Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > The Bargain Store

The Bargain Store Tell us what is cheap ...cheap ....cheap!

Old 19-08-20

Default Tyre pressure monitor system (TPMS)

I was browsing through EBay the other day and came across the tyre pressure monitoring system unit. It consists of solar TPMS monitor and 4 sensors which screw onto the tyre valve which connect to the monitor via WiFi. It gives out the tyre pressure reading andd the tyre temperature. The system pairs automatically it sends out an alarm when tyre pressure is low or tyre is overheating. I think it is a great little device. On Ebay search for TPMS .... Mine cost me about 50 bucks. I am going to get another one for my caravan.

Happy motoring

Baz
Old 19-08-20

Good idea. Many of us have been running a TPMS for years.
Recent thread about these and which ones are best.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...highlight=Tpms

Jim
Old 02-09-20

I've been running an ebay $35 'solar' TPMS since March. All was going well up until a couple of weeks ago when the left front tyre sensor stopped sending. I suspect its a dead battery in the sensor but it doesn't have nice way to pull it apart. Ebay seller did not respond to my message, as expected.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Sol...72.m2749.l2649
2013 NW GLX. 268,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar | Boo's bashplates | 4x4 Tough (Aldi) Winch | Underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator | D697 265/70r17 | Rhino tracks & vortex bars | DIY rear drawers | Waeco CF40 | 60L water bladder | 2.5m awning | Vlad TC mod | UH8060.
--SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Old 02-09-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turorit View Post
I've been running an ebay $35 'solar' TPMS since March. All was going well up until a couple of weeks ago when the left front tyre sensor stopped sending. I suspect its a dead battery in the sensor but it doesn't have nice way to pull it apart. Ebay seller did not respond to my message, as expected.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Sol...72.m2749.l2649

Check out this you tube clip. Shows how to replace the battery..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5iTvA4vts

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 03-09-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Check out this you tube clip. Shows how to replace the battery..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5iTvA4vts
Cheers, I've seen that video before but my tyre sensors are a slightly different shape/size, the plastic seam looks like it is glued/welded. I'll have another play around when I get time
2013 NW GLX. 268,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar | Boo's bashplates | 4x4 Tough (Aldi) Winch | Underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator | D697 265/70r17 | Rhino tracks & vortex bars | DIY rear drawers | Waeco CF40 | 60L water bladder | 2.5m awning | Vlad TC mod | UH8060.
--SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Old 03-09-20
Valued Member

The eBay listing says it includes a battery replacement tool which looks like a spanner of some sort. Did you get that with the kit ?
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 05-09-20

Update: I found the spanner that came in the box & swapped the front L & R sensor batteries around, the TPMS still read 00 on FL. Thought that was a little strange, so turned the TPMS on & off. All sensors were then reading 00, so I took it for a drive, unscrewed/rescrewed each sensor, still read 00.

A trip to Jaycar, 4x new 1632 cells & I have 4 working sensors again. It seems that for several weeks at least, the TPMS has just been displaying the last received values from the sensors before their batteries went flat. The included cells lasted ~6 months, no idea how old they actually were, I'm interested to see how long Jaycar's 'eclipse' batteries last.
Old 05-09-20
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turorit View Post
It seems that for several weeks at least, the TPMS has just been displaying the last received values from the sensors before their batteries went flat.
Seriously? So what would've happened had one of your tyres actually gone flat while the sensor battery was flat?

Arguably, you could have noticed that the tyre pressure hadn't changed for weeks, but you didn't - that's OK, you bought a system to warn you of tyre pressure problems, why should you need to watch them that closely? In the US all new vehicles are required to have a TPMS as a safety system - what's the point of a safety system that doesn't "fail safe"?

Sorry, but your TPMS is not fit for purpose. Don't replace the batteries again - replace the system with a real one.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 05-09-20
Valued Member

Gotta agree with nj swb. That's pretty bizarre behaviour for a safety system. My TPMS (Safety Dave) gives an annoying audible beep and shows blank tyre pressure and temperature readings on a tyre when its sensor battery runs out. Admittedly it did set me back a bit more than $35.....
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads
Old 06-09-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
Gotta agree with nj swb. That's pretty bizarre behaviour for a safety system. My TPMS (Safety Dave) gives an annoying audible beep and shows blank tyre pressure and temperature readings on a tyre when its sensor battery runs out. Admittedly it did set me back a bit more than $35.....

Same here...no pressure means the annoying beep!

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper