Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Old 11-06-19

Default New Patrol

Hi Guys,
Well after 10 years in Pajero's NT and NX it was time to move on, needless to say it was a very sad day as in that time I only ever had a small EGR issue in the NT and an airbag recall in the NX, my big issue was space and needed to get something a little lager internally.
My first thought was the 200 series VX cruiser which is obviously a very capable and proven vehicle but then started researching the Patrols and eventually test drove one, from that point I was sold. I ended up with a Ti model which is a very well equipped vehicle with power to burn the 5.6l petrol V8 matched to the 7 speed auto is a pleasure to drive, I know most would be concerned with fuel consumption from this beast and it's never going to match the turbo diesels but I've been getting around 11.5L/100km highway and around 14-15L/100km city but it will definitely punish you if you try to drive it like a super car!

Overall quality of the car is great and at around $30k cheaper than the VX it was a no brainer for my requirements, overall size is slightly larger than the cruiser and is a pain to park in standard shopping spots but I guess that's the trade off for comfort. Next test will be off road once the new car feeling has worn off.
I will continue to check in from time to time as this forum is 100% on anything else out there!

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by jasper361; 11-06-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-06-19
Valued Member

$30,000 buys a lot of fuel.
Old 11-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
$30,000 buys a lot of fuel.
And a lot of mods
Old 11-06-19
Valued Member

Good choice. I,d take the patrol over the 200 series any day. Still a tank to drive in built up areas. Good luck.
Old 11-06-19
Valued Member

Nice car, the only issue I see off road is the ramp over angle with such a long wheel base.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 11-06-19

Nice choice. I gave very serious consideration to one last year and am still considering one for my next car.
Old 12-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
Nice choice. I gave very serious consideration to one last year and am still considering one for my next car.
I wasn't overly sold on the looks but it has since grown on me but the test drive was the deal clincher..
Old 12-06-19

But for a V8 there isnít a lot of torque and wonít pull compared to a twin turbo 200 or 3.2L Ranger, if only if it came out in a decent sized turbo diesel the Patrol would compete more with the Ranger and 200 series.
2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, BFG KO all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.
Old 12-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paj11 View Post
But for a V8 there isnít a lot of torque and wonít pull compared to a twin turbo 200 or 3.2L Ranger, if only if it came out in a decent sized turbo diesel the Patrol would compete more with the Ranger and 200 series.
The Ranger is a completely different class of vehicle so I don't see them competing. If you look what's happening around the world, diesels are on the way out it's just Australia is behind the times. Not everyone buys the Patrol to tow heavy loads (even though it is more than capable).

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee last year and honestly believe it will be the last diesel I buy. Next car will be another Jeep or Patrol both with V8 petrol, because I love fuel bowsers
Old 13-06-19

My next car will definitely be a Patrol. Drove one and was sold. Series 5 apparently will have car play etc