• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Door latch step

Has anyone used this door latch step? I wonder if the door latch can actually be used this way. Bought one anyways for $15.28 delivered.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dreamerman; 12-04-19, 02:18 PM.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
    Has anyone used this door latch step? I wonder if the door latch can actually be used this way. Bought one anyways for $15.28 delivered.
    The blurb under the photo talks about "2500 pounds", but doesn't talk about the direction of that force.

Simple leverage principles mean that the latch will be experience more force than simply the weight of the person standing on the step - but it's difficult to judge how much leverage / extra force will be experienced, and it's unlikely that 2500 pounds will be reached.

The 2500 pounds is most likely a "failure force" - the latch can't shear. They probably don't care if the latch bends.

What will you do if this step bends the latch (or the B pillar), and you can no longer close your door?

For $15.28 delivered, I wouldn't trust standing on anything other than a block of wood on the ground.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

I agree with NJ_SWB.

While I like the idea, I wouldn't trust the strength of the latch, the material that its fixed to, in fact, the step is probably the only part that I would trust.

Pity though, it would be nice to be able to reach the roof rack with such a simple device.

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• alanymarce
        • Apr 2015
        • Colombia

We have this step and have used it frequently throughout our last trip (10 months). It works perfectly, and we are confident in its strength - no evidence of any weakness, cracks, or other concern. Can't rermember the price however it was less than AUD 25.00 I'm sure.
        Attached Files

Comment

I have one and use it to tie stuff on the roof racks all the time. No problems with it so far.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X