• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markw829
    • Jul 2019
    • Upwey

Ground clearance and seat removal

First time poster - I have an unmodified 2018 Pajero Sports GLS and heading to the Simpson Desert with friends in Sep. I wanted to know if anyone has done this in a PS and if ground clearance is an issue (PS has 218mm). I am also keen to install Titan drawers into the boot and was wondering if it is possible to remove the 3rd back row of seats? Thx in anticipation. Cheers
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Simpson in September, no problems for a Pajero Sport but best to do a few mods before you go.

1. Replace the front 2 bash plates as a minimum, the factory units are soft, thin and easily mould around everything they are meant to protect, even on sand! Number of options Boo's, Bushskinz, etc, etc, 3mm thick, 4 mm thick, mild steel, stainless steel.
    This will protect your intercooler and bottom of the radiator both are easily damaged in sand and are expensive to replace.

2. Rear suspension is very soft and comfortable when lightly loaded and on good roads but load it up and point it a 1100 sand dunes and it will not be happy. Plenty of options to explore and we can offer first hand experience as the PS suspension is the same as the Challenger's so plenty of options.

3. You need to start thinking about the load you need to carry, how many passengers, how many days food and water, how much fuel ?

4. Tyre's, factory HT or are you changing them?

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 03-07-19, 09:29 PM. Reason: daily replaced with easily
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

OJ's the man to listen to here.

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Simpson in September, no problems for a Pajero Sport but best to do a few mods before you go.

1. Replace the front 2 bash plates as a minimum, the factory units are soft, thin and easily mould around everything they are meant to protect, even on sand! Number of options Boo's, Bushskinz, etc, etc, 3mm thick, 4 mm thick, mild steel, stainless steel.
      This will protect your intercooler and bottom of the radiator both are daily damaged in sand and are expensive to replace.
      I suspect auto-correct changed "easily" to "daily".

In stock form, a Pajero Sport can cross the Simpson - no doubt. The more experienced the driver, the easier it will do it. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the mere fact you're asking suggests you're not the most experienced driver (which is not a criticism, as we all need to start somewhere, and asking some good questions is a good start ). So, I'm suggesting you need to carefully consider which way you want to err - spend less and risk more problems / damage, or spend more and reduce the risks.

2. Rear suspension is very soft and comfortable when lightly loaded and on good roads but load it up and point it a 1100 sand dunes and it will not be happy. Plenty of options to explore and we can offer first hand experience as the PS suspension is the same as the Challenger's so plenty of options.
      OJ is a suspension guru who drives a Challenger, and has crossed the Simpson more than once. I crossed with him a couple of years back, and his Challenger cruised across. He knows what he's talking about.

4. Tyre's, factory HT or are you changing them?

OJ.
      I don't subscribe to the "HTs are best in sand" school of thought. They don't dig down and get you stuck, they simply don't grip and stop you going forward. So you need to hit dunes faster. HTs are also light (for fuel economy) and weak (low puncture resistance) - so they come with an increased risk of tyre trouble.

FWIW, I crossed the Simpson 3 times in 12 months, including the crossing with OJ. On each crossing, every vehicle had decent off-road tyres, and I don't recall anybody having tyre trouble. I also recall that the vehicles that had the easiest time climbing the dunes were the ones with the most aggressive off-road tyres - at the right pressures.

If there is any way you can put good off-road rubber on your PS, I would recommend you do it.

Notwithstanding all the above - do it! Even in factory stock form your PS is capable of the crossing, which is a great experience. If things don't go entirely according to plan, you'll have some great campfire stories for many years to come.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• glyptal
        • Mar 2019
        • katoomba

Second row seat removal

Originally posted by markw829 View Post
        First time poster - I have an unmodified 2018 Pajero Sports GLS and heading to the Simpson Desert with friends in Sep. I wanted to know if anyone has done this in a PS and if ground clearance is an issue (PS has 218mm). I am also keen to install Titan drawers into the boot and was wondering if it is possible to remove the 3rd back row of seats? Thx in anticipation. Cheers
        Hi
        (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this:Newbie!)
        Has anyone removed the second row seats in a Pajero sport?
        You would still has a 4 seater if needed plus room for 6foot sleeping bench with packing. Are there rear seat sensors or any incumberances other than removing some bolts.?
        Thanks for the opportunity to post

Comment

• Flying
          • Jul 2016
          • Sydney

Originally posted by glyptal View Post
          Hi
          (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this:Newbie!)
          Has anyone removed the second row seats in a Pajero sport?
          You would still has a 4 seater if needed plus room for 6foot sleeping bench with packing. Are there rear seat sensors or any incumberances other than removing some bolts.?
          Thanks for the opportunity to post

Yes, I had the 2 seat out for the last year... there is a sensor but it has a plug under the plaatic trim, just pull it up and unplug it...
          White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• markw829
            • Jul 2019
            • Upwey

Thank you OJ and NJ for some great advice which I really appreciate and yes I am inexperienced driving in sand so will definitely get some modifications. Cheers and thank you once again.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Thank you OJ and NJ for some great advice which I really appreciate and yes I am inexperienced driving in sand so will definitely get some modifications. Cheers and thank you once again.
              No problems Mark. It is wise to start thinking and calculating the load you wish to carry for the desert crossing so you can get the correct suspension information and then make an informed choice rather than just going with a popular choice that may or may not suit your requirements and expectations.

HAve you thought about your tyre's for this trip?

