats your thoughts on it
            Regards Peter
            SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Downunder35m
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2011
              • Near Melbourne

Here you can compare the current Garmin models by features.
              Harvey Norman has them on sale with lifetime updates for 170-280$.
              Although Garmin claims in their map shop you can get topo maps on these devices, they will work well.
              Check them out and in case you decide on a buy I might be able to help you with the topo map setup

Comment

• peter92
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2009
                • maryborough queensland

Thanks for the link
                I was looking at this nüvi® 2597LMT
                But noticed it doesn't have 4wd maps on it
                Is that what the topo maps are for
                Because we travel all over ausy im not sure what maps I will need and when I will need them
                Regards Peter
                SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Downunder35m
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • Near Melbourne

The problem is that there is no official support for the topo maps from Garmin, that's why they are sold without and why there is no option to buy them in their map shop.
                  As you can see here is says limited support for topo maps - that is enough for Garmin to officially state you can not use them
                  The difference to a dedicated Garmin off road can be checked here.

IMHO I would state "limited support" is good enough having in mind that our AU paper maps and other map providers don't really supply anything that is much better in terms of look and map features.
                  Of course for those dedicated Hema navigators you also have a bunch of additional POI's and info's about permits and so on.
                  But good trip planning involves more than loading the car and starting the GPS, so price wise a Garmin is a god choice in your case.
                  The map updates are included and pretty easy to do over the PC, the topo map only needs to be added once and should be ok for use for a few years.

Comment

• peter92
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • maryborough queensland

Ok, for that, if I read it right your saying get a garmin
                    If price is not a real issue, which one would you chose my me and I may need help putting the 4wd maps on it
                    Regards Peter
                    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Downunder35m
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • Near Melbourne

I would go for the 2557 or if you like to talk to your GPS the 2597 as they both offer a slightly larger screen.

Comment

• peter92
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • maryborough queensland

Yea I had a look at that one but how would I get the 4wd maps on it and how would I get updates to the maps
                        Regards Peter
                        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• steveandviv
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Broome

Originally posted by peter92 View Post
                          Hi was looking at this one Hema Navigator HN6
                          Whats your thoughts on it
                          Regards Peter
                          I love the Hema. I do have the 5i which replaced my in-dash screen with PC running Ozie Explorer and the Hema Maps.

I love that is is a one stop shop and can have a reversing camera attached, Blue Tooth and FM. I also take it to the city with me and use the turn by turn Navi-Trax (I think) software to get around.
                          I build my tracks on the PC and upload the data and similarly down load tracks to convert to Google Earth tracks etc, lots of fun.
                          2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• sharkcaver
                            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                            • May 2009
                            • Perth

The last time I was looking for one I really stuffed up and don't want to go down that road again,ended up buying a sh,t one. at this stage, if I can find a good one I don't mind paying big money for it
                            Regards Peter
                            Pete, if you want something to tick your boxes, and you dont mind paying the outrageous dollars, then the VMS or Hema will be the way to go. As Downunder stated, lifetime updates are a selling term, you may find in 2 years the updates are no longer. A VMS or Hema type unit, comes off the shelf with both road and track maps and will save you having to learn how to get off road maps on an onroad incar gps.

Personally, I wouldn't go down that road myself, but if your not savvy enough to research how to get off road maps on a street device, the Hema/Vms is probably your best option.

Oh BTW, certain Navman's come with both maps. Never seen one to comment on them though.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Downunder35m
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • Near Melbourne

As I said, with the topo map I will be able to help
                              And I agree, the VMS devices are not bad, but totally overpriced.
                              If you take away the map price you would get up to 3 similar devices on the open market.

I guess it all comes down to what one is willing to pay,
                              what he really needs,
                              and most importantly how he can use the device.
                              The Garmin only offers a basic look for the topo map, but at least for all roads and tracks on the map you will get directions and not just a moving map like on Ozi.
                              Considering the Peter already stated he has trouble keeping stuff in his head, I think he will prefer something that can be easily used - both in terms of installing and in terms of using it in the car.
                              Good way to go would be to check out the current Garmins, play a bit with them in the shops and if possible the same for the Hema VMS.
                              When it comes to adding new/additional maps it is the same for both units: get the files on your PC and copy them into the right folder on your device, done.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X