• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ol_Mate
    • Feb 2015
    • Melbourne

Doing cam and crank seals

So looks like the never ending story, I thought doing the rocker cover and tube seals would have solved the leak but murphys law got me. So its a oil leak onto the alternator, right side exhaust manifold. All the signs online says its a front right cam seal.

I already have the two cam seals plus crank seal and new bolt and saving up for the water pump, tensioner, pulleys and belt. Is their anything else i should do while im in there ? Or something to avoid ? Planning to do this job in the next two weeks so any advice from you guns would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
  • Alastair
    • Jan 2016
    • Sydney & Canberra

I have the same leak. It killed the alternator that was in the car 6 months after I bought it (ive had it now for 2 years). Then the next replacement alternator lasted 6months. I buggered it up when I tried cleaning it out so had it replaced by an auto electrician. That alternator was fine until 2 weeks ago when it stopped working.

I had to replace my fan belt so removed the alternator at the same time and gave it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner. The brushes had become stuck in their holes from a thick grime. It was easy enough to clean out though and is now working fine again. I'm guessing i will have 6-12 months before it either needs another clean out or replacing if I dont fix the leak.

Any light you can shed on how to permanently fix the leak will be much appreciated. I did put some stop leak in, but I dont know how well that stuff will work with this leak. I also have it booked in to have the timing belt done later this week. I didnt know it could be the cam seal until i read your post so hopefully that solves the leak for good.

I was considering making some sort of protective cover, but im not sure what material would be best to use as it has to withstand the heat and not block airflow.

Comment

• Ol_Mate
      • Feb 2015
      • Melbourne

Planning to get stuck into it this weekend. All the parts cost me around $350 shipped from the US and hoping the weather holds up on the weekend. The spark plug tube seals had gone hard and brittle when i changed them. Funny thing is though, someone had gone through all the effort of ripping off the intake and tried using red RTV to fix the problem. One of the lead boots was also ripped and the last owner tried using RTV to fix that too ...

I had to replace all the accessory belts so im kind of happy the cam seals went. At 220k it will give me some peace of mind at least knowing the timing belt has been replaced. If any seal is going to give after this one it will be the sump or rear main seal (fingers crossed).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X