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• markw829
                • Jul 2019
                • Upwey

Hi OJ, thanks for previous advice - I have now replaced the plastic bash plates with 3mm metal ones (thx to Boos in Kilsyth). Looking at replacing the rear suspension with KCRS-23 coils to give a firmer ride which will be good for towing the 2.2 tonne caravan. Regarding the Simpson trip, I’ve removed the 3rd row of seats (-35kgs) and installed a false floor and next week will put in a drawer system with slide for fridge (Waeco 50L) along with a solar panel and battery box (about 50kgs in total weight). I’m taking light weight tent, sleeping mats, chairs, food and drinks (about 40kgs). I’m also taking 3x20L spare diesel but this will be put into the back of a mates ute so overall pretty light weight. I’ve got standard factory tyres which I’ll deflate to about 16psi on the sand dunes but wasn’t going to go to additional expense of changing tyres. I’m hoping that should be fine but again appreciate any further advice. Cheers Mark

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Hi Mark,

60 litres of diesel could be a bit light on, which direction are you travelling and what are your planned fuel stops and route.

KCRS-23 are a really nice coil for medium loads but I am thinking you might need KCRR-23 if you are permanently fitting a false floor, drawers, fridge slide and fridge, battery etc etc etc these mane a better choice. Time to start accurately weighing everything. It is amazing how quick the weight adds up! The KCRR-23 are the same spring rate just a longer coil so they ride a bit higher for the same weight.

I would also replace the factory rubber cone springs that are inside the rear coils. Use Peddars 5899 Aeon Cone Springs, these are a tried and proven mod on Challengers and Pajero Sport, they protect your rear coils in deep compression.

Tyre's, running HT's is always a risk, if you are lightly loaded, drive carefully and are lucky then you might not have tyre trouble. Are you travelling with Triton, Challenger with 17" rims or another Pajero Sport, if so you have a backup. If not you risk having to buy a tyre or 2 if you have troubles, expect prices to be much higher than the city and less choice. You only have to damage a factory alloy because of a tyre failure and you are up for close to a $1000!
                  How many kms on your HT's?
                  When you do change them, what are you thinking about fitting?
                  How experienced and setup are your fellow travellers?

OJ.

Comment

• markw829
                    • Jul 2019
                    • Upwey

Hi OJ

I think I owe you a beer with your valuable advice very much appreciated.

Heading from Birdsville to Mt Dare via French Line (I know this is the harder direction as dunes are steeper but my friends are quite experienced and have done the Simpson a couple of times and the recent Royal Flying Doctors ShitBox Rally). Plan to visit the usual sites on the way. Will fill up tank (68L) in Birdsville and top up using the 3x20L containers as required until we get to Mt Dare. I might take another x20L of diesel just to be safe. Looking at the various info online, I think I’ll take your advice and get the KCRR fitted instead of the KCRS as this should help when I tow the van. Definitely will fit the Peddars 5899 Aeon Cone Springs. The HT tyres have only done 16,000kms and my spare tyre is brand new. My wife reckons I’m spending too much on this trip already so don’t think I’ll be able to change over tyres. One of the guys is bringing a couple of spare tyres which fit my car and I’m going to take it easy so hopefully will be right. Thanks for all the incredibly valuable tips it gives me confidence listening to such experienced and generous people such as yourself and others willing to share on this forum. Cheers

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Hi OJ

I think I owe you a beer with your valuable advice very much appreciated.

Heading from Birdsville to Mt Dare via French Line (I know this is the harder direction as dunes are steeper but my friends are quite experienced and have done the Simpson a couple of times
                      Yes, the dunes are steeper, but it's not necessarily harder - for those who know what they're doing.

Travelling the other way, the long and gentle climbs up all the dunes are horribly chopped out by people with the wrong tyres at high pressures - so you either need sufficient traction to walk up the dunes, or flog the bejeezus out of your vehicle to charge over the lumps and bumps, and contribute to the problem.

Heading the way you're going, if you can make it up the steep side, you can roll down the chopped-out side. Having experienced friends is an excellent start!

Will fill up tank (68L) in Birdsville and top up using the 3x20L containers as required until we get to Mt Dare. I might take another x20L of diesel just to be safe.
                      Good idea. If you have a good run, you'll make it to Mt Dare with a little to spare. If you struggle in the dunes, you could be cutting things fine. Driving the route you're planning, twisted32 & I used 107 and 110 litres respectively - but we have aggressive tyres that grip well, and didn't struggle with the crossing. Others in our group used up to 130 litres. You might do better than twisted & I, but you might do worse than others.

My wife reckons I’m spending too much on this trip already so don’t think I’ll be able to change over tyres.
                      Is she going with you?

One of the guys is bringing a couple of spare tyres which fit my car and I’m going to take it easy so hopefully will be right.
                      That's certainly a good thing - presumably they also have tyre repair equipment? What about tubes to suit your tyres?

If you can catch a puncture before it destroys the tyre you can generally save it before it becomes unusable for an emergency (even if you must stuff it with spinifex). The trick is to catch the puncture before the tyre is destroyed. If you can't get a new set of offroad tyres past the minister of finance, can you compromise on a tyre pressure monitor? Make it possible to catch a puncture before the tyre is irreparable. Something like this is less than the cost of one decent off-road tyre, and can save many more than one tyre.

Whatever happens, go, enjoy the experience, then come back and share the good and the bad.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X