• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy polis
    • May 2008
    • Adelaide

Factory Diff Lock

Has anyone had a factory diff lock retro fitted? Is it possible or is it better to go with an air locker?

NS 2007 DiD Exceed, Factory Bar, IPF Sports XS lights, Mickey Thompson 265 75 18 Atz tyres, Custom Shelf/drawer system, Milford Barrier
  • drew4x4
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by andy polis View Post
    Has anyone had a factory diff lock retro fitted? Is it possible or is it better to go with an air locker?

NS 2007 DiD Exceed, Factory Bar, IPF Sports XS lights, Mickey Thompson 265 75 18 Atz tyres, Custom Shelf/drawer system, Milford Barrier
    I would imagine that a factory locker would be rather pricey, Mitsubishi only fit the lockers in the factory at the time of production and not after it's arrived in the country like some other accessories. I've asked ARB, they only do a front locker and not the rear, seems a little strange to me. Other brands may do an after market locker though.

Andrew
    2008 NS Pajero LWB Platinum DID,
    -ARB Dual Battery-ARB Fridge-ARB Compressor-ARB Rear Locker-OME 2"Lift -ARB Deluxe Bar-9000lb Warn Winch-Safari Snorkel-Aux Fuel Tank-IPF Driving Lights-Uniden UHF-Rhino Full length Roof Rack-Iron Man Awning-Diff breathers-Jayco Expanda Outback

Comment

• JoshF
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Brisbane

I suspect with the large rear diff, traction control and all the other aids already present the front diff is really where the extra support is required hence the ARB locker only being available for the front.

I was told awhile back that the rear diff in the Pajero is one of the best available on the market, the front is where we are let down so maybe a front locker makes more sense maybe
      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• BigRed
        • Dec 2008
        • Johannesburg, SA

I got mine factory fitted

For some reason they are not standard here in SA, but you get what comes.... Somehting which I cannot understand.

Some of the new Gen 4's here even come without the roof rails
        Gen 4, GLX, DiD, African outback roofrack, 9500lbs winch, OME all round

If you CAN'T fix it with a hammer, you've got an ELECTRICAL PROBLEM...........But, you can eliminate an electrical problem with a hammer

Comment

• BigRed
          • Dec 2008
          • Johannesburg, SA

I must add:

I use the Paj's traction control on most stuff. Its awesome. Though, in rocky terain and steep assents I prefere driving with the difflock on (which automatically disengages the traction control, ABS and ASC) and I must say that she's crawls like a snake over the obstacle.

I find the traction control needs speed and revs and is most times too fast in most situations.

M2CW
          Gen 4, GLX, DiD, African outback roofrack, 9500lbs winch, OME all round

If you CAN'T fix it with a hammer, you've got an ELECTRICAL PROBLEM...........But, you can eliminate an electrical problem with a hammer

Comment

• Cambo
            • Oct 2008

Andy
            I aksed the same question of a Mitsu dealer here in Perth and was advised that you cannot retro-fit a custom diff lock, no matter how much you may be prepared to pay.
            ARB do have the front diff lock for a Paj and i believe that they were working on a rear one, available in 2009?
            Cheers, Keith

Comment

• psproule
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by jfeek View Post
              I suspect with the large rear diff, traction control and all the other aids already present the front diff is really where the extra support is required hence the ARB locker only being available for the front.

I was told awhile back that the rear diff in the Pajero is one of the best available on the market, the front is where we are let down so maybe a front locker makes more sense maybe
              That quote is usually in reference to the torsen LSD as fitted to the non-traction control models (ie - NM and early NP). Open centre is fitted from then onwards.

Personally I don't think there is a whole lot in it as to which end you would fit it to. Consider that you will likely want it most when going up a steep rutted hill, and that in that scenario most of the weight will be on the rear axle, perhaps the rear axle is the best place for it?

Pat
              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• icysyrup
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • USA

Originally posted by psproule View Post

Personally I don't think there is a whole lot in it as to which end you would fit it to. Consider that you will likely want it most when going up a steep rutted hill, and that in that scenario most of the weight will be on the rear axle, perhaps the rear axle is the best place for it?

Pat
                I agree....in theory when you need a locker most is going "Up" not "Down" obstacles. And when you go "Up" the majority of the weight is transfered to the rear of the vehicle. So it only makes sense that it has the most traction and a rear locker would be the best investment over a front.

