Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 15-03-14

Default From Patrol to Paj??? To do or not to do???

Hi All,

So first post.

After being a keen 4wd owner and user on another forum I have been out of the country traveling for 18 months and come home to new needs vehicle wise - I went to ask on my old forum about the NT and noticed there hadn't been a Mitsubishi post in over a year... time for a new forum.

This looks like a great one - everyone keen to help one another.

Anyway due to my first Child my much loved Nissan Patrol TD42 Turbo Diesel intercooled Ute with all the fruit I ever wanted is next to useless.

I own my own business and find the ute very useful due to its full size tray and after briefly looking at Dualcabs and deciding they are pointless - the tray is to small to fit anything in and you don't get the benefits of a wagon which has dry storage.

Looked into wagons which are fringe benefits tax free and the choice is limited. Bog standard landcruiser, 70 series landcruiser or prado (which doesn't appeal at all as I don't think the motor suits the vehicle and price tag).
A Patrol wagon is considered a primarily passenger vehicle so would not be FBT tax free for my usage.

So after this I am seriously considering a NT Diesel Manual Paj. The tow capacity suits me needs, its tax free, economical and for the most part very reliable. I would look forward to the comfort after my truck.

But... One of the main reasons for the Paj over anything else is for 4wding... Bearing in mind with a family on board I wont be playing mud pigs - not that I ever was into mud puddles but i did have some fun on rocks and wash outs, but my current truck is a twin difflocked ute which I used to have 35 inch muddies on. I could go basically anywhere I so chose, then go to work on monday with out damage etc and my only experience with a paj was for my bucks night onto stockton beach where we ripped the rear bumper off the car exiting the beach on the sand.

Has anyone here owned both vehicles - that can explain their experience changing from solid axle to IS with electrickery?

With decent Rubber (nothing crazy maybe 33 AT) and a rear difflock will the paj be a good enough vehicle off road or not. I tend to think it will be, but fear expensive damage (such as the bumper on benign conditions) and some friends from patrol and land cruiser folds are not exactly confident in the paj.

I want to Camp, tour, access areas others cant and potentially drive to the Cape etc.

Next - I have a large 28 foot trailer Gross 2T but is the shape of a shipping container so is 'heavier' to pull. The patrol was great - slow at times but you always get their and hauls at what ever speed I wanted except for the steeper hills. How well do the Pajs tow. I realise their suspension set up may need airbags If I don't want to kill my tyres each trip.

Are their decent Fuel tank options? 88 Litres seems a little paltry after the 180 I'm used to.

Any and all advice and comment welcome.

Cheers
Hanko
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

Welcome Hanko.
The Paj is never going to eat mud, ruts and rocks like the Paj will, but in a lot of scanarios, the Paj will be a better performing and better behaved vehicle.
For high speed dirt road touring, fully independent suspension cannot be beat. The Paj handles fantastically in these sort of conditions, it is very sure footed and hence when driven within limits of course, is very safe.
In the sand the Pajero really excels in my opinion. Relatively low weight (compared to a cruiser or Patrol), good clearance under the diffs (as they are tucked up nice and high, for the independent suspension) and strong power output all make it a good performer in the sand.
As for fuel capacity, a few different manufacturers make auxiliary tanks. The biggest option is the 81L tank from LRA (I have one....) which gives you about 170L. However, this tank can only fit if you don't have the rear aircon system. If you do have rear aircon, you are limited to 60L - 65L tanks. With 150L of fuel on board, you're still gonna get further than your Patrol could have with 180L anyway!
The added bonus of the tank is that is protects your rear bumper from being ripped off. If it wasn't for my Aux tank, I would have ripped my bumper off in the Simpson back in 2012, no question about it!
Hope this helps!
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

I think some of the places people take them would suprise the live axle guys, but they are not a comp truck either.
The NT fuel economy is quite good at about 9L/100Km , quite a good tow vehicle look at how many caravanners have one.

They are quite comfortable on the road.
Super select system let you have a lot of control over whether your in 2WD or 4WD, switch on the fly up to 100Kp/h.

The 3.2DiD is quite a reliable. You will want underbody bash plates, bushskinz who is a forum member on here has a good following. Some pajeros come fitted with rear diff lock, some on here have fitted after market lockers if not fitted with factory.

I'm pretty sure this forum does a annual trip to the cape each year.

