• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

you could go to a prenail frame and truss plant and ask if they have LVL off cuts.....LVL is like oversized ply ,35 or 45 mm thick in various widths, 190 would be common i think wider maybe not so common but available in widths 240 300 400 even 600mm
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Ent
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2014
      • Tasmania

Bit more 4x4 exploring so starting to look at the recovery gear with bit more of a critical eye.

Standard hydraulic jack appears to be developing issues that others have had. Tried a Toyota screw jack from the wreckers but not enough height to tackle the 265x75x16 wheels on the front. Ok on the standard profile. Anyway, friend's need was greater than mine so it got donated. His scissor jack buckled and bent out of shape for his Mitsubishi Outlander.

So toying with a high lift jack versus exhaust/compressed air jack. Used a high lift jack on the old Falcon XYs in my youth, and yes care is needed plus stable surface. Told exhaust jacks can roll around making for a very unstable vehicle.

So all types have issues. My concern is a wrecked tyre on a rough track. In Tassie it can be kilometres before you can find even rough level ground. Also, had colleges knock tyres off at low sand pressures when clambering over rocks and have battled to change a tyre.

Be good also to lift a vehicle to put stuff under the wheels for traction.

I have rocksliders and tow bar that could be jacked off but nothing on the front.

So has anyone used a highlift jack or airbag type in anger? Quality brands? I have a Tirfor so no need to improvise a winch. Also conscious that my recovery gear and tools is starting add up to a significant weight. Coming to the conclusion that you can not take everything
      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Ent, where are you locating the Toyota screw jack when jacking the front?

cheers, OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Ent, see my post #24 in this thread.

cheers, OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

Ent, just how much height do you need to adequately lift the front wheels? You can get a 3T mechanical screw jack that will go to 500mm, and with a suitable piece of plywood or other baseplate, even higher.
            BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

Hi OldJack

It is the "approved" jacking point. I used it under the wishbone with a piece of timber to spread the load. Made sense as much lower lift required so more stable, but noticed the wishbone plate dimpled as so weak and low quality steel. Also got a hell of a shock on how poor the welding was At times with other vehicles that I have used a low bottle jack I had and never struck the issue as other vehicles' wishbone arms were massively strong. In fact looking at nuts used for splash plates and even the wheel studs I get a strong feeling Mitsubishi uses the cheapest steel money can buy. No doubt computer modeling means it works, but only if you stick to their way of doing things, and do not take liberties.

So decided to stick with Mitsubishi's specified jacking points. Normally at home use trolley jack so not such an issue, but with the extra droop with the long travel rear I can no longer jack a whole side up with the smaller trolley jack, and the bigger one is just too heavy nowadays to handle with a recovering arm from a bad break. Twice now the block of wood I was using to "extend" the height failed, so little more careful nowadays using no "height" extending blocks.

On the weekend had a "stake" that tried to find its way in between the bead and the rim as I was running low pressures to ensure stable grip. Lower pressures stopped a lot of side slip but probably allowed this rather rotten stake make its attempt. Anyway, the bead held so no need to change a tyre, but looking for spots on the track highlighted a "flat, solid, level" surface required in the manual simply did not exist, OH&S types just do not get the bush A

Cheers
              2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Because of my health issues, I bought a 2T electric scissor jack off Ebay. It resides in my wife's Outlander, but gets used when I do wheel rotations at home. It lifts the Outie OK, but groans a bit when trying to lift the Pajero. So much for 2 T capacity - I am only lifting one wheel at a time. However, it does lift the Pajero (just).

For travelling, I use a 2 T trolley jack which I bought years ago from a local market. I used it in Bright 2 weeks ago and it lifted the rear of the Pajero quite well. My biggest gripe is the fact that you have to get under the vehicle to place the jack correctly. Great if you are dressed in a suit & tie (perish the thought of that). I would be very reluctant to use any trolley jack with less than 2 T nominal lifting capacity because my little 2 T jack is, I reckon, near its limit with My Pajero. It has a shortish handle, and that limits the leverage you can apply to the jack itself.

For home, I also use a 2T trolley jack with quick lift, but this has developed a leak and piddles oil all over the floor when I use it, hecnce the electric jack last time. Again, a real pest having to crawl under to find the jacking points.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • doncaster east vic

I've been looking into this and out of all the bottle jacks I’ve found this super cheap one has decent lift (478mm), its a bit taller than the factory so it may be an issue with a flat tyre though.

I watched a comp guy with a flat tyre get out a scissor jack it had a block welded to the top to make up some height and and a wheel nut welded to the threaded bit, he whipped out the cordless impact with the socket already in it, jacked the car up, undone the wheels all with the same impact gun amazing how quick it was.
                  Last edited by GOSSAMER; 26-02-16, 07:23 AM.
                  Back from the Dark side
                  NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• m1s3ry
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Kalorama, VIC.

Ever since i had an issue with flat tyres, i always carry 2 bottle jacks. If you run oversize tyres, one jack gets the car up enough to get the bigger jack under and lift the car high enough to change the wheel.

Everybody should try changing a dead flat tyre the next time they are out in the bush.

This is a very old picture
                    Steele Perkins (#1263)
                    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• insect_eater
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Canberra

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

I use it with a ply base board and have welded an extension in the crank handle so I do not need to get under the car the operate.

Hi OJ - I've sourced a similar Landcruiser jack, but handles are rare. I was thinking of buying 2M of 6mm mild steel bar and bending a handle up. Is mid steel up to this type of use?
                      NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
                        Hi OJ - I've sourced a similar Landcruiser jack, but handles are rare. I was thinking of buying 2M of 6mm mild steel bar and bending a handle up. Is mid steel up to this type of use?
                        My handle us made from 8mm bright steel rod and the crank section of the handle is a our 350mm long, this is only just gives enough leverage so I reakon 400mm would be better. Whilst the overall length for the Challenger is ok, it is a bit short for the Pajero as they have a greater rear overhang. You need to decide where you are going to store it then make it as long as possible.

OJ.

Comment

• insect_eater
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Canberra

Thanks OJ!
                          NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X