Also I am not saying a front will not be good, cause it would be, but in a Front Vs Rear locker debate, I would have to side with the Rear axle.
                03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

If you're only going to fit one locker, fit it to the front.

As pointed out, it's typically needed most on a climb, when the weight is over the rear wheels. If the front diff is open, as soon as one wheel lifts, the front is doing nothing - only the rear wheels will be driving.

Lock the front diff, and as long as one front wheel is on the ground, the front end is doing some work.

A South Australian 4wd club did a test with some Patrols. Front locker only got them much further than rear locker only.

BTW: the ARB front locker was developed because of demand, and the fact that the one model locker fits most Pajeros (and some Hyundais). ARB have announced the part numbers for rear lockers for Gen 2 large diff (3.5/2.8) and IRS models. They have taken this long because the perceived demand was low.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Rocketsurgery
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    A South Australian 4wd club did a test with some Patrols. Front locker only got them much further than rear locker only.
                    When they did that test, did the test vehicle have an open diff at the rear or the standard Patrol LSD? If it had the standard patrol diff, that is probably the most effective LSD on the market, so the evhicle really was virtually locked front and rear. No wonder it went further.

I'd go with Icysyrup - locker in the rear.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Rocketsurgery View Post
                      When they did that test, did the test vehicle have an open diff at the rear or the standard Patrol LSD? If it had the standard patrol diff, that is probably the most effective LSD on the market, so the evhicle really was virtually locked front and rear. No wonder it went further.

I'd go with Icysyrup - locker in the rear.
                      If the rear had a standard Patrol LSD, I would agree with you. However, it didn't. It (one Patrol only - sorry) had ARB lockers front and rear, wired so that either could function independently.

If there can be only one, put it in the front. If you only have a rear locker you will wish you have a front locker too. I only have a front locker (& rear LSD) and don't want a rear locker.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Errol
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Brisbane

I am with NJ SWB. We have proved it many times.
                        Last edited by Errol; 22-12-08, 07:47 PM.
                        Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

I respect the difference of opinions and accept the test results, although for a different vehicle.

But dont forget how good the traction control is on these either. I had my NP off on some fairly steep rock shelf type tracks around Newcastle yesterday. Plenty of front wheel cocked action, and every time the traction control simply grabbed that wheel almost immediately, keeping the drive to the other side of the axle. Occasionaly progress halted when the rear lost some traction too but all I had to do was maintain a light and steady throttle and wait for it to do it's stuff.

Interesting was a report from a magazine (however untrustworthy) that they actually felt that an NS they had on test went further with the traction control rather than the diff lock (remembering that when the factory diff lock is on the traction control is bypassed).

I think it a) comes down to the vehicle, and b) there is not a lot in it. If I had an NM with the Torsen rear LSD and no TC I would fit one to the front (we owned an NM before the NP). With this NP I would fit an aftermarket one to the rear so I could maintain the TC for the front. Particularly after yesterday's drive this is where it feels like it realy needs it.

And if we could work out a neat set of sway-bar disconnects I would jump at those!

Pat
                          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                            With this NP I would fit an aftermarket one to the rear so I could maintain the TC for the front. Particularly after yesterday's drive this is where it feels like it realy needs it.
                            I like the concept - maintain steering and minimise wheelspin.

But wheelspin isn't the only issue. With an open diff at the front, once one wheel lifts, the front axle isn't driving (I had to be reminded of this just recently...) If both rear wheels still have traction, and aren't spinning, the front isn't spinning so traction control isn't doing anything - and neither is the front axle.

Lock the front diff and it will pull as long as one wheel has traction.

So. We need ARB lockers front and rear AND traction control.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• M@S@
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by icysyrup View Post
                              I agree....in theory when you need a locker most is going "Up" not "Down" obstacles. And when you go "Up" the majority of the weight is transfered to the rear of the vehicle. So it only makes sense that it has the most traction and a rear locker would be the best investment over a front.

Also I am not saying a front will not be good, cause it would be, but in a Front Vs Rear locker debate, I would have to side with the Rear axle.
                              Front axle has less wheel travel, which means power escapes from there much easier, that is one reason why locker in front axle might be more useful.

On hills maybe rear locker.

Well, best solution would be lockers on both ends.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X