I can't give any comparison off road to a partrol, but my mate GU 3.0L TD is gutless compared to my NS.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

Hi Hanko,
I've a NW, and I hang around with a couple of guys that have new patrols. They keep being concerned that I "might not make it" so far where ever they have gone the Pajero has gone as well. So far there has been no situation where the solid axles proved an advantage. The limiting factor on the pajero is you are limited to about 45mm lift kit and 33" tyres because of the suspension set up. This is where the solid axles real advantage is- they can be lifted a lot and take some big tyres. (But these days 50 lift + 25 on tyre radius isall anyone is legally allowed anyway).
The electronic trickery is good, but the standard diff lock is better. There is a fairly simple mod you can do to turn the traction control on with the diff locked to give the front wheels better grip, reports on this forum are that it works well.
Power wise the Paj eats the patrol and fuel tank range is nearly as good even with the patrols much larger tank- last trip they were borrowing my spare fuel, not the other way around.
Damage so far has been a few dents in the intercooler cover (most replace these with something stronger) and quite a bit of bush pinstriping- which we all have.
The Paj does handle well, especially on dirt of uneven surfaces.
Not a direct answer, but I hope this helps.
2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback
Old 15-03-14

Ive got both. A gq swb and an np, both with a 2 inch lift

2 very different trucks. Paj eats the sand on redhead, now that its raised - bash plates bellied out alot.

In the rough stuff, the diffs on the troll diff out all the time and my brother in his nh sails past.

Diff lock and some good tyres will make a paj an extremely good and capable truck.

I reckon youll notice the difference in towing as the 4.2 6 cyl is a truck motor as opposed to the 3.2 4 cyl. Saying that, the only option for a big diesel is a cruiser I think
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglez View Post
Ive got both. A gq swb and an np, both with a 2 inch lift

2 very different trucks. Paj eats the sand on redhead, now that its raised - bash plates bellied out alot.

In the rough stuff, the diffs on the troll diff out all the time and my brother in his nh sails past.

Diff lock and some good tyres will make a paj an extremely good and capable truck.

I reckon youll notice the difference in towing as the 4.2 6 cyl is a truck motor as opposed to the 3.2 4 cyl. Saying that, the only option for a big diesel is a cruiser I think
The nissan 4.2 TD is a 114kW and 330Nm , the Pajero NT is 147kW and 441Nm @2000RPM. So I think you will find it more capable for towing as far as engines go.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

What I like about the 4m41T is that it has over a litre less engine capacity and still has more grunt
I've driven a few NP's and they are from being a slug, even when fully loaded up.

Only diesel I've seen that pulls harder both loaded and unloaded is the navara 3ltr V6 turbo diesel, well over 500nm torque from such a small package is impressive.
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craka View Post
I think some of the places people take them would suprise the live axle guys, but they are not a comp truck either.
The NT fuel economy is quite good at about 9L/100Km , quite a good tow vehicle look at how many caravanners have one.

They are quite comfortable on the road.
Super select system let you have a lot of control over whether your in 2WD or 4WD, switch on the fly up to 100Kp/h.

The 3.2DiD is quite a reliable. You will want underbody bash plates, bushskinz who is a forum member on here has a good following. Some pajeros come fitted with rear diff lock, some on here have fitted after market lockers if not fitted with factory.

I'm pretty sure this forum does a annual trip to the cape each year.

I can't give any comparison off road to a partrol, but my mate GU 3.0L TD is gutless compared to my NS.
How do you get 9litres per 100km on a trip? I can only get 12 around town and 10 on a trip, any tricks, MH
Old 15-03-14
Valued Member

My mates NP 3.2 gets low 9's
No mods, just a toorak tractor basically
Old 16-03-14

Exclamation

Thanks guys.

Some great info to work from. The direct experience comparisons on the same trip and out of the same garage are brilliant to know.

I was interested by the opinion that the patrol would pull better as the paj does have more kw and nm. My truck has modified pump and turbo but one thing I look forward too is some extra pep in its step. But if it does the same Job when towing as the truck that's fine, essentially it's only 20 days a year but on those days it needs to do the job.

Also great to know about the rear tank / bumper set up solution. Does anyone remove the bumper and fit a metal rear bar / step / protection?

I don't expect it to be a comp truck, and yes at times in the ute I have picked the harder lines for the challenge, but essentially what I want is the ability to get there with some smarts. Where ever there happens to be. I tuink 33s with ifs clearance will be better than patrol pumpkin dragging on 35s anyway and that was one of the biggest limitations I found in the patrol. Dragging pumpkins and lack of choice in lines as it is so